Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SA-TX
Posts in topic: 2

Carry of pre-1899 weapons

Post by SA-TX »

Charles and/or other attorneys,

Here are some questions that stemmed from a bit of Penal Code research:

1) Given the definition of "firearm" in Penal Code section 46.01, and handgun which flows from it, is a CHL needed to carry a pre-1899 handgun?
2) If not, then is there any reason why it couldn't legally be carried openly, partly concealed, or concealed, as decided by the carrier?
3) Futher, would a pre-1899 handgun be exempt from all of the other prohibitions in section 46 (42 -- prohibited places, UCH by a license holder, etc.).
4) Since Section 42 (Disorderly Conduct, among other things) doesn't define "firearm" nor does it refer to a definition elsewhere do you think simply openly carrying a holstered pre-1899 handgun would qualify as disorderly conduct within the definition of 42.01(a)(8) ("displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;")
5) Is there any other provision of law that could make the carry of a pre-1899 firearm, openly, partly concealed, or concealed a crime or that it would be a crime given certain circumstances (time, place, location, manner, etc.)?
6) Is there any case law on this topic?
7) If one were arrested and initially charged with UCW or any other Section 46 charge :mad5 which was later dismissed, would the arrest alone cause other problems (you'd have to disclose it on your CHL renewal form wouldn't you?)? Could you have it expunged or otherwise wiped away since you never actually violated any law?

My thoughts as a non-lawyer:

1) Jackpot! This appears to exempt you from all the things we dislike about the TX handgun laws: UCW w/o a CHL, CHL being concealed only, 51%/court offices/other prohibited places. :woohoo
2) Internet references don't really mean much unless they are from a government agency but here are a few that are interesting that relate directly to pre-1899 weapons and how TX law is written:

http://www.rawles.to/Pre-1899_FAQ.html
Non-government source discussing pre-1899 firearms for federal and state law purposes.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publication ... unt/means/
Texas Parks & Wildlife about felons in possession for hunting. They say pre-1899 is LEGAL because of the 46.01 definition.

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/safe/ch37/37.007.htm
Texas Education Agency recognizing that pre-1899 weapons aren't "firearms" for the purposes of mandatory explusion.

3) Having "prohibited places" be not-applicable would mean that you could carry darn near anywhere (yes, there are exceptions like federal property, Indian reservation, etc., but from a state point of view, it is darn near everywhere). :anamatedbanana

What am I missing?! It seems like the ultimate "carry-anywhere-for-free" solution.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry of pre-1899 weapons

Post by WildBill »

There is a thread started by LedJedi that discussed this. Do a search for black powder. Keep your powder dry. :cool:
NRA Endowment Member

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

IANAL. And I have not researched the sections lf law that are being cited. Furthermore, I am not even curious enough about this to bother doing so. So if someone wants to say that I do not know what I am talking about, I fully agree.

But I would strongly advise people to not attempt to use this "technicality" whether it is valid or not. My instinct tells me that anyone trying this is gonna end up in jail and will probably lose their gun rights forever (after spending many thousands of dollars on attorney fees).

To me, this whole thing has "TROUBLE" written all over it.

It reminds me of the line that the 16th Amendment wasn't properly ratified, so you don't have to pay federal income tax.

You wanna carry a gun in TX? Get a CHL, carry any gun you want (new or old), keep it concealed, don't carry it in prohibited places, and enjoy this great life that the Lord Almighty has blessed us all with.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

:iagree:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Would you trust your life with a 100+ year old antique?

I'm all for pushing boundaries, but this might be a bit far. It would at least be expensive to push it. :smash:
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

flb_78 wrote:Would you trust your life with a 100+ year old antique?
Why not? Lots of people trust theirs to a 1911 that was designed nearly that long ago. If maintained properly, most quality guns will function for centuries.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

KD5NRH wrote:
Why not? Lots of people trust theirs to a 1911 that was designed nearly that long ago. If maintained properly, most quality guns will function for centuries.
"rlol"
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

KD5NRH wrote:
1. There's a big difference between designed 100 years ago and manufactured 100 years ago.

2. "If maintained properly" is a huge assumption to make about a weapon unless you have a detailed history over the entire 110+ years.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

If I had tested and fired it enough at the range... sure.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

LarryH wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:
1. There's a big difference between designed 100 years ago and manufactured 100 years ago.

2. "If maintained properly" is a huge assumption to make about a weapon unless you have a detailed history over the entire 110+ years.
The guns don't have to be antiques either they just have to be of the type, reproductions are fine.

I Wouldn't advise anyone to carry carry a 100 year old weapon, it would be a shame to destroy a piece of history.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
SA-TX

Post by SA-TX »

The reproductions can't use rimfire or centerfire ammunition. Actual pre-1899 guns don't have that restriction. See the definition in Penal Code section 46.01.

For those who are wondering:

1) I have a CHL and I carry concealed and I don't carry in prohibited places.
2) I have no desire to become a test case.
3) I was throwing this out to the lawyers as a topic for discussion. Noticed how I addressed it.
4) I very much understand the distinction between technically legal -- if it is -- and smart to do. See #2.
5) I also agree that virtually no police officer would understand that openly carrying a pre-1899 handgun is legal -- if it actually is -- and that you would most likely be arrested and have to fight it out in court. See #2 above.
6) As far as a nearly 110 year old gun is conerned, I'm not a gunsmith but I would think that a revolver mechanism is simple enough that, properly cared for, yes it could be reliable. Am I carrying such a weapon? No.

So far, I've read lots of practical reasons why this shouldn't be done. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with any of them but that still leaves my original question: is it actually legal?

SA-TX

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

SA-TX wrote:So far, I've read lots of practical reasons why this shouldn't be done. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with any of them but that still leaves my original question: is it actually legal?
SA-TX
Legally, Yes, It sounds legal.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

KD5NRH wrote:
Actually, the basic design goes back earlier than that, the 1911 was merely a modification to meet military specifications.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

SA-TX wrote:So far, I've read lots of practical reasons why this shouldn't be done. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with any of them but that still leaves my original question: is it actually legal?
Yes, it's legal. The law is pretty clear.

Someone carrying an "antique", especially OC, will more than likely wind up having to prove their innocence, despite the Constitution.

Were I a millionaire activist, I'd consider it a worthy "test case" project.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”