Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JKTex
Posts in topic: 38

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Post by JKTex »

SRO1911 wrote:Just moved to a new town, on the front door of city hall (a three room building - if you include the bathroom and closet) are two roughly 6x6 red and white signs that have the proper language for 30.06, one in English one in spanish. They are definitely not valid - too small by far, and are on city property. The city does NOT even have a municipal court, judge, etc.
The only valid reason I can come up with is that the city council meets in the building once a month. or "meeting of a govt entity"

Question is - is the sign enforceable during regular, day to day activities. i.e. going in to pay water bill, picking up local newspaper, etc?
No. The only time it's valid is during public meetings, if it meets the requirements which is sounds like it doesn't.

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VoiceofReason »

Submitted with no comment. Request your opinion.
2014-08-04_13-00-37_695 - Copy.jpg
2014-08-04 Water district 2.jpg
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Keith B
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Keith B »

VoiceofReason wrote:Submitted with no comment. Request your opinion.
Not valid. Doesn't even come close to trying to be a 30.06. I would personally carry right past it. And since it says concealed firearms are prohibited I might even OPEN CARRY!! :biggrinjester:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Keith B wrote:
Not valid. Doesn't even come close to trying to be a 30.06. I would personally carry right past it. And since it says concealed firearms are prohibited I might even OPEN CARRY!! :biggrinjester:
When I retired I left Houston after 20 years and moved back to South Texas. To give you an idea how small the town is that I live in, the post office just looks like a regular house. It doesn't even have a sign that says Post Office on it. Mayberry is much bigger.

Both city limit signs are on the same post. :smilelol5:
Last edited by VoiceofReason on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 9

Post by MeMelYup »

VoiceofReason wrote:
Keith B wrote:
When I retired I left Houston after 20 years and moved back to South Texas. To give you an idea how small the town is that I live in, the post office just looks like a regular house. It doesn't even have a sign that says Post Office on it. Mayberry is much bigger.

Both city limit signs are on the same post.
You make it sound like all the businesses are outside of the city limits.

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

My opinion is that you posted a picture of some signs. :mrgreen: They don't mean anything, but depending on where they're posted they could be a courtesy reminder.

Where are they posted?

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

JKTex wrote:
My opinion is that you posted a picture of some signs. :mrgreen: They don't mean anything, but depending on where they're posted they could be a courtesy reminder.

Where are they posted?
At the County Fresh Water Supply District office (I assume county property).

We have had to go there a couple of times to pay our water bill so it wouldn’t be late

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 14

Post by sjfcontrol »

TxLobo wrote:Oh this one ought to be good..

http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/City ... 71651.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder where their City Attorney got his degree?

Another issue voted on at city council on Monday was the enforcement of a gun law in the town.
The law, according to Howard, was already in effect. However, it could not be enforced until the city hung official signs.
The law states that concealed handguns are not permitted on city property, even if the gun owner has a Concealed Handgun License.
The exception to the law is city employees who receive permission -- and also have a CHL.

Police officers in uniform are exempt from any such law forbidding a weapon. But when off duty, they fall under the same regulations as city employees who wish to carry a concealed weapon on city property.

"We need to protect our staff, our city council people, our police officers, our citizens that come to our meetings as well," she said.
City property, Howard said, includes city hall, the community center, the library and, once it's built, the town's park.
She said the measure is proactive, not reactive, and that no previous incidences led to this decision.
From a Cracker-Jacks box.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

And she's a Mayor? How does a Mayor put a legal item on an agenda without first consulting legal council? She just made herself out to be a complete irresponsible tool.

Amonix
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Amonix »

Not sure if it is posted. One of the Bexar County Tax Assessor's office has a 30.06 sign. I carried past it but had an interesting conversation with the "Manager" of the site who informed me that if I had my weapon on me they would tell me to go put my weapon away. I told them if I had it on me I would politely refuse to do so since it is a government property and they couldn't disallow me to carry. I was then told they would then call the police department if I didn't put it away. To which my response was "I have time if you wish to do that. They can't do anything about it." I even explained that I carried my weapon at the capitol on labor day without a single problem. Of any government building that I wouldn't be allowed I would have thought at the capitol. Very interesting group of people here. At that point the security guard asked me to leave the property unless I was there to take care of business. I told him I was actually there to take care of business an had my car registered in the county Sadly the police department didn't show up and the guy went back behind his counter.
Amonix
CompTIA A+ Certified Professionaln
CIW Certified Web Foundations Associate
[Changing the world one byte at a time]

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

TxLobo wrote:Seems that now the media has been informed that ... well, they can't do that..

http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/City ... 71651.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

***UPDATE***

According to state legislature, the law Mayor Howard references, Sec. 30.06 in the Texas penal code, is not enforceable if "the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity."
Sec. 46.035(c) of the Texas penal code, however, states that licensed concealed handguns are illegal "at any meeting of a governmental entity."

News 12 has reached out for a response from Mayor Sherry Howard regarding these laws.

I've sent her an email also, asking for clarification.. :rules: just .. well, you know. Slowly stirring..

Did you ever get a response? I haven't seen anything further in the media, although I'd wonder if they scrambled to try to make it go away. She's an elected official after-all, being that ignorant of law and not having legal council could surely get a few some attention that could be a problem come election time. :rules: :mrgreen:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”