Katy Mills Mall & Bass Pro Shops

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Katy Mills Mall & Bass Pro Shops

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

TEX wrote:I don't know where in the world you guys get this "Katy Mills Mall is posted" stuff. I have been in that mall hundreds of times and never seen any 30:06 signs.
TEX
There have been other threads about this mall. In at least one case that I can recall, someone posted a photo of a 30.06 sign at one of the mall's main entrances (not a store entrance).

The last time I was there was in 2005, on my way home from the NRA Annual Meeting in Houston that year. I did not notice any signs and carried in there like I always do. But I do not recall which entrance I used either.

In general I honor obviously compliant or near compliant signs when I see them, though I must admit in honesty that I have walked by them a few times. It depends on the circumstances.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

lionswrath79
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lionswrath79 »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:Either I have not noticed, or even seen any restrictive signage at the new BPS at BW8 and 288 south of Houston...So I am not sure if its a corporate wide policy there...I would not be surprised if it was, but since there has not been anything I have noticed at the one place I have been to a few times...I cannot say much more about that...
I was at that store both yesterday and today. (I was visiting Houston on business.) They have non-compliant "Guns must be checked" signage at the entrance.

I ignored it and carried anyway.

It's a nice store. I picked up some ammo at pretty reasonable prices and a few other accessories, drooled over some of the Lecia and Zeiss binoculars (and some nice Leopolds too), and checked out the handgun selection. (Ruger MK III for under $300. Not bad for a quality plinker or first bullseye gun.)

Since they have suggestion boxes all over the place, I took the opportunity to fill out a card saying, "Lose the 'Guns must be checked' signs, as they are insulting to CHLs."
I generally carry and ignore it anyway in most places, except for places that I would have to go through a metal detector. I carried before I paid to much money for my CHL and I will carry in the same places after. I care less whether some mall or bass pro shops posts signs (or even university for that matter!!) I will carry anytime someone else can do the same and take my chances. Concealed is concealed, what they dont know wont hurt them and I will not think twice about letting them stay behind and get shot by the scumbag with an AK as I head to the nearest exit. If I have to confront the same guy, well, one of us will lose and I am not going to be someone to go down without a fight.

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

stevie_d_64 wrote: Nothing is going to change anytime soon in this particular fight, so I would probably reside myself to the fact that there are lots of other places to spend your hard earned money that with the Mills corporation properties, or any other establishments that do not respect you...Plain and simple...
The power of Amazon.com where you can shop at the comfort of your own home while having that .45 on your hip. :tiphat:

Calabash-kid

Post by Calabash-kid »

Tex said "I don't know where in the world you guys get this "Katy Mills Mall is posted" stuff. I have been in that mall hundreds of times and never seen any 30:06 signs."

Actually, the signs are posted on the side wall between the doors of every mall entrance. In my opinion not obvious nor posted so normal people would see them. The only way I saw them is I saw in this site that the mall was posted and went looking for the sign since I had never noticed them before.

Jerry.

MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

Well here's a pattern! I actually hadn't seen the sign either, and I carried at least twice in there before I visited this site and saw the topic a while back. :shock: I thought I was the only one that missed it and felt kind of a bad about it.......well, a little bad..............well, not really...... ;-)

Nice to know that I wasn't the only one that missed it off to the side. It might be a bit more visible if those entrances weren't 40' wide, but there's enough real-estate on the glass itselft where they could post it in a place where normal people would see it without having to go LOOK for it.

Since I found out they were posted, I don't go there anymore except for BPS. Most of the time we went there was for the movies, and now any movies the wife wants to see, I tell her to look at Cinemark's schedule only. The only other place that lost my business was the western store in there, but now we have one in Sealy so they would have lost my business eventually anyway.
Harry
NRA Endowment Life Member
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

This thread shows how screwed up the law can be. The law if often designed to mess with your head (hey it makes lawyers money). If you go through any of the main entrances directly into the mall you are in violation of the law, but if your concealing according to the law no harm is done. However if someone makes your weapon and tells you to leave you must do so in order to keep from breaking the 30.06 law. If you refuse you can and will be arrested. They do have signs up but they (as far as I'm concerned) do not comply with the law (visibility). But I talked to one Katy cop who thinks they are in compliance. But then a cop is not a judge and it would be the judge who would decide if you broke the law (still the cop can arrest you). If you enter any store without going into the mall and it is not posted not only can you enter that store you can also enter and roam the mall freely through that stores outlet into the mall. During this time if you exit a mall entrance say to have cigarette then go back into the mall you have broken the law by using the mall entrance which is posted. But once again you have to get caught and refuse to leave before you can be arrested. It's all so simple yet clear as mud. If you get into a shoot inside the mall be prepared to show the cops how you entered the mall through the none posted area. In other word have your car park near a non posted entrance.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

