CHL class shooting experience

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
fredtubbs
Posts in topic: 1

CHL class shooting experience

Post by fredtubbs »

I posted this as a reply in another post, but wanted to post it more broadly to get feedback.
-------------
I took my CHL class yesterday. I was prepared to shoot from 3, 7, & 15 yards... but that didn't happen. We did 5, 9, and something that was close to 15 yards I'm sure... but I didn't notice what it was marked. Those were the yardage points that the range had labeled. Is the difference in yardage up to the discretion of the instructor?

Also, we did 16 rounds at 5 yards, 24 at 9 yards, and 10 at 15+ yards. Also not what I was expecting.

Finally, the shooting approach required by the instructor, while I think was useful, also caught me off guard. It was lock and load, push straight out with your arms, fire, scan left then right with your weapon, pull straight back, turn and look over both shoulders. We did that every time. Again, while useful technique, I was prepared for something different.

Anybody have comments on this? Love to hear it.

Thanks!
Some call me Fred, some don't.

NRA Member
CHL
Bitter clinger

KaiserB
Banned

Re: CHL class shooting experience

Post by KaiserB »

fredtubbs wrote:I posted this as a reply in another post, but wanted to post it more broadly to get feedback.
Finally, the shooting approach required by the instructor, while I think was useful, also caught me off guard. It was lock and load, push straight out with your arms, fire, scan left then right with your weapon, pull straight back, turn and look over both shoulders. We did that every time. Again, while useful technique, I was prepared for something different.

Anybody have comments on this? Love to hear it.
That defiantly sounds different that what I experienced which was more the NRA style of: load 5 (or 10 depending on string), ready on left, ready on right ... commence firing... cease firing, open actions. Repeat at the various yardages.

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

fredtubbs wrote:It was lock and load, push straight out with your arms, fire, scan left then right with your weapon, pull straight back, turn and look over both shoulders. We did that every time. Again, while useful technique, I was prepared for something different.Thanks!
In my limited exprience, this is typical of tactical shooting courses, but not something I would use on a range with people of unknown shooting/firearm handling skills. Doing a 360 degree scan before reholstering is wise, but could be dangerous if people do not know about indexing their trigger finger and keeping the firearm in the Sul position (otherwise they just might shoot the person next to them).

Jesse1911

Post by Jesse1911 »

it sounds to me like every instructor has their own way of qualifiying people in the range portion of the course. It's more of a safety course...if they see that everybody's handling and operationg their gun in a safe manner, the rest is not as important. Even if they do it by the book, you can never train for a real scenerio, different people will act different, and some will not even react. I know for a fact because we would train (Navy) with big caliber weapons (.50 cal & 25mm) and I would ask some people (including females) if they could do everything we were teaching them, and their response..."no, I don't think I would remember all of this, I would probably start crying or run and hide" :eek6 . Our instructor asked us to go and practice every chance we had. Just my .02
***Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace no safety.***

bryang
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bryang »

fredtubbs wrote:I posted this as a reply in another post, but wanted to post it more broadly to get feedback.
-------------
That was certainly different from my experience at my CHL class. There are a lot of CHL instructors here on this forum and I'm sure they will give you a better answer.

This sounds like the way Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch teaches handgun defense. I have some DVD's of his teaching and that is what he teaches you to do after you fire to scan the area on you left and right to see if there is anyone else in the attack coming at you.

I don't know why he changed the distance...we fired at 3-7-15.
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

bryang wrote:That was certainly different from my experience at my CHL class. There are a lot of CHL instructors here on this forum and I'm sure they will give you a better answer.

This sounds like the way Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch teaches handgun defense. I have some DVD's of his teaching and that is what he teaches you to do after you fire to scan the area on you left and right to see if there is anyone else in the attack coming at you.
This type of stuff is usually taught at an advanced class, not for CHL qualification.
NRA Endowment Member

bryang

Post by bryang »

WildBill wrote:
bryang wrote:
This type of stuff is usually taught at an advanced class, not for CHL qualification.
Yes, I forgot to add that this teaching was advanced handgun defense and not for CHL license.

