CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
brianko
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

K-12 carry: Some random thoughts

Post by brianko »

I've been mulling the idea of contacting my district's superintendent with a request for written authorization to carry at school. Of course, I think we all know the chances of this actually being approved is somewhere south of nil, but I got to thinking about a couple of things:

1. What if there was a concerted effort by many educators to contact their district supers, using similar logic and reasoning? Might this carry more weight than a single educator seeking the same?

2. Would a school district be culpable for death or injury from a school shooting if it could be shown that they received and denied one or more requests for concealed carry by licensed educators? Could there be some way to leverage this in our favor?

3. Does the concept of in loco parentis (that the educational institution assumes the duties of a child's parents while the child is at school) carry any weight in this argument? Specifically: Can the argument be made that an educator assumes the responsibility of protecting his or her charges, to the extent that they would protect their own children by?

4. Some school districts have no explicit policy with regards to educators and firearms on the premises (as defined by statute). Does the possibility exist that a school district could try to tighten its policies in response to such a request?

5. Who, exactly, has the authority to issue "written authorization" for concealed carry in school? The principal? Any district employee? Only the superintendent?

6. What is the probability that a school district might commence disciplinary action against an educator who made such a request? I believe that most, if not all, of the professional organizations that represent educators are left-leaning and anti-gun, and that they would try to distance themselves as far as possible from representing a member who was being harassed for their pro-2A stance.
A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
Member GOA (life), JPFO

SlowDave

Re: K-12 carry: Some random thoughts

Post by SlowDave »

I could see this working better (and less risky for the requestors) if the requestors were not employees but rather parents of students. On the other hand, I don't see the connection, since the school administrators (whichever one(s) can grant permission) are not legislators and there is a thin chance that they would report their woes of many requests to state legislators.

CJATE

Re: K-12 carry: Some random thoughts

Post by CJATE »

I would like to see it opened to all school districts. I can see an additional class regarding fire arms in crowds + marksmanship + crisis prevention + counseling + first aid ect… let the teachers who want take this class and carry in schools. Even a continuing ed class ever year or so.

I also want A LOT of press about it, I would like to think the idea would be as much of a deterrent as the gun…

And I agree the parents should request, not the staff.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”