One eyed fatman,

I believe you have made one mistake in your logic. If you carry into the mall you can be arrested and convicted based on having seen the sign. No one has to first ask you to leave. In Katy Mills last time I was there, there was a police substation in the mall. A police officer could see you in the mall, and immediately arrest if he saw your gun.

Now there is an interesting question on if you enter through a store instead of the mall door. The first time you enter the mall, I think you might have a defense. But if you saw the sign and went around, or had seen the sign on a previous visit, you would have received all the notice that is required. You could then be arrested, even if you entered the mall through the Bass Pro Store.
Steve Rothstein

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I guess its up to us CHL'ers to look real good for the signs. I knew from these messages that Katy Mills Mall is posted so I did not wear my ccw, entered through Bed Bath and Beyond and did not see one sign anywhere within the mall. Only while leaving through a main entrance and looking at both walls did I see the signage. With mall shooting I want to carry while in there. :banghead:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Russell wrote:I wonder if you can receive "sufficient notice" by reading a thread about where the signs are? IE, they are on the main entrances, but not the individual store entrances.

Could a lawyer bring up this particular thread and say "Mr. Smith knew the signs were on the main entrances, he read it on TexasCHLForums.com. He purposely went into the Bed Bath and Beyond store to purposely "miss" the 30.06 signs." ? Or would it be considered hearsay and not admissible in court as evidence?
I would think there would have to be some written response in the forum by Mr. Smith that he had read the post too prove he knew about the posted business. if they are like me, I sometimes read things, but it doesn't sink in. Just being a member doesn't mean you read every post either. That is evident from the multiple times people ask the same questions that have been posted dozens of times! (I'm guilty of that as well :oops: )
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

I think a prosecutor could make a good case if he could prove that the post came from the actual individual. However, any good defense lawyer could point out that any decent hacker can impersonate someone on the Internet. Unless they had tracking info that proved it came from the individuals MAC address (which can be spoofed), subpoenaed the forum and the poster's ISP, and someone that actually SAW that individual writing that post and would testify to that fact, it could be refuted pretty easily.

I doubt a DA or prosecutor is going to go to that length to get the evidence on a Class A misdemeanor 30.06 charge unless they are on a witch hunt.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

I think anything you read here or on any forum would fall under the catagory of hearsay.

Just because someone posts that there is a sign or a policy doesn't mean it is correct. At best, it is 2nd hand info, and sometimes 3rd hand.

We've all seen the gun show posts where someone enthusiastically "informs" us that a certain show is gun friendly because their "no guns" sign includes an exception for CHL's. Then later on we read that what the sign really says is "NO Exception for CHL's". (OOOOOPS!!!)

No matter what I might read, when I walk into a place I go by what I see with my own eyes and what people (store or mall employees) might tell me straight to my face.

Anything else must be regarded as for entertainment purposes only.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

I didn't see nothin' about no 30.06 sign on no internet!

You have to recieve notice, not your friend, uncle or second cousin twice removed's brother-in-law. If they have a sign, but it's posted way off to the side and you don't see it, did you recieve notice? I don't think so.
Last edited by bdickens on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Byron Dickens

chewy555

Post by chewy555 »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:I think anything you read here or on any forum would fall under the catagory of hearsay.

Just because someone posts that there is a sign or a policy doesn't mean it is correct. At best, it is 2nd hand info, and sometimes 3rd hand.

We've all seen the gun show posts where someone enthusiastically "informs" us that a certain show is gun friendly because their "no guns" sign includes an exception for CHL's. Then later on we read that what the sign really says is "NO Exception for CHL's". (OOOOOPS!!!)

No matter what I might read, when I walk into a place I go by what I see with my own eyes and what people (store or mall employees) might tell me straight to my face.

Anything else must be regarded as for entertainment purposes only.
:iagree:
H&K USP 45
Taurus Tracker .357
Taurus 1911

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”