Online Application Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RedRaider29
Posts in topic: 1

Online Application Question

Post by RedRaider29 »

I previously posted this on the CHL checklist and didn't get hardly any responses so I figured this is the proper place for it:

I'm getting paranoid already and I'm not that far into the process. I went online on the dps website and filled out my online application and paid the fee before taking the class. I will be taking the class August 9th and am waiting for DPS to send me my packet. On the online website for address and employment history I listed my current employer and current address. The online form for DPS does not allow you to leave the "to" date field blank so I put 7/2008 for both the employer and address. I know I won't be sending the completed packet in until at least August 11th. Therefore, I'll have a gap in my employment and address history. What should I do?

Should I correct this on the printed packet that DPS sends me and notify them that the address and employer are still current and present regardless of what their stupid form made me submit? There was no place on the online form to check current, present, or leave the ending date blank.

Also was I supposed to get my pin after I paid the fee and submitted my online form? If so, I must have missed that information. The only information I received was the trace number for my payment.

Thanks in advance!
8/13/2008- Packet Received at DPS
8/20/2008- Status Changed to Processing Application
10/21/2008- Application Complete License Active (68 Days)
10/23/2008- Plastic in Hand!

LabRat

Re: Online Application Question

Post by LabRat »

I too, used the on-line application and noted the same issue as you did.

I got my application in the mail (with the PIN) and didn't change anything. Went thru no problem. Now have plastic in-hand.

Don't sweat it. I think DPS is aware of this aspect of the application process. Even if you filled out the paper application and put
a date on that paper, it would be a different day by the time they get the paperwork for entry.

HTH
LabRat

BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

I wouldn't worry about it. Austin will mail you a packet with your information pre-printed on the forms. You have the opportunity to review and correct any of the information before you send it back with the additional documents from your CHL class. You can update the dates, if you like, before you send it in.

sylus27

Post by sylus27 »

Instead of a date in the to field I would use "present," that's what I used and I didn't have any hang-ups. Unfortunately they aren't going to be looking at your application for a little while and might wonder where you've been since July.

*edit* just noticed you did it online. If allowed you might just hand print "present" when you get the hard copy. I would also ask your CHL instructor for his input.
April 2008 - Packet received by DPS
August 2008 - Plastic in hand!
April 2013 - Renewal packet submitted

Xander

Post by Xander »

LabRat wrote:I too, used the on-line application and noted the same issue as you did.

I got my application in the mail (with the PIN) and didn't change anything. Went thru no problem. Now have plastic in-hand.

Don't sweat it. I think DPS is aware of this aspect of the application process. Even if you filled out the paper application and put
a date on that paper, it would be a different day by the time they get the paperwork for entry.

HTH
LabRat
:iagree: Same experience here.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”