No CHL and traffic stop while carrying in vehicle.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

lunchbox
Posts in topic: 23

Re: No CHL and traffic stop while carrying in vehicle.

Post by lunchbox »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Elvis wrote:Are you guys dense? What is the problem with letting an Officer know you are in possesion of a deadly weapon? I am attempting to give you some hard earned advise here to keep you out of a potential deadly encounter and all you can do is puff your chest and treat me like the enemy. If you don't want any opinions from a LEO then best of luck to you and your ignorance.
Just so you know we aren't all marching to the same drummer, I have no problem what so ever with showing my CHL to an officer during a traffic stop. I want to be sure that the officer knows I am one of the good guys with a gun...not a homeboy with a desire to act out the latest rap song. If it makes an officer feel less threatened for me to show my CHL...what the heck...not a big deal to me.

i would hope thats the case. that they would see that your the good guy
however i dont see it that way you bring up the G word (i dont mean glock ether) and then they get tense and apprehensive. thats why so many members here have talked about being disarmed without cause
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

boomerang
Posts in topic: 6

Post by boomerang »

Elvis wrote:all you can do is puff your chest and treat me like the enemy.
I think they call that projection.

Quoting from the previous page
Elvis wrote:
boomerang wrote:Having a gun in the car is legal for people who aren't criminals.
"Man with a gun" shouldn't be suprised if they find themselves staring down the barrel of my gun if I detect the presence of your gun and you didn't think it was important to let me know you were carrying, legal or not. It is a self correcting problem.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Elvis
Posts in topic: 20

Post by Elvis »

lunchbox wrote:
Elvis wrote:Are you guys dense? What is the problem with letting an Officer know you are in possesion of a deadly weapon? I am attempting to give you some hard earned advise here to keep you out of a potential deadly encounter and all you can do is puff your chest and treat me like the enemy. If you don't want any opinions from a LEO then best of luck to you and your ignorance.

look the problem is we as CHL must show you that we have a gun then that puts the LEO on edge otherwise he could have gone through the whole thing never needing that info any LEO should be alert and prepared regardless. then in the next stop the guy that just keeps a glock in his car doesnt have to say anything wile that guy is many more times likely to use said weapon against the LEO is required to say nothing. we should not be required to say so when one can legally carry in the car with no CHL. in the car we realy are not carrying under the provisions of the CHL
this should if anything pertain more so to the encounters in public domain
Ok that is something i can get my brain around. As I stated it isn't FAIR and I understand how the process got to where it is but for now the law states you must notify the Officer and I really don't care one way or another. I think it is common sense and to let the officer know the status of an item that has the potential to harm you, him and others. Generally all the LEO's I work with are not ever "on edge" when you tell them you have a firearm. They are only "on edge" when the firearm is discovered and they were not aware it was there. Your statement that in the car you really are not carrying under the provisions or authority of the CHL is not the case. Because you have a CHL you are carrying under the CHL authority anytime the handgun is on or about your person and you are in public. Hey guys sorry if i am coming accross too strong here but I was a "gun guy" and a "Texan" long before I became a Cop. As LEOs, we sign on to do the dirty work of society. What the others either won't or can't do. We do it happily. Every day. Going into places no one else will. We see all of it, The dying, the dead, the beaten, the raped, the children, we try to be there before the crime if we're lucky, during crimes if just as lucky, after the crime because thats when we're called to clean up the mess. We try to make roads safer and save lives, maybe yours, but all we get is cursed at because we wrote you that ticket. Then we get to go home to our families and act like nothing happened. Every day.

lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

Elvis wrote:
lunchbox wrote:

look the problem is we as CHL must show you that we have a gun then that puts the LEO on edge otherwise he could have gone through the whole thing never needing that info any LEO should be alert and prepared regardless. then in the next stop the guy that just keeps a glock in his car doesnt have to say anything wile that guy is many more times likely to use said weapon against the LEO is required to say nothing. we should not be required to say so when one can legally carry in the car with no CHL. in the car we realy are not carrying under the provisions of the CHL
this should if anything pertain more so to the encounters in public domain
Ok that is something i can get my brain around. As I stated it isn't FAIR and I understand how the process got to where it is but for now the law states you must notify the Officer and I really don't care one way or another. I think it is common sense and to let the officer know the status of an item that has the potential to harm you, him and others. Generally all the LEO's I work with are not ever "on edge" when you tell them you have a firearm. They are only "on edge" when the firearm is discovered and they were not aware it was there. Your statement that in the car you really are not carrying under the provisions or authority of the CHL is not the case. Because you have a CHL you are carrying under the CHL authority anytime the handgun is on or about your person and you are in public. Hey guys sorry if i am coming accross too strong here but I was a "gun guy" and a "Texan" long before I became a Cop. As LEOs, we sign on to do the dirty work of society. What the others either won't or can't do. We do it happily. Every day. Going into places no one else will. We see all of it, The dying, the dead, the beaten, the raped, the children, we try to be there before the crime if we're lucky, during crimes if just as lucky, after the crime because thats when we're called to clean up the mess. We try to make roads safer and save lives, maybe yours, but all we get is cursed at because we wrote you that ticket. Then we get to go home to our families and act like nothing happened. Every day.

