Off Shore Carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tarkus
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Off Shore Carry?

Post by tarkus »

57Coastie wrote:Let me demonstrate how these bits of advice might come into play. First, I would invite you to again call the same CG "Operations Officer" (I am assuming this individual is not a qualified CG lawyer), and ask him this question:

"If I have a CHL can I go aboard someone else's boat armed even though he says I cannot carry a concealed (or otherwise) weapon?"
With all respect, why are you making up stuff that wasn't in the original question?

There was nothing about "he says I cannot carry" or felons in possession of firearms.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

Briankey
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Briankey »

The Original question was not whether a person could carry on someones else's boat, but Can I carry offshore.
I did contact the Same Coast Guard Operations Officer, he said as long as you have a CHL, your authorized to carry offshore.
I didn't ask him about someones elses boat.
But anyone can call the Coast Guard like I did and ask your own questions.
The Guys probably not a Lawyer, but hey, maybe there shouldn't be anyone responding to questions on this board unless your a Lawyer.
Just a thought.

------------------
[quote="57Coastie"]Let me demonstrate how these bits of advice might come into play. First, I would invite you to again call the same CG "Operations Officer" (I am assuming this individual is not a qualified CG lawyer), and ask him this question:

Topic author
AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

For the record, I was asking about carrying on a boat that is owned by my dad, and he also has a CHL, so he won't tell me not to carry. I was simply asking about the law, i guess my question really is where do i leave "Texas water" and enter "Federal water" or international water... and is it legal to carry 10,15,20 miles out?
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

We've carried many times on a boat in the lake. We actually always have a .410 "snake charmer" in the boat. We've caught more than one water moccasin on Hubbard Creek Lake before. But that's a shotgun, not a handgun, and not CHL related. If I remember correctly, out to a certain distance, it's still considered Texas waters, correct? In that case, would it be the same as carrying on a lake? I would assume that with a CHL, you'd be fine. And I'd also assume that you could have a long gun on the boat as well. It's definitely a good question, and an interesting one. Now I'm curious too. I'll look some stuff up also and see what I can find out.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

iflyabeech
Posts in topic: 3

Post by iflyabeech »

why couldn't you carry in a boat in any water? especially offshore!>?

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

iflyabeech wrote:why couldn't you carry in a boat in any water?
Corps of Engineer lakes are off-limits.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

iflyabeech

Post by iflyabeech »

gmckinl wrote:
iflyabeech wrote:why couldn't you carry in a boat in any water?
Corps of Engineer lakes are off-limits.

when I say water, I mean saltwater, and thats what this thread was about...... fresh water lakes are a different animal, but I agree the Army corps of engineers lake ban is totally communistic.
Last edited by iflyabeech on Thu May 22, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

for the record, when Texas became a State the coastal waters were retained for a distance of three marine leagues (6000 varas times three), or some 9.46 miles. I think we are the only state that claims such extensive amount of water.
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mr surveyor wrote:for the record, when Texas became a State the coastal waters were retained for a distance of three marine leagues (6000 varas times three), or some 9.46 miles. I think we are the only state that claims such extensive amount of water.
So how does that affect an all day deep sea boat? Assuming that the captain doesn't care one way or the other, would I be in violation of any federal laws?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Good questions - I have a decently large boat (37' flybridge sedan) on inland waters. As a boat owner, a boat is a different animal, especially cruiser-type boats (sleeping accomodations, etc.) - when you are the captain/skipper of the boat, what you say goes (as far as the crew/passengers are concerned, no it's not an ego trip, it's the truth, you are in control of the boat and in charge of getting it and everyone on board back to the dock safely). Sure, there are laws - but I can tell you this, if I was in salt/bluewater I for sure would have weaponry on board.

With this being a public board I won't comment on my status of weaponry on said boat or location, however, I will relay an experience: had some friends on the boat, one from Cajun country, and several others (the majority of whom probably were packing heat, well, except for 1 for sure). My Cajun buddy asked for a safe (as in below decks) place to put his PPK when he went swimming...well, I found out one of my buddy's was VERY anti-gun, he turned white as a sheet...he overheard the conversation...my response - "my boat, my rules, I'd tell you that there are several other folks packing but I don't want you to wet yourself." Within seconds several folks (that he's hung around many times before) chimed in with "don't ask me."

Annoyed - in regards to your soon to be situation and the boat's captain - concealed is concealed. I'd recommend a good cleaning/oiling when you get home, salt/spray seems to get EVERYWHERE.

The Annoyed Man

Thanks for answer, Pucker, and I'm with you in spirit, but I' still wondering if there are any real legal issues where state waters leave off, and federal waters begin; and where federal waters leave off, and international waters begin.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

iflyabeech

Post by iflyabeech »

Awesome...we always carry plenty of firepower offshore. MY friends in south Florida carry multiple AR's.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Thanks for answer, Pucker, and I'm with you in spirit, but I' still wondering if there are any real legal issues where state waters leave off, and federal waters begin; and where federal waters leave off, and international waters begin.
As lose state and then federal jurisdiction, there are fewer restrictions on you. You are always in Federal waters when you are in State waters. When you move out of State waters Texas loses their authority over you. The Feds don't gain more Authority just because you float into their waters.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man

Liberty wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Thanks for answer, Pucker, and I'm with you in spirit, but I' still wondering if there are any real legal issues where state waters leave off, and federal waters begin; and where federal waters leave off, and international waters begin.
As lose state and then federal jurisdiction, there are fewer restrictions on you. You are always in Federal waters when you are in State waters. When you move out of State waters Texas loses their authority over you. The Feds don't gain more Authority just because you float into their waters.
That is the answer I was looking for. Thank you very much.

#TINVOWOOT

melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

If it is your boat does the motorist protection act or castle doctrine apply?

If its a motor boat is it a motor vehicle? does it just count as the persons own premises? Perhaps bring a cot on board to make it a habitat?

Code: Select all

(1)  on the person's own premises or premises under the 
 	person's control; or
 	             (2)  inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle 
 	that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”