Big Town Gun Show.....no CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jnkirk1974
Posts in topic: 1

Big Town Gun Show.....no CHL?

Post by jnkirk1974 »

Ok, I'm not a big gun show guy. However, my son and I went to the Big Town Gun Show today to look for an H&K SL8-6 that
I've wanted for a while.

So, I get to the front door and it says "No Loaded Guns.....this includes CHL".

Have I missed something? I don't remember them discussing this in my class two years ago.

What's the point in banning the CHL holders from carrying. To me, it almost sounds like going to a smoker's convention, but being
told that you can't bring cigarettes.

Anyone know the story behind this?

I don't really plan on going back, as I felt the Big Town Gun Show was sub-par in quality. I'm most likely going to stick with the Market Center
gun shows instead.

With that said.....I did not see a legal sign posted.
Rock River Arms AR-15, HK P2000sk, Glock 23,Beretta 92FS and Seacamp .32

Greybeard

Re: Big Town Gun Show.....no CHL?

Post by Greybeard »

Lotsa (controversial) threads on such here. Bottom line: virtually all of the major shows in DFW (and often other major cities) prohibit "loaded" guns (except LEOs). Primary reason is insurance requirements - and to keep Bubba from whupping out his loaded piece - for whatever reason. Those of us (yes, license holders) who've been around a ND in the misdt of 5,000 people don't necessarily like it, but see the need for ...
Last edited by Greybeard on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

jnkirk1974 wrote:Ok, I'm not a big gun show guy. However, my son and I went to the Big Town Gun Show today to look for an H&K SL8-6 that
I've wanted for a while.

So, I get to the front door and it says "No Loaded Guns.....this includes CHL".

Have I missed something? I don't remember them discussing this in my class two years ago.

What's the point in banning the CHL holders from carrying. To me, it almost sounds like going to a smoker's convention, but being
told that you can't bring cigarettes.

Anyone know the story behind this?

I don't really plan on going back, as I felt the Big Town Gun Show was sub-par in quality. I'm most likely going to stick with the Market Center
gun shows instead.

With that said.....I did not see a legal sign posted.
There was a 30.06 sign posted just inside the entrance on the wall to the left. I noticed it after I bought my ticket to get in the show.

flb_78
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flb_78 »

I believe the general consensus is that they don't want anyone drawing a loaded handgun to test fit a holster, magazine, laser sight, etc. etc. etc...

If you plan on trying to find an accessory for your carry gun, then bring it in unloaded. :thumbs2:
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SCone
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SCone »

Everyone I know drops the clip and goes about thier business.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

SCone wrote:Everyone I know drops the clip and goes about thier business.
So, everyone you know drops the magazine and walks around with a round chambered without having the firearm tied?

Sorry, but dropping the 'clip' wouldn't satisfy anyone. Either keep your carry loaded and concealed no matter what or have the firearm emptied, cleared, and tied at the door!
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Mike1951 wrote:
SCone wrote:Everyone I know drops the clip and goes about thier business.
So, everyone you know drops the magazine and walks around with a round chambered without having the firearm tied?

Sorry, but dropping the 'clip' wouldn't satisfy anyone. Either keep your carry loaded and concealed no matter what or have the firearm emptied, cleared, and tied at the door!
:iagree: :thumbs2:
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SCone

Post by SCone »

Yes Mike, they take their clip out, remove all rounds, & have the gun tied at the door.

Now they are meeting all legal responsibility to enter the show.

Walking in with a concealed weapon is a Class A misdemeanor.

The show has numerous Mesquite. Dallas, Sheriff & security people all over the show.

Safety should not any issue for attendees.

SCone

Post by SCone »

jnkirk1974 wrote:I don't really plan on going back, as I felt the Big Town Gun Show was sub-par in quality. I'm most likely going to stick with the Market Center gun shows instead.
I've found great deals and found nothing at both shows.

Did you locate the HK you were after?

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

SCone wrote:Yes Mike, they take their clip out, remove all rounds, & have the gun tied at the door.

Now they are meeting all legal responsibility to enter the show.

Walking in with a concealed weapon is a Class A misdemeanor.

The show has numerous Mesquite. Dallas, Sheriff & security people all over the show.

