Man kicked out of apartment after shooting at crook

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

austin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Man kicked out of apartment after shooting at crook

Post by austin »

Anyone know the name of the apartment complex?

They need to be outed and made an example.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Here's my perspective. maybe the Apt complex is just being nice and "letting" this guy outta his lease because, well, basically I wouldn't wanna live there, after that!
a buddy of mine got burglarized while he was moving in; the apt was nice enough to let him outta his lease, cause his pregnant wife was certainly in no mood to continue habitating there!

I do realize, however, that this likely not the case, here.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 13

Post by seamusTX »

If they had let him out of his lease, it wouldn't be in the paper as a three-day eviction. It costs the landlord money to do that.

BTW, the guys who broke into his car aren't going to be pursuing that line of work for a while, and the defender has just as much chance of having his car broken into anywhere that does not have secure parking.

Blanco is a tiny town (I've been there) and probably doesn't have fancy apartments.

- Jim

Rokyudai
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rokyudai »

Anyone know the name of the apartment complex?
The Landera Apartments
Blanco is a tiny town (I've been there) and probably doesn't have fancy apartments.
Just for clarification, this happened in San Antonio off of Blanco (road), not in Blanco (town)
NRA Benefactor Member

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 13

Post by seamusTX »

Rokyudai wrote:Just for clarification, this happened in San Antonio off of Blanco (road), not in Blanco (town)
OK. Shoot me. ;-)

- Jim

Rokyudai
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rokyudai »

OK. Shoot me.
I don't have to, you have besmurched the entire town of Blanco's name saying it probably doesn't have fancy apartments. I'd watch my back! :biggrinjester:

Rok
NRA Benefactor Member

Nintao
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Nintao »

seamusTX wrote:I am truly concerned that people are forgetting "when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly
force is immediately necessary..."

If kids are TPing your house, a water hose is likely to shoo them off and save you a lot of trouble down the road.

A grand jury has a lot of opportunity to interpret reasonably and immediately necessary in a way that may not be in your favor. The fact that a particular grand jury ruled in favor of a homeowner at some point does not guarantee that another grand jury will do the same.

- Jim
Absolutely! I was just using the story from class as an example.

Now I might grab one of many battle axes and/or katanas to make them stop...

I certainly agree that it may be your right to use DF, but that judge or that jury is going to see things in their own way regardless.
"To listen, to learn, to that which is not spoken."

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

tbranch wrote:I'm a real estate broker and I just reviewed the standard Texas Association of REALTORs(R) Lease that is widely used for leasing duplexes and single-family homes. There is no mention of weapons in the lease although it leaves a broad opening for "illegal activities" and "nuisances."

I manage a few properties and I can't imagine evicting someone for defending him or herself.

Tom
Yup. My apartment complex uses the same lease. I read through every bit of it before signing, just to ensure that I knew there was nothing there about the prohibition of firearms or weapons in general.

On an amusing note, I had a friend in my complex who recently moved out. He used to own a gun shop, and has LOTS of interesting guns leftover from the business, as well as many crates of ammo. There's a new couple that lives upstairs from me who talked to him as he was moving out, asking what all that stuff was that he was moving. He nonchalantly informed them that it was several cases of ammo. I imagine their reaction was something like :shock: (judging from the way they told the story :mrgreen: ). I had this conversation at our complex-wide Halloween party, and got to talk with the guy about shooting and guns in general. I seemed to make some sort of inroads to dispel his notion that guns are too available and such. He opined that it's awfully easy to buy a cheap gun that could do lots of destruction. I stated the fact that a gun is really just a relatively simple machine, and that someone wanting to kill a bunch of people could much more easily buy a cheap beater car for just as much (without background checks or any of the other hooplah) and run down a crowd of people. This seemed to make some sense to him. We talked about shooting sports in general, and he's apparently been to a range here in town with his dad once. Next time we converse, I think I'm going to invite him to go to the range to give him a bigger dose of reality on the subject. :thumbs2:
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”