deleted

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Briankey
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Bad advice or Not

Post by Briankey »

To me that doesnt make sense, if someone leaves the scene of an accident, thats Hit and run regardless of where its located, so the Good Folks loose with this Transportation Code.

That's because it's private property and therefore does not fall under the laws of the TX transportation Code. An officer is not required to investigate unless the damage is estimated at over $1000. It used to be $500 but recently went up![/quote]

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

Briankey wrote:To me that doesnt make sense, if someone leaves the scene of an accident, thats Hit and run regardless of where its located, so the Good Folks loose with this Transportation Code.
Most of the Transportation Code only applies on public roads. It was done that way on purpose. it allows the most freedom for us by almost eliminating control over how we use cars on private property. This lets us do things like have races and such.

And, just for technical accuracy, the section on leaving your name does apply on private property. Chapter 550 covers your duties in accidents, and 550.001 specifically states it applies in private parking lots other than residential property or those that charge a fee for parking. So, if they hit your car in an apartment parking lot or house driveway, they do not need to leave a name, but if they hit your car in the grocery store parking lot then they do need to leave a name.

If you want the weird part of the law, they have to leave their name and report the accident if it damages a car or injures a person. But they do not have to if they hit the building that is across the parking lot from the street.
Steve Rothstein

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Crazy Drivers

Post by AJSully421 »

I once chased an obvious DWI through 5 or 6 towns in Tarrant County, the guy was doing 45-55 in a 60 and swerving all over the place including both shoulders, and after about the 5th town, it was a joke, i finally asked one dispatcher, "do you really care, or are you hoping he'll go into the next city and be someone else's problem?" nothing got done, and i was endangering my self for nothing, so i exited the freeway and said screw it.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Briankey
Banned

OK

Post by Briankey »

Well, Appreciate that information.

Briankey
Banned

Not suprising to me

Post by Briankey »

That's why I don't call 911 anymore, in reality, your driving down the road, you see Road Rage, or some other act, the dispatchers may contact a LEO unit, but since he or she may be miles away, or busy, they don't even bother to make an attempt, figuring by the time they responded, its all over with. So, for them, what's the point of even trying?.
I was out riding my bike in Houston today, I saw someone trying to run another motorist off the road, big time Road rage, if I'd dialed 911 nothing would have been done, in reality, what can they do?, nothing, probably because they didn't witness the violation. Oh sure, you could give the Dispatchers his License Plate number, they send a LEO Unit to his house, Question Him, he denies it every happened, no witness, The LEO has no evidence, end of Story, and the LEO's know this, so that's why I feel they won't do anything.

My Dad's been saying for years, You just don't get involved. And Now I understand why.

--------------------
AJSully421 wrote:I once chased an obvious DWI through 5 or 6 towns in Tarrant County, the guy was doing 45-55 in a 60 and swerving all over the place including both shoulders, and after about the 5th town, it was a joke, i finally asked one dispatcher, "do you really care, or are you hoping he'll go into the next city and be s omeone else's problem?" nothing got done, and i was endangering my self for nothing, so i exited the freeway and said screw it.

eric
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Crazy Drivers

Post by eric »

Truck pulling trailer with aerial lift equipment makes left turn abruptly with no brake light or signal one block from downtown in a small town, i was following and had to move approx. 1/2 lane to the right, at the same time looked in right mirror and this probably stolen black sedan running approx. 70mph coming fast, expected to get hit but just heard the tires squeal from losing control. Red light 400 ft. ahead, that person managed to stop some how. I pulled up next the car with huge fellow driving and he would not look at me, light changed in 3 secs. and he was passing cars in no passing area like something I have never seen. Got partial lic # but he was gone. that is deadly assault , should have stayed back but there are a few things that will make your blood pump. Like this one. Just can never tell what will happen next, always prepared hopefully.

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KD5NRH »

gregthehand wrote:
Briankey wrote:That's because it's private property and therefore does not fall under the laws of the TX transportation Code. An officer is not required to investigate unless the damage is estimated at over $1000. It used to be $500 but recently went up!
Gotten any repairs lately? If you notice the damage, it will probably cost more than $1,000 unless you get your parts from the junkyard.

We're waiting for the neighbors with their idiot dogs to either move or give up on replenishing their dog supply before we get the $1,300 repair job done again, and there's not a single bit of metal damaged, just plastic.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”