Safety should not any issue for attendees.
Two points:

If the facility is government owned, the 30.06 signs are unenforceable, so I meet all legal responsibility by keeping my carry loaded and concealed.

Second, having the gun unloaded at the entrance does not affect the legality of carrying inside the show.

If the law were enforced zero tolerance, everyone inside with a handgun could be arrested, except for CHL'ers, and then only if their handguns were concealed as specified by law.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

crochetetc

Post by crochetetc »

I was really disappointed in the show. The discounts were not as good as the Market Hall show. We wont be going back.

And the air didnt seem to be on it was as hot inside as it was outside.

Kristie

Mr.Scott

Post by Mr.Scott »

crochetetc wrote:I was really disappointed in the show. The discounts were not as good as the Market Hall show. We wont be going back.

And the air didnt seem to be on it was as hot inside as it was outside.

Kristie
The air is never on. That building is older than dirt. I don't even think it has air conditioning.
I can not understand why so many people complain about a gun show posting a 30.06 sign. Why would they alienate a portion of their customer base without a reason???
They do it because some knuckle head at some point brought a loaded gun in and discharged it, now either insurance or the owner of the building wants the sign so hopefully it doesn't happen again.
I'll agree that this show wasn't very good, but if you stop going because one show wasn't good, then you'll miss out on the next good show. It's going to be hit or miss whether or not you find something worthwhile. If you go looking for that super rare 1 of a kind gun and don't find it does that mean it was a bad show and you'll never go again?
I saw some good deals on guns. I saw lots of Rock Island 1911's and bought one too.
DIVIDED WE STAND, UNITED WE FALL

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Mr.Scott wrote:I can not understand why so many people complain about a gun show posting a 30.06 sign. Why would they alienate a portion of their customer base without a reason???
They do it because some knuckle head at some point brought a loaded gun in and discharged it, now either insurance or the owner of the building wants the sign so hopefully it doesn't happen again.
The vast majority of reported gun show NDs aren't by customers, they're by vendors.

The vendors either don't practice proper clearing procedure before and after a customer looks at a gun, or they succumb to the "I'm the only one professional enough to handle this..." mentality. *BLAM*

There was a report of an ND this past year that was entirely the customer's fault. I recall that everyone was shocked, because it was so atypical.

SCone

Post by SCone »

Show finds...

STG-58 - $1100 fantastic looking gun, all correct parts (not a parts gun), there was another FAL walking around with a nice set of wood furniture for $700
Winchester Model 94 - 1952 in PERFECT condition, looked brand new - never heard a price
HK pistols - too many to keep track of, good prices (my friend bought two of them)
Colt SAA - w/belt & holster from 1890s, definite wear but in fine shape - not for sale, just showing off Grandpa's daily carry
M1 Garands - $600-$1100 several were available, good price for a classic battle rifle
Colt Python - $1400 nickel presentation quality

Just a few of the guns I saw this last weekend. I have found that I never find what I'm looking for, but I always find something I want.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

KBCraig wrote:
Mr.Scott wrote:I can not understand why so many people complain about a gun show posting a 30.06 sign. Why would they alienate a portion of their customer base without a reason???
The vast majority of reported gun show NDs aren't by customers, they're by vendors.

The vendors either don't practice proper clearing procedure before and after a customer looks at a gun, or they succumb to the "I'm the only one professional enough to handle this..." mentality. *BLAM*

There was a report of an ND this past year that was entirely the customer's fault. I recall that everyone was shocked, because it was so atypical.
The vendors should be liable to the 30.06 signs, as well, then!
I understand the insurance issue, and try to go to as many gunshows as I can. I do, however, wish there was A LOT more of a police presence in the parking lots. I typically have to park a 1/4Mile away, and that hike just presents too much of an oppurtunity for some scumbag to do his worst.
course, I have my OC, but with wind...
and I've got my knife, but I ain't no FlintKnapper...
and legally speaking, you can't just "drop the clip" and unload. nor can you really re-arm afterwards.
course, there are ways to get around it, but....

still wish they would just have a "superman" telephone booth with one of those "safe direction" bullet-proof things (like at Bass Pro) where one could dis-arm, and then re-arm before leaving.
maybe I could make one, take it to the next show, charge folks a Dollar, and I'd be rich!!!!
lord, betcha I'd have a line.....
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”