Crisis Building in Neighborhood

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Chickenman
Posts in topic: 1

Crisis Building in Neighborhood

Post by Chickenman »

I have a friend (not a member of this forum ) that needs a non-violent way to head off a problem with some trouble makers.

My friend is a 70 year old retired General grade officer. He has lived in his neighborhood for 25 years with no trouble. Haloween night, he awoke to some noise out in the street. Several teenage young men were running through yards and down the street throwing themselves against parked cars. Three of them made it into his yard and body slammed themselves against his car.

He came out and yelled at them to leave. Lot of gestures and trash from the teenagers and they were gone. he recognized them as 3 brothers from 4 houses down. They range in age 10 yrs- 17 yearsl old.

The next day he went over to talk to dad and met the youngest in the driveway with the other two standing among some clutter in the garage. The youngest says he does not have a dad, my friend insists he wants to talk to his father , the other two are moving in the garage reaching for something and he leaves.

Hours later a man shows up and identifies himself as responsible for the boys. He is their uncle, mom recently murdered dad not to be found since divorce nearly 7 years earlier. He can't control them. My friend asks if they have a gun in the garage ( he thought he had seen something in one of their hands) uncle says I think they might.

Over the last few weeks boys have started making more eye contact, hanging out closer to his house, and walked through his yard again with him in plain sight.

A week ago he was returning home with his wife, it was not dark but very near, the boys stood in the street in a position that would not allow him to reach his house. They turned their backs on him as they blocked his way. Wife was driving and had to go aroung the block to enter driveway as they watched from one house over. Interesting-wife blames him

He has called the cops and they have advised him to keep a record of their activity. I am afraid this is going to be right up until these kids cross the line then someone is getting hurt.

Lot of old heads here with lots of experience-we know a gun is not the answer and the three of them together are capable of doing a lot of damage to an older man especially if he is surprised.

I know these kids are slowly escalating this to some point known only to them. I will see my friend Monday-have any of you got any ideas?

brianko
Banned

Re: Crisis Building in Neighborhood

Post by brianko »

Hours later a man shows up and identifies himself as responsible for the boys. He is their uncle, mom recently murdered dad not to be found since divorce nearly 7 years earlier. He can't control them. My friend asks if they have a gun in the garage ( he thought he had seen something in one of their hands) uncle says I think they might.
Given the circumstances, direct confrontation will probably not solve anything and simply escalate the problem.

This alone might be a good reason to get CPS involved, especially if you believe firearms and child abandonment might be at issue. The police might be interested to know that there are firearms accessible to minors.

I have to laugh at the cops' advice to "keep a record of their activity." So typical.
A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
Member GOA (life), JPFO

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 6

Post by seamusTX »

This is a tough one.

CPS involvement is a good idea. The simple fact of a 10-year-old living in a house without a legal guardian (if that is what is going on) should be enough for them to jump on the case.

Criminally inclined kids are very problematic. They have little restraint, and the fear of getting caught is not a deterrent to them. The justice system does not deal out meaningful punishment except in the worst cases, and some minors know this.

I would recommend a locked fence, motion-activated lights, a large dog, and a shotgun, if the man has not already taken these precautions. They are the best first line of defense against all types of intruders.

(I can't resist a little sermon here: It seems people will spend tens of thousands on TV sets, jewelry, etc., and not a small fraction of that to protect themselves.)

Restraining orders are useless in and of themselves, but someone who violates a restraining order can be taken into custody and jailed for contempt, without the usual procedures of bail and a trial.

- Jim

flb_78
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flb_78 »

Rubber Buckshot.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Do no small injury to an enemy.

Discharging a firearm is aggravated assault whether it's loaded with beanbags or bullets, whether you hit or miss. You need a legal justification for doing so.

The good old days of peppering kids who are trespassing or otherwise goofing off are long gone.

- Jim

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Let the punks see him regularly carry a carbine from his car to his house. Carry it everytime he goes out. Open carry of a rifle/carbine is perfectly legal in TX. I think if they see it they will not likely be inclined to harass him.

:fire

CPS might be a viable option. The uncle admitted to not being able to control them. :boxing

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Unfortunately, that's not going to stop them putting out antifreeze for his pets to drink or setting his house on fire when he's not home.

- Jim

Frost
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Frost »

flb_78 wrote:Rubber Buckshot.
If that was supposed to be a joke i do not find it amusing.
It can happen here.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Your friend will continue to have issues as long as the kids are focused on him. The immediate challenge is to refocus the kids' interests elsewhere.

Has anyone tried talking to the kids themselves, either directly or through a neighborhood emissary?

A direct but nonconfrontational approach is often more successful than legal measures in situations like this.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Frost wrote:
flb_78 wrote:Rubber Buckshot.
If that was supposed to be a joke i do not find it amusing.
Why should it be a joke? It they're on his property and he doesn't want to permanently injure them, then rubber buckshot is the way to go. :thumbs2:

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Did you read what I wrote?

- Jim

Hos

Post by Hos »

Definitely CPS. They don't usually do too much but maybe their presence and knowledge will "wake up" the Uncle and educate him to his options. Maybe if the kids see that if they don't behave they'll be forced to move away from their cushy gig and have to move to foster care they'll shape up.

I wish that Uncle would help the 17 year old get a job. They are going through a tough time but they still can't intimidate people and need something constructive to do.

Gun in the car too for when they come home and are prepared for the worse. They can travel in pairs and wait it out, maybe the kids'll think of something else to do soon.

Let us know how it goes, sad stuff.
God, Goats, and Guns

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

seamusTX wrote:Did you read what I wrote?

- Jim
I sure did. I replied to Frost's comment though, not yours.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Shooting at trespassers on land with any firearm is a felony, unless those trespassers are engaging in some other crime that is a justification for deadly force.

Load, aim, "warning shots," etc., make little legal difference. (They might make the difference between aggravated assault and homicide.)

People really need to know the law before pulling the trigger. The tuition for lessons learned afterward is very expensive.

- Jim

Plato

Post by Plato »

Did he file some kind of complaint with the authorities. Kids touching my cars would pretty much be enough to get me off the dime on that. Make it clear these kids are not welcome on the property and have been warned off. Then maybe put up one of those motion cameras deer hunters use to track game. After that the police should have enough to deal with future tresspassing events.

I could say alot more, but won't do it here.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”