Questions about Conceal Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The_Vigilante
Posts in topic: 1

Questions about Conceal Carry

Post by The_Vigilante »

After 4+ months of waiting I finally received my CHL today and have several questions regarding procedure when stopped by LE. 1) I am stopped by Texas DPS/Sheriff's Office/Local Police Department. I show them my Driver's license and CHL license but on this particular day am not carrying. However, I do have a concealed pistol in the car with me. Am I obligated to disclose that weapon to the LEO? If I am carrying am I obligated to disclose I have an additional concealed weapon in the car? 2) I am stopped by an out-of-state LEO. Am I obligated to also show him my CHL in addition to my Driver's license? I will probably have more questions in the future but these are my immediate concerns. Thanks
The_Vigilante
"A man can never own enough guns."

DoubleJ

Re: Questions about Conceal Carry

Post by DoubleJ »

The_Vigilante wrote:After 4+ months of waiting I finally received my CHL today and have several questions regarding procedure when stopped by LE. 1) I am stopped by Texas DPS/Sheriff's Office/Local Police Department. I show them my Driver's license and CHL license but on this particular day am not carrying. However, I do have a concealed pistol in the car with me. Am I obligated to disclose that weapon to the LEO? If I am carrying am I obligated to disclose I have an additional concealed weapon in the car? 2) I am stopped by an out-of-state LEO. Am I obligated to also show him my CHL in addition to my Driver's license? I will probably have more questions in the future but these are my immediate concerns. Thanks
1) Yes, show'em the CHL. if it's in your car, it's "on or about your person." only mention the weapon if the officer brings it up. only mention the location if the officer asks where it is. if you have more than one, then when asked, "Do you have any weapons on you?" I would respond with, "Yes, I have 1,2,4,176"
2)Whatever the laws are of THAT state. if an out of stater stops you in texas.... :headscratch I dunno.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

aardwolf

Post by aardwolf »

In Texas, you're required to show your CHL to the police if they ask for ID. You're not required to tell the police you're armed, how many guns you have, or where they are, but lying to the police is a bad idea. You have to decide for yourself if you want to go for full disclosure, walk the line between the truth and the whole truth, or remain silent.

Different states have different laws and they change over time.
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

brianko
Banned

Post by brianko »

aardwolf wrote:In Texas, you're required to show your CHL to the police if they ask for ID.
Only if you're carrying. And to be on the safe side, I'd show my CHL to a cop even if I had my handgun in the vehicle (but not necessarily on my person).

If you're not carrying, no need to complicate things.
A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
Member GOA (life), JPFO

AndyAg08

Post by AndyAg08 »

I was pulled over by a trooper and had my pistol under my seat. When he asked for ID I gave him both and then he asked where I had the gun, and after I told him that was that and the issue passed. Better to be safe than sorry

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”