Capital Metro buses in Austin, UT Shuttle buses

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CharlieH
Posts in topic: 1

Capital Metro buses in Austin, UT Shuttle buses

Post by CharlieH »

I went to Austin's Trail of Lights last week. Since the traffic is terrible, the city operates a shuttle from the State parking garages downtown.

When I went to board a bus after a very long wait, some of the buses had the UT Shuttle logo (including the one I was on). I know these buses are owned by a subcontractor for Capital Metro and operated for the University under a contract between Capital Metro and the University of Texas. Would this constitute "a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution" under 46.03? Would this apply in this situation? I haven't ridden UT shuttle routes since I was a student, but it would be possible to ride a shuttle and not actually go to UT. If the bus were on its normal route would it be a school bus? I also know that AISD has in the past (I don't know if they do currently) used Capital Metro to provide transportation for the magnet programs. They also used UT shuttles that weren't in use those times of the day. Now obviously nobody could carry while the bus was on an AISD route. Could it have any affect?

I don't think it is common, but what if there was a non school related function that rented/chartered actual school buses?

Sorry for the long and hard to follow message.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”