Gov Perry supports CHL in schools

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dukesean
Posts in topic: 1

Gov Perry supports CHL in schools

Post by dukesean »

Has anyone else read this article yet? Would be great if we could get this passed for schools and universities in Texas...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 0bca6.html

As much as I dislike some of his other policies, I can't really complain about his stance on guns and concealed carry.
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

Wildscar

Re: Gov Perry supports CHL in schools

Post by Wildscar »

:txflag: :patriot: :thumbs2: :tiphat:
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

bryang

Post by bryang »

"I'm pretty much a fan that if you've been trained and you are registered, then you should be able to carry a weapon. Matter of fact, there's a lot of instances that would have saved a lot of lives," Mr. Perry said.

:iagree: Sounds good to me!!! :hurry:

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Well, I am kind of scared by that once you are registered part. But I will still say it is a lot more supprot than I expected from politicians at his level. It also probably reflects some small amount of political reality for the time being too.

So, overall - way to go Rick!
Steve Rothstein

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

I think he probably meant "licensed."
Byron Dickens

Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

srothstein wrote:Well, I am kind of scared by that once you are registered part. But I will still say it is a lot more supprot than I expected from politicians at his level. It also probably reflects some small amount of political reality for the time being too.

I think that the word "registration" is just a poor word choice. If you read all of his comments, I think that what he was referring to is "licensing." I could be wrong, but that's the way it reads to me.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

Mr.Scott
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mr.Scott »

This is the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. Arm everyone and then we can just shoot it out. You people act like there's a bloodbath in every school every day. Sure, there are a couple big tragedies that keep bringing us back to this debate, but it's certainly not epidemic! Besides, if some "thug" can get by the metal detector AND and armed guard/policeman, what makes you think he won't mow down Ms. Jones the English teacher as she reaches for her gun?
I get a kick out of people like this guy. They claim there isn't an epidemic of school shootings, but when there is one they claim there is an epidemic of school shootings and we need tighter gun control.
DIVIDED WE STAND, UNITED WE FALL

Mr.Scott
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mr.Scott »

Sangiovese wrote:
srothstein wrote:Well, I am kind of scared by that once you are registered part. But I will still say it is a lot more supprot than I expected from politicians at his level. It also probably reflects some small amount of political reality for the time being too.

I think that the word "registration" is just a poor word choice. If you read all of his comments, I think that what he was referring to is "licensing." I could be wrong, but that's the way it reads to me.
Right, basically when you get a license your have been registered. Also don't think you haven't been registered already when you bought that gun from a dealer. That little form you fill out isn't just to waste your time.
DIVIDED WE STAND, UNITED WE FALL

SlowDave

Post by SlowDave »

I had to post a comment on that site. In 7th grade in Houston, we had a gun club after school once/week. My math teacher was the sponsor. In that gun club I first shot blackpowder, a handgun, and skeet. Prior to that, I had been a squirrel/rabbit and deer hunter. It was a great experience. Can you imagine that today? It was only 1977-78.

waterpump1

Post by waterpump1 »

SlowDave wrote:I had to post a comment on that site. In 7th grade in Houston, we had a gun club after school once/week. My math teacher was the sponsor. In that gun club I first shot blackpowder, a handgun, and skeet. Prior to that, I had been a squirrel/rabbit and deer hunter. It was a great experience. Can you imagine that today? It was only 1977-78.
I think that would be a great experience for our kids :thumbs2: :txflag:
IANAL
NRA-member
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5/28/2008 completed chl app on
10/10/08 (plastic in hand) 84 days
"Especially for you Mr. Gore....From my cold dead hands!" Charleton Heston

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

I definitely think Gov. Perry was talking about licensing rather than registration. He has been consistent with his support for widening where CHL holders can carry; he made virtually identical comments following the Virginia Tech shootings and caught flak for his support for us then too.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”