This happened today...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dwhitley
Posts in topic: 7

This happened today...

Post by dwhitley »

This happened today... I am pulling up in a parking lot and as I am pulling in a lady was being attacked by 2 young punks... one looked to have a knife but I am not 100% sure.. could have been a stick... either way they threw her down and stole her purse and then ran pased me as I was running to help her... they jumped into a waiting truck... I was carry my weapon in my truck as I do not have my CHL yet... so I did not pull it.... I wanted to as I got out to help her, but really the law passed through me and I thought I just am not sure... Well the cops came and the officer told me I did the right thing by not getting it out. What do you all think? How would you all have handled it..... let me know thanks.. DW
Thanks David
Anyone who mentions this site gets 10% off at my store. Visit my site for more info.
http://www.nerdsforme.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LCP_Dogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: This happened today...

Post by LCP_Dogg »

I think you did the right thing. Pulling a gun out could have gotten you killed - there 3 perps or more (at least 1 already in a truck), right? They would have you out manned most likely.

Also do you know what you would have done if you got there in time and got involved? What if they blocked you in and pulled that knife or worse, a gun, on you?

Anyways, glad to hear nobody got hurt...... Where was this??

sivart-dod

Post by sivart-dod »

LCP_Dogg wrote: Where was this??
Im wondering too, as I am in Houston.

Topic author
dwhitley

Post by dwhitley »

In Houston... Beltway 8 and Wallisville Rd..... In the Lowes parking lot... I have to say I really thought about grabbing my gun, but I guess I thought it through and said they are no threat to me... so I will remain calm and let it unfold... I had my hand on it in my console in case they came towards me and my truck, but yes I am glade they did not.... Folks this will get your heart pumping hard... DW
Thanks David
Anyone who mentions this site gets 10% off at my store. Visit my site for more info.

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

That cop has a bad attitude. Didn't the FBI just say shootings of bad guys during robberies are justifiable? Who's side is he on?

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

i would have pulled. no questions asked. you have the right to protect your neighbor. if i would have been charged with anything i would have been able to live with that knowing i did it to protect an innocent.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

casingpoint wrote:That cop has a bad attitude. Didn't the FBI just say shootings of bad guys during robberies are justifiable? Who's side is he on?
I doubt the FBI would ever give such advice, every states laws are different. I know Massachusetts laws pretty well, and I'm sure it would be against the law there as well as several other states.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

CJATE

Post by CJATE »

My 2 cents,,, you did good.

Be the best witness you can be, until a life (your or others) are in danger. The tail end of a smash and grab is not life threatening (as you have described it)…

Now, had you been there at an arms length to see the whole thing, that is different, and a case by case…

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

she was getting attacked. her life was in danger bottom line. he had every right to protect her. a smash and grab can go wrong very fast! an attack is an attack!

bryang

Post by bryang »

IMO, I think you did the right thing. The attack had already occurred and they were already running past you and had you pulled your gun things could have gotten really bad. I think I would have called the police and helped the lady. When the police arrive be a good witness and let the police handle it. Of course, it would have been different had they been armed and had used deadly force while attacking the lady and then threaten you! It is easy to say what we would have done, however, we were not there.... you were. :thumbs2:

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

You did the right thing. Given a choice of helping the victim as the bad guys leave or trying to stop the bad guys, the correct answer for 99% of the cases is to help the victim. She may have needed first aid or other treatemnt where your response could have been the life saving answer.

You would have been justified to pull a weapon, but then we are back into what you are going to do with the suspects. You may legally make the citizen's arrest for the felony, but without training it is a very dangerous thing to do. This is why the correct answer, IMHO, is to provide the assistance to the victim.
Steve Rothstein

aardwolf

Post by aardwolf »

If they were already running away I would let them go. I'm not willing to risk getting stabbed or shot for someone else's wallet.
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

asleepatthereel

Post by asleepatthereel »

aardwolf wrote:If they were already running away I would let them go. I'm not willing to risk getting stabbed or shot for someone else's wallet.
Gotta agree on that. Now had they attempted to make you their second victim, then that changes everything. You did the right thing.
Theres room for all Gods creatures. Right between the corn and taters!

15 Dec Applied online
Plastic in hand 30 Apr
Kimber Stainles Ultra Carry II
Colt Defender
M1991A-1 Series 80
Yep. I like .45s
Join and support the NRA today!

Topic author
dwhitley

Post by dwhitley »

Thanks all... Yes after a nights sleep on it I feel better about the outcome and that I can wake up another day.... I know if they had been aggresive towards me I would have had to defend myself... The lady will be ok with some bumps and all but she got to go home to her family. The BG got away but I am sure they will be caught in do time.... For those of you who have never been in this type of deal.. Let me say this your hands will shake like all get out. A real eye opener that is for sure.... DW
Thanks David

Doc K

Post by Doc K »

First off, IMHO, what I have to post is more important for me to hear than anyone else reading the post.

Discussions like this are important for CHL holders. (At least they’re important to me).
I have thought long and hard about scenarios that I might be put into.

What if I caught someone inside my truck stealing the new color TV I just bought at Best Buy?
What if Joe Horn’s situation happened to me?

I have made up my mind that I will draw only if I am doing so to save my life (not my new TV).
I will also draw to save the life of a friend or relative.

If I am in public, and I think someone’s life is in immediate danger, I better be very sure of the situation. In a stressful situation it won’t always be easy to be very sure.

I have been taking tactical lessons from local LEO’s. They tell me that when "a very,very serious problem arises"(words supplied by the forum's software, not me, mea culpa :txflag: ), things happen fast and are very violent.

The “This happened today...” scenario is a good example of how a situation evolves. Early on, reasonable judgment might be that the lady’s life was in danger. As soon as they were disengaging from the attack, it would seem that danger level started decreasing rapidly.

Casingpoint’s post seems to imply that CHL holders could/should exercise their right and consider using deadly force against robbery perps.

I struggle with what the criminal law allows me to do and what my personal rules of engagement are.

It seems that Joe Horn deeply regrets killing those worthless scumbags.

Using deadly force has consequences.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”