sounds like life to me
maybe we dont see death every day but life sucks and then you die man
we all deal with crap in our jobs
you knew going in what was out there for you
yea i dont think you should get cussed out cuz you gave someone a ticket but i also dont think you should be out there to fill quotas and pay the high salaries of gov officials and catch more criminals

thats a rabbit im chasing sorry mods
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

Elvis

Post by Elvis »

sounds like life to me
yea i dont think you should get cussed out cuz you gave someone a ticket but i also dont think you should be out there to fill quotas and pay the high salaries of gov officials and catch more criminals

I don't have quotas, I get to write as many tickets as I want.
Lunchbox, please tell me how I should be doing my job? Do you want LEO's to be pro-active or would you prefer we just come by when called to take the report and clean up the mess then go away.

lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

Elvis wrote:sounds like life to me

I don't have quotas, I get to write as many tickets as I want.
Lunchbox, please tell me how I should be doing my job? Do you want LEO's to be pro-active or would you prefer we just come by when called to take the report and clean up the mess then go away.

as a citizen am i not entitled to my opinion on how public service is done not that it will make any difference
but still MHO
i think pulling the guy over doing 55 in th 50 right after there was a speed change from 70 is just childish.
i think that time could be better spent putting people in jail like say murders and rapist
but im just :banghead:

boomerang
Posts in topic: 6

Post by boomerang »

Elvis wrote:Your statement that in the car you really are not carrying under the provisions or authority of the CHL is not the case. Because you have a CHL you are carrying under the CHL authority anytime the handgun is on or about your person and you are in public.
Maybe they don't have a CHL like it says in the subject line.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

lunchbox wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Just so you know we aren't all marching to the same drummer, I have no problem what so ever with showing my CHL to an officer during a traffic stop. I want to be sure that the officer knows I am one of the good guys with a gun...not a homeboy with a desire to act out the latest rap song. If it makes an officer feel less threatened for me to show my CHL...what the heck...not a big deal to me.

i would hope thats the case. that they would see that your the good guy
however i dont see it that way you bring up the G word (i dont mean glock ether) and then they get tense and apprehensive. thats why so many members here have talked about being disarmed without cause
I have not been stopped with my CHL active yet, so I don't have any experience with how the officer acts about it. I sure hope the officer doesn't start acting ignorant on me. Something like that would definnitely cause me to change my opinion.

lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

this is what we are doing

Elvis

Post by Elvis »

As a citizen you are very much entitled to tell your government how you should be treated. I agree that it isn't FAIR that someone get caught up in a speed trap and as the head of an agency I will not tolerate that behavior from Officers. Please tell me how you would like to be Policed. What laws should be enforced and what laws should be ignored. Officer discretion is an important tool and really the only tool we can use to correct unfair laws and unjust rules. My point is your attitude about the Officers safety is important. If you don't care or think it is fair that you have to show your CHL, that is telling the Officer that you don't care about his safety. Why then should he care about your safety?

lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

Elvis wrote:As a citizen you are very much entitled to tell your government how you should be treated. I agree that it isn't FAIR that someone get caught up in a speed trap and as the head of an agency I will not tolerate that behavior from Officers. Please tell me how you would like to be Policed. What laws should be enforced and what laws should be ignored. Officer discretion is an important tool and really the only tool we can use to correct unfair laws and unjust rules. My point is your attitude about the Officers safety is important. If you don't care or think it is fair that you have to show your CHL, that is telling the Officer that you don't care about his safety. Why then should he care about your safety?

the number say the officer is much more likely to be shot at by a non CHL

Elvis

Post by Elvis »

boomerang wrote:
Elvis wrote:Your statement that in the car you really are not carrying under the provisions or authority of the CHL is not the case. Because you have a CHL you are carrying under the CHL authority anytime the handgun is on or about your person and you are in public.
boom, I am with you man. The point I was trying to make is you can't carry under authority of the CHL and pick and choose laws that suit your circumstances.

lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

Elvis wrote:
boomerang wrote:
boom, I am with you man. The point I was trying to make is you can't carry under authority of the CHL and pick and choose laws that suit your circumstances.
im pulling for this to be pulled from the books
i will present my CHL till i no longer need to then i will pic and chose if i want to let them know
for instance should i be in pearland PD turf those guys will disarm you every time

Elvis

Post by Elvis »

[/quote]the number say the officer is much more likely to be shot at by a non CHL[/quote]

No the numbers say the Officer is much more likely to be shot by a gun. After the fact the investigation will find out if the person had a CHL or not. The Point Is, everyone we come into contact with that is armed should be treated as a threat to our safety until the Officer is satisfied that you are not a threat.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 13

Post by WildBill »

What cracks me up about this whole thread is that many people in the forum think that it is best to show their CHL even when they are not carrying. :waiting:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”