Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

paxton25
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Post by paxton25 »

also, Baytown has a 30.06 posted on the door to city hall, at least as of a few months ago, the only restricted area there I believe would be the council chambers but I believe that is only when council is in session. The court building is not there. I thought it was odd because under mayor Alfaro Baytown was one of the first cities to push back against the legislative change that said municipal owned properties couldn't post 30.06. SO they definitely know about it. I can get pictures of either of these places if anyone needs them.

spx74
Posts in topic: 3

Post by spx74 »

Mesquite police station and City Hall; posted 30.06, but the letters are less than an inch tall. Like upper and lower case :rules:

RetNavy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Re:

Post by RetNavy »

RedRaiderCHL wrote:
I Just graduated from Texas Tech University in Lubbock in May 2014 and the new signs they have entering campus now are something along the lines of "any carrying of unlicensed firearms beyond this point is prohibited"

meaning now you can carry anywhere on TTU campus except inside the buildings. You might know all this already but i figured i would post the update as maybe there are some new incoming students looking for this answer.

My wife and I are in Lubbock for her Leadership Conference at UMC, this morning after dropping her off i drove a couple of the campus roads and they have "Unlicensed firearms prohibited" signs on the entry roads...
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 9

Post by cb1000rider »

Not the same thing... (I'm sure you're aware)

JKTex
Posts in topic: 38

Post by JKTex »

cb1000rider wrote:Not the same thing... (I'm sure you're aware)
Guess that's the downside of replying to year old posts out of context. :D

Call to Action SB273!!!!! :txflag:

bigity
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bigity »

More recently the police chief for TTU has outright stated he's not going to go after people with guns in their cars. He didn't mention anything about campus carry :D
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

bigity wrote:More recently the police chief for TTU has outright stated he's not going to go after people with guns in their cars. He didn't mention anything about campus carry :D
It would seem strange for him to say he's not going after people with guns in their cars since it's not illegal and hasn't been for nearly 2 years.

But we're going off track because none of this has to do with 30.06. :txflag:

JohnMarine
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JohnMarine »

Austin city hall is posted. They hold court some times and have the whole building posted everyday regardless if there is court that day or not.

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

JohnMarine wrote:Austin city hall is posted. They hold court some times and have the whole building posted everyday regardless if there is court that day or not.
A court or building with space used as a court is a prohibited place regardless of 30.06 so if Austin City Hall is posted, it's for no effective reason.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 28

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

JKTex wrote:
JohnMarine wrote:Austin city hall is posted. They hold court some times and have the whole building posted everyday regardless if there is court that day or not.
A court or building with space used as a court is a prohibited place regardless of 30.06 so if Austin City Hall is posted, it's for no effective reason.
This is incorrect. The definition of "premises" includes "a building or portion of a building, . . ." If only a portion of a building is used as a court, then only that portion of the building is off-limits.

Chas.

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
JKTex wrote:
This is incorrect. The definition of "premises" includes "a building or portion of a building, . . ." If only a portion of a building is used as a court, then only that portion of the building is off-limits.

Chas.
Thanks for the correction. I have to admit I don't think I've ever read it, I just thought I understood it. So much for thinking. :mrgreen:

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: This is incorrect. The definition of "premises" includes "a building or portion of a building, . . ." If only a portion of a building is used as a court, then only that portion of the building is off-limits.
Chas.
Chas, you ever test this at one of the civil court houses in Austin? They've got metal detectors. There are definitely courtrooms in the building, but there are also areas that exist simply for public record purposes.
I haven't been down there in a while, or I'd ask... I'm guessing I know what the answer is.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Post by mojo84 »

cb1000rider wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: This is incorrect. The definition of "premises" includes "a building or portion of a building, . . ." If only a portion of a building is used as a court, then only that portion of the building is off-limits.
Chas.
Chas, you ever test this at one of the civil court houses in Austin? They've got metal detectors. There are definitely courtrooms in the building, but there are also areas that exist simply for public record purposes.
I haven't been down there in a while, or I'd ask... I'm guessing I know what the answer is.
Kendall County's metal detectors are located on the second floor between the elevators and where the entrance to the courtrooms are. Where are the metal detectors located in the Austin courthouses you reference?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

mojo84 wrote: Kendall County's metal detectors are located on the second floor between the elevators and where the entrance to the courtrooms are. Where are the metal detectors located in the Austin courthouses you reference?
On the first floor. No one enters with a badge or a search. I guess the whole thing is a "courthouse".

I was at: 419TH DISTRICT COURT, which is at Heman Marion Sweatt
Heman Marion Sweatt Travis County Courthouse @ 1000 Guadalupe Austin, Tx.

The court was on the 3rd floor.
There's a cafeteria downstairs.
It also contains the civil part of the district clerk (same floor - 3rd).
It's a 6-floor building...

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Post by mojo84 »

cb1000rider wrote:
mojo84 wrote: Kendall County's metal detectors are located on the second floor between the elevators and where the entrance to the courtrooms are. Where are the metal detectors located in the Austin courthouses you reference?
On the first floor. No one enters with a badge or a search. I guess the whole thing is a "courthouse".

I was at: 419TH DISTRICT COURT, which is at Heman Marion Sweatt
Heman Marion Sweatt Travis County Courthouse @ 1000 Guadalupe Austin, Tx.

The court was on the 3rd floor.
There's a cafeteria downstairs.
It also contains the civil part of the district clerk (same floor - 3rd).
It's a 6-floor building...
This may be a good example why a law addreasing this is needed.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”