Motorcycle carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Target1911
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Motorcycle carry

Post by Target1911 »

I have never had wal-mart or any other store check my personal bag. I dont think I would let them even if they asked.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

SlowDave wrote:One question on this front: when you go into a Wal-mart or similar and they check your bag, has anyone experienced the reaction if they look in your backpack and find a (legal) gun?
ask them why they are not checking all the ladiues purses that are in effect the same thing. Then ask them how good their lawyers are.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

WarHawk-AVG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

SlowDave wrote:I posted somewhere else asking about this. I carry in the hard saddlebag of my FJR1300, like someone else said, not wanting to have to land on the gun in case I have to perform a high-speed dismount. I do some roadracing (ZX-6R endurance, also "mini" NSR50) and also agree that you should also be at least as proficient on the bike as with your gun. I'm pretty sure that statistically, you're more likely to die on the bike than through an attack of the Bad Guy.

I also try to quietly pull the gun from the saddlebag into my helmet or backpack or other when I'm leaving the bike. Today, going into Academy of all places, there was a guy staring at me from the front of the store, which made me somewhat uncomfortable, but oh well. I put my body between him and the bike and put my backpack down into the saddlebag and slid the gun over into it. I carry a S&W Sigma, and it barely fits into the helmet with gloves to prevent it from being observed through the faceshield.

One question on this front: when you go into a Wal-mart or similar and they check your bag, has anyone experienced the reaction if they look in your backpack and find a (legal) gun?
If you are involved in a high speed dismount landing on your firearm is the LAST thing going thru your mind, how much junk do you carry in your pockets, like cell phone, keys, cig lighters, you will land on them just like you will land on your firearm.
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

SlowDave

Post by SlowDave »

WarHawk-AVG wrote: If you are involved in a high speed dismount landing on your firearm is the LAST thing going thru your mind, how much junk do you carry in your pockets, like cell phone, keys, cig lighters, you will land on them just like you will land on your firearm.
I respectfully disagree. My cell phone also goes in the saddlebag for the same reason, I don't carry a lighter, so I'm down to keys, which are riding on the front of my hip, which is a hard place to fall on. Landing with my Sigma in the chest band (i.e. on my side halfway between armpit and waist) looks like a high likelihood of a broken rib to me. Other stuff in my pockets (wallet, coins, chap stik) is not likely to be large enough and in an area such that it is likely to cause significant damage.

Unfortunately, between 25 years of street riding and about 8 years of roadracing, I'm getting way too experienced in the high speed dismount. :banghead:

SlowDave

Post by SlowDave »

Wildscar wrote:
SlowDave wrote:One question on this front: when you go into a Wal-mart or similar and they check your bag, has anyone experienced the reaction if they look in your backpack and find a (legal) gun?
ask them why they are not checking all the ladiues purses that are in effect the same thing. Then ask them how good their lawyers are.
As far as I know, they check everyone equally (i.e. semi-random spot check) including women's purses. I think they probably have the "right" to check my bag, just as much as I have the right to refuse and not enter the store. What I want to know is, what happens if they find a legal gun? They do not have the right to request my CHL, so what would they do? They could a) inform me verbally that I could not carry, which would be legally binding, or b) smile and wish me happy shopping. Just wondering if anyone knows which route is their standard policy.

And for what it's worth, I've been in several times with my gun in some kind of bag and never been checked so far. I don't think they're out to get me, and don't have a bone to pick, just wondering.

flb_78
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flb_78 »

They don't have a "right" to check your bag.

They have a right to ask to check your bag, but unless they have surveillance of you stealing something, they have absolutely no right to go through your personal belongings as you walk out.

They do have a right to refuse entrance to you if you are carrying a bag, but no right to search it.

I would absolutely refuse to be searched and keep walking.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

I went to a steel plate match in Dallas one sunday. On my way home from the match I decided to stop at Bass Pro in Grapevine. I was on my Harley and my range bag straped to sissy bar. I was NOT going to leave it on my bike so I unstraped it and put it in a buggy. As I was walking in the door one of the door greeters asked if I was headed to the range. I just looked at him and said "not today" and just kept on walking. He kind of had this dumb look on his face...kind of a cross between, why are you bringing in a range bag and not going to the range....and looked like he wanted to ask what was inside. I didnt miss a beat as walked passed him and went about my business.
Now mind you, my range bag is obviously used. I have patches sewn on and several hat pins on it. He knew I wasnt there to return the bag. Nothing else was ever said to me about it.
If I had been asked if I would let them search it, I would have politely declined.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

SlowDave wrote:
Wildscar wrote:
As far as I know, they check everyone equally (i.e. semi-random spot check) including women's purses. I think they probably have the "right" to check my bag, just as much as I have the right to refuse and not enter the store. What I want to know is, what happens if they find a legal gun? They do not have the right to request my CHL, so what would they do? They could a) inform me verbally that I could not carry, which would be legally binding, or b) smile and wish me happy shopping. Just wondering if anyone knows which route is their standard policy.

And for what it's worth, I've been in several times with my gun in some kind of bag and never been checked so far. I don't think they're out to get me, and don't have a bone to pick, just wondering.
Either one it possiable. Would depend on the person working the door at the time.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

my s is slow
Posts in topic: 1

Post by my s is slow »

Target1911 wrote:I have never had wal-mart or any other store check my personal bag. I dont think I would let them even if they asked.
+1

1TallTXn
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 1TallTXn »

I Highly recommend getting some kind of a motorcycle jacket. Not only does it not ride up while riding to reveal whatever you might be concealing, but it also prevents road rash in the event of a unexpected dismount.

I carry IWB at 3-4 o'clock.

For me transfering from the tank bag to my person was a pain. and I'm not leaving the firearm behind.

Just for reference, I ride a 2002 Honda VFR800 and carry either a PT111MP or a XD9 service.
Jacket is a TourMaster Intake or a Belstaff
Pants are Olympia Motosports UltraTours.

There's a good bit of discussion of this topic on Two Wheeled Texans, a great site for all things moto-related in Texas.
Taurus PT-111MP
Springfield XD-9 Service

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”