Thanks, WildBill

geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Rayden

Post by Rayden »

Not for CHL. We did that for tactical courses.

Smokewagon

Post by Smokewagon »

I thought the qualification range had to be approved by DPS. If so, I would think those yardage markers wouldn't qualify. And to go further, would the range qualification shoot be valid? :confused5
Texas friendly, spoken here.

barres

Post by barres »

Smokewagon wrote:I thought the qualification range had to be approved by DPS. If so, I would think those yardage markers wouldn't qualify. And to go further, would the range qualification shoot be valid? :confused5
I was thinking the same thing. Texas Administrative Code, Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 6, Subchapter B, RULE §6.14 plainly states:
(d) The proficiency demonstration course will be the same for both the instructors and license applications. The course of fire will be at distances of three, seven, and fifteen yards, for a total of fifty rounds.

(1) Twenty rounds will be fired from three yards, as follows:

(A) five rounds will be fired "One Shot Exercise"; two seconds allowed for each shot;

(B) ten rounds will be fired "Two Shot Exercise"; three seconds allowed for each two shots; and

(C) five rounds will be fired; ten seconds allowed for five shots.

(2) Twenty rounds will be fired from seven yards, fired in four five-shot strings as follows:

(A) the first five shots will be fired in ten seconds;

(B) the next five shots will be fired in two stages:

(i) two shots will be fired in four seconds; and

(ii) three shots will be fired in six seconds.

(C) the next five shots at seven yards will be fired "One Shot Exercise"; three seconds will be allowed for each shot; and

(D) the last five shots fired at the seven-yard line, the time will be fifteen seconds to shoot five rounds.

(3) Ten rounds will be fired from fifteen yards, fired in two five-shot strings as follows:

(A) the first five shots will be fired in two stages:

(i) two shots fired in six seconds; and

(ii) three shots fired in nine seconds.

(B) the last five shots will be fired in fifteen seconds.
That's 20 rounds from 3 yards out, 20 rounds from 7 yards out, and 10 rounds from 15 yards out. Not 16 rounds from 5 yards out, 24 rounds from 9 yards out, and 10 rounds from 15+ yards out. Granted, the distances fired from were all longer and not shorter, which would make it more difficult to shoot a passing score, not easier, but the rules are what they are.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

fredtubbs wrote:I posted this as a reply in another post, but wanted to post it more broadly to get feedback. Thanks!
I would suggest that you give your instructor some feedback.
NRA Endowment Member

ctxpta

Post by ctxpta »

As a CHL Instructor I will tell you that you had a class that was NOT approved and can have your license denied or revoked (at a later time) due to the Instructor teaching something other than the APPROVED course of fire. Please let everyone know who was teaching an ILLEGAL class so others do not risk what you may risk. I also suggest you contact DPS about the course so they can take care of the instructor. You have a greater chance of them allowing the course of fire if you contact them. If you are in the Austin area I would certify you on the correct course of fire. THESE INSTRUCTORS that do NOT follow the LAW need to be PUT OUT OF BUSINESS!!!
Matt Billingsley
Lone Star Gun Range
3795 Dry Creek Road
Lockhart, Texas 78644
http://www.ctxpta.com
512-801-2624

bigolbigun

Post by bigolbigun »

When a friend of mine took his class years ago for his first CHL they never even went to the range to qualify. He had 6 others in his class who did not own guns,but paid the instructor a $20 fee to rent guns to qualify with.

As the day was ending the instructor was giving directions to the shooting range which was about 20 miles away. Someone asked for a map and the instructor began to search in a storage closet for one. Then he pulled out some previously used targets that an earlier class had qualified with. He told the class if they all agreed to just "use these targets that have already been scored" they could skip the drive to the range and be finished with class.

My friend told them that he did not want any part of such a stunt. He took his packet and left and was able to qualify with another instructor who agreed to help him after being told of his situation. My friend reported the first instructor to DPS and was told by them that they would take care of it.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”