When to call 911

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

phddan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: When to call 911

Post by phddan »

Nazrat wrote:As a former Marine infantryman, our saying was "Shoot, move and communicate." I believe that is the appropriate order of things in most circumstances. Someone else can dial the phone if I am confronting an armed suspect. Absolute concentration is required for that type of confrontation IMO.

Ditto.
Except the part about being a Marine. (Not that there is anything wrong with that :lol: ) Former wing nut, here.

Dan

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

I am likely one of the most vocal supporters of Joe Horn on this forum, but I agree with you. I really don't think the dispatcher did anything wrong. Mr. Horn was quite dumb to rattle off on a recorded line. I would have told them there was a burglary, described myself, and stated I was in fear of my life, and given my address. I would have left the line open and set it on the counter. If I intended to engage the BG's, it would not be discussed with the dispatcher as I have already notified them that I am armed.

Tajovo wrote:
locknload wrote:I'm in my house and hear something. By the time I finally get the sleep out of my eyes and realize something's about to happen ... it's too late to call 911 or the phone is in the other room. Well, then, let's say that I have time to call, but would I really want to waste time arguing with the dispatcher, which would take my mind off my own safety and that of my family?
What makes you think that a dispatcher wants to argue with you?
locknload wrote:I heard the Joe Horn tapes on local TV. The dispatcher kept trying to talk to him, while his mind needed to be elsewhere. She could have prevented him from making the right decision or confused him enough that he made the wrong decision. IMHO, she made the situation worse than it needed to be by meddling. You don't keep after an older person, because you confuse them enough that they can't think as straight as they would otherwise. You could tell his approximate age by the sound of his voice, so she had to have a clue.
You mean HE, the dispatcher was male. How did the dispatcher meddle? By asking Mr. Horn to stay inside? Sounded to me like he was concerned for the safety of Mr. Horn and was trying to keep him out of harms way.
locknload wrote:I think there is wisdom in that, where it applies to our situation being discussed here. You want them to know that you are in trouble, so they can send help. However, you don't want anything said that can be used against you. I think, just merely out of my inability to hold onto a gun and a phone at the same time, I would lay the phone down or accidentally drop it and not have time to pick it up again until everything was all over with.
And how is a dispatcher to discern what type of help you need or how much if you just drop your phone. Granted, "when in doubt, send em out". But a little info goes a long way to provide the proper assistance.
locknload wrote:I do think I would, given time to do so, call 911, so the ambulance could come, if I or members of my family needed it and to let the cops know that I was the good guy. It's for certain that the BG isn't going to be making a call, so I'd tell 911 what HE looked like, so there'd be no miscommunication. I'd make certain that the 911 operator knew that everyone else were good guys, because, from Joe Horn's conversation, it doesn't seem like the IQ requirement for the 911 operator job is too stringent.
Please elaborate on how you came to this conclusion.
locknload wrote:Also, from that conversation, the lady wasn't interested in listening to him. She obviously wanted to control the situation, rather than allowing him to control his environment. Another good reason to state your message and set the phone down, so that you can make the right decision. Pilots are taught that it is we, who are in command of our situation, not the controller. We will be the one, who lives or dies by our actions, and the controller is safely on the ground, without any idea as to what is really going on in the cockpit. The same applies to the 911 operator. She can only guess what is going down, so all her directions may just add to the confusion and danger.
The MALE dispatcher was listening to Horn. It’s hard to control a situation over the telephone, which is why most dispatchers don’t try to control the situation, we try to control the “conversation� because we need information that is vital to assisting our officers, for their safety and yours.

I’ll agree with you on one point, a 911 operator can only guess what is going down. And that sir is why we ask questions.

No offense intended Locknload. As a 911 operator/ police dispatcher I've been privy to listening to some 911 calls where the dispatcher truly failed to do their duty. This was not one of those calls, IMHO.

Just in case you want to give it another listen.

To answer the original questions posed:

Personally if I feel that there is time to call, then I’m going to call, give the pertinent information to the operator and promptly hang up so the situation can be addressed accordingly. If there is no time, then I’ll be calling after the action.

If I am with other people, then I would have someone else make the call while I deal with the threat.

My two cents, spent.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

I'm under the impression the only grammer checkers on this board are our fellow forum members. I'm always open to constructive critisism, but would prefer it to be done via "pm" rather than being scolded in front of the entire membership.
(Note: paragraph break here) I agree with the above posts re: deal with situation first, then call when time is of the essence.
(Note: paragraph break here) This leads to me to ponder the following: In a world where "anything you say may be held against you", is anybody concerned that an opinion expressed on this forum might be brought to light (and twisted to the advantage of some prosecuter) if, God forbid, one of us has to use deadly force?
Please, fellow members post your ideas and thoughts in regards to above. Thankyou.
Last edited by mctowalot on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

mctowalot wrote:(Note: paragraph break here) This leads to me to ponder the following: In a world where "anything you say may be held against you", is anybody concerned that an opinion expressed on this forum might be brought to light if, God forbid, one of us has to use deadly force?
There are certain topics I won't discuss online for exactly that reason.

I have a plan for calling 911. I have a plan for interacting with responding officers. I'm not going to post the details online.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

mctowalot wrote:Please, fellow members post your ideas and thoughts in regards to above. Thankyou.
Posts on this forum, and on the internet in general, can be read by millions of people. In view of this fact, one should be mindful of what one says. Even though you have a screen name you may not be as anonymous as you might think. There are some forum members who read posts regularly, but seldom post themselves. Those are my thoughts. :smash:
NRA Endowment Member

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Back to the original question: If 911 is going to be called, then you should be the one to make the call, and you should do so as quickly as you safely can.

Remember the motto: victims call 911, perpetrators have 911 called on them. First one to call is automatically perceived as the "victim".

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”