Early CHL class

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BambooShoots
Posts in topic: 1

Early CHL class

Post by BambooShoots »

I understand that it's possible to take the CHL class before turning 21 (up to 3 months out, or is it 6?).

I'm confused as how to go about to doing it. I'd like to take a CHL class two weeks earlier than the day I turn 21. Do I register for the class, take it and complete the packet, and wait until my 21st birthday to send the packet in? Or will the instructors not complete the paperwork (notarizing, etc) before I turn 21; I'll have to visit my instructors again when I turn 21 to get the packet notarized?

FWIW I plan to take the class at Champion Firearms in College Station. Hoping to attend their 3/9 class, as I turn 21 on 3/22 and would prefer not to wait until 3/30 to take the class.
CHL Class taken: 3/5/08
CHL Packet Sent: 3/24/08
CHL Packet Recieved by DPS: 3/25/08
Check Cleared: 4/1/08
PIN Number Recieved: 4/12/08
CHL Licence Issued/Active: 6/1/08
In the mailbox: 6/5/08
72 days.

1st Renewal
Online app.: 1/3/13
Class: 1/27/13
Mailed: 1/28/13
Paperwork received: 1/31/13

seamusTX

Re: Early CHL class

Post by seamusTX »

You can take the class any time. I doubt any instructor would refuse to allow it if you were not yet 21.

Since you know where you are planning to go, you can call and ask them.

On one of the affidavits, you affirm that you are 21 years of age. I would have thought that you should not sign and date that affidavit until you are actually 21. However, several instructors now have said just go ahead, and mail the affidavit on your birthday.

Good luck.

- Jim

Greybeard

Re: Early CHL class

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "On one of the affidavits, you affirm that you are 21 years of age. I would have thought that you should not sign and date that affidavit until you are actually 21."

Agreed (as both a notary and CHL instructor). This avoids possibility of "false information". It would mean not being able to mail until 21'st birthday.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”