kurt_cobain
Posts in topic: 5

Question regarding restraining order

Post by kurt_cobain »

The "eligibility requirements" read:

(13) is not currently restricted under a court protective order or
subject to a restraining order affecting the spousal relationship, other
than a restraining order solely affecting property interests;

Well, I hav ea problem.... I've had my CHL for over a year now, and I just started having problems with my ex-wife. We've been divorced about 3 years, and we're going back to court. She's trying to various things to me, but that's all irrelevant to this question. One of the things she's doing is trying to do apparently is to get my CHL revoked by filing a RIDICULOUS restraining order against me (I see this woman like 2x/week when we exchange the kids, and I call her like once per week, IF that).

So, of course my question is, can she have me stripped of my CHL by doing this? ANYONE can go down and file a restraining order against ANYONE, there are no requirements at all. That sucks. This is completely bogus; she's obviously only doing it because she wants my CHL stripped.

dave_in_austin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question regarding restraining order

Post by dave_in_austin »

I believe that within a few days of the request for a restraining order, there is a hearing before a judge at you may appear and defend yourself against any accusations. If the judge does not think that the order is justified, he will vacate it.

Pinkycatcher
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pinkycatcher »

dave_in_austin wrote:I believe that within a few days of the request for a restraining order, there is a hearing before a judge at you may appear and defend yourself against any accusations. If the judge does not think that the order is justified, he will vacate it.
A guy getting a restraining order lifted against him by an ex-wife? That's actually done?

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I am speculating here, but I would suppose that she could not simply walk into a courtroom and ask for a restraining order without showing cause.

Police reports, hospital visits, or whatever she can point to and use as justification for the order.

If things are simply as you state them then she is probably just blowing smoke...
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

There have been previous posts on this topic. When you have a complaint again you and don't respond and defend yourself the judge can rule against you. IANAL, but I think you need to talk to one.
NRA Endowment Member

Pinkycatcher

Post by Pinkycatcher »

Purplehood wrote:I am speculating here, but I would suppose that she could not simply walk into a courtroom and ask for a restraining order without showing cause.

Police reports, hospital visits, or whatever she can point to and use as justification for the order.

If things are simply as you state them then she is probably just blowing smoke...
Restraining orders aren't terribly hard to get, especially for an ex-anything, ex-boss, wife, girlfriend, employee what not. Especially if it's a female against a male.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Purplehood wrote:If things are simply as you state them then she is probably just blowing smoke...
Things that happen in a courtroom are rarely simple.
NRA Endowment Member

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

My point is, is it going as far as a courtroom?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Purplehood wrote:My point is, is it going as far as a courtroom?
I hope not, but apparently Kurt thinks so.
kurt_cobain wrote:We've been divorced about 3 years, and we're going back to court.
NRA Endowment Member

stroo

Post by stroo »

You need to talk to your lawyer or if you don't have one, you need to get one, fast!

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

As a fellow CHL holder I am going to operate on the assumption that she has no real grounds for such an order. With that said such an order has other, even more dire, consequences if I'm not mistaken. You loose the ability to buy firearms with it in place, you can not be in possession of your firearms while its in place, ect. Is it just the CHL she is targeting or is it all your firearms, why does she want this? Doesn't she realize that there are consequences for wasting the courts time with false accusations? If she is willing to do this to get at you is she willing to harm the kids to get at you? These are all questions you need to have answered.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
kurt_cobain

Post by kurt_cobain »

Well I'm not confident I"ve gotten an accurate answer to my question.

There are two issues with the eligibility requirements that lead me to elieve that if she gets it on me that it will NOT revoke my CHL. One, she isn't my "spouse" anymore, we're not married. And 2, the language is talking about eligibility requiremnts and says you can't "currently have" etc. Well, I already HAVE my CHL, I'm not trying to apply for a new one.

I find it hard to believe that, as easy as it is to get a restraining order on ANYONE, that simply filing one on someone could have them ineligible for getting a CHL, firearm etc. I mean, basically that means I could go do that to someone I didn't like, just to F with them.

Also, I'd like to not focus on whether she can get the order, butmore on whether if she got it it would invalidate my CHL.

As for why she's doing this, the reason should be obvious.... she's tryin gto hurt me anyway she can, and she knows I have a CHL and that I am into guns as a hobby somewhat. Of course she claims she's "worried" that I carry it since we're fighting righ tnow - and that's absolutely absurd. I have no criminal background whatsoever (obviously - I have a CHL! Duh) etc. She's just stupid and trying to hurt me, any way she can.

As for claiming I'm harrasing her? LOL! I asked her to stop calling me the other day. I got two phone calls (that I ignored) and 3 text pages (underanswered ) LAST night. Doesn't sound like I'm doing any harassing here... geez.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

IANAL, but here is the law. I believe it can be revoked if you no longer meet the original criteria [except as noted in the law.] As far as not being married I believe that protective orders consider former spouses as family members.

As I stated in my first post, I believe that you should talk to a lawyer who is familar with these laws. This forum has a lot of knowledgable people, good information and resources, but it can not replace sound legal advice.
:tiphat:

GC Section 411.186. REVOCATION. (a) A license may be revoked under
this section if the license holder:
(I) was not entitled to the license at the time it was issued;
(2) gave false information on the application;
(3) subsequently becomes ineligible for a license under Section
, unless the sole basis for the ineligibility is that the license
holder is charged with the commission of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor
or an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or of a felony
under an information or indictment;
(4) is convicted of an offense under Section 46.035, Penal Code; -
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
kurt_cobain

Post by kurt_cobain »

WildBill wrote:IANAL, but here is the law. I believe it can be revoked if you no longer meet the original criteria [except as noted in the law.] As far as not being married I believe that protective orders consider former spouses as family members.

As I stated in my first post, I believe that you should talk to a lawyer who is familar with these laws. This forum has a lot of knowledgable people, good information and resources, but it can not replace sound legal advice.
:tiphat:

GC Section 411.186. REVOCATION. (a) A license may be revoked under
this section if the license holder:
(I) was not entitled to the license at the time it was issued;
(2) gave false information on the application;
(3) subsequently becomes ineligible for a license under Section
, unless the sole basis for the ineligibility is that the license
holder is charged with the commission of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor
or an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or of a felony
under an information or indictment;
(4) is convicted of an offense under Section 46.035, Penal Code; -

Well, 411.172 says this:

"(13) is not currently restricted under a court
protective order or subject to a restraining order affecting the
spousal relationship, other than a restraining order solely
affecting property interests;"

She is NOT my spouse. I'm predicting that this would not make me ineligible... I will find out soon, and post the result. If it does, that's a dumb law, to say the least, because that means any ex-wife can get your license revoked and mess with your life by doing this.

Not to mention that even the spirit of what it's trying to do is STUPID anyway, because if some ex-husband is going to go on a killing spree toward his ex-wife, he certainly is NOT going to care one bit if his CHl has been suspended.

Thanks

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

For some more background information, you may want to check out the website of the Attorney General of Texas.

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/victims/protective.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”