'Palm Pistol' aimed at elderly and disabled

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Kythas
Posts in topic: 1

'Palm Pistol' aimed at elderly and disabled

Post by Kythas »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,461928,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You've heard of the Palm Pilot? Well, here's the Palm Pistol.

Constitution Arms, a small arms manufacturer based in Maplewood, N.J., is taking deposits for what it touts as the world's first ergonomically designed firearm.

Intended for use by the elderly and disabled, the single-shot 9-mm weapon looks like a giant bean grasped in the palm of the hand.

The barrel points out between the user's fingers. You "pull" the trigger by pressing on a thumbed button at the top.

"Point and shoot couldn't be easier," states the blurb on the product's Web site.

Even better, Constitution Arms says it's had it certified by the FDA as a "Class I Medical Device." That means doctors could prescribe the handgun to qualified patients, who would then have some or all of the cost reimbursed by Medicare or private insurance.

The gun will cost about $300. A deposit to get yours when it's ready is $25, though Constitution Arms doesn't say exactly when that will be.
------------------------------------

I love that they got it certified as a medical device and it can be paid for my Medicare. :thumbs2:
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

srothstein

Re: 'Palm Pistol' aimed at elderly and disabled

Post by srothstein »

Earlier, we discussed the design of the pistol (IIRC, I think it was in this forum a couple months ago). Many of us did not like some of the features and the owner kept reminding us of his target market, the elderly or handicapped.

I think the fact that he has pursued the medical device certification and is working on getting Medicare to pay for it is great. Besides showing the dedication to his target market and his business acumen, I think the owner has just done gun owners in general a large favor. The favor consists in two parts. The first is that he now has obtained for us official recognition froma federal agency that firearms are a normal part of daily human life that even the handicapped should be able to participate in. This certification, if I understand correctly, can only be applied to assistive devices for normal daily life activities. This can be a tremendous boon to us in the future.

The second part is the precedence this sets for future cases. If the government recognizes one type of firearm as required enough that it can be prescribed, we can use this for other arguments too. It may not be a legally binding decision for courts, but it is going to help us in a lot of other ways. Think about the recent push to change carry in national parks. Can you see the Park Service taking away doctor prescribed assistive devices?

I am going to see if I can buy one of his pistols, not because it does anything special for me (yet), but to help support him in the legal costs for these medical battles where we are breaking new ground in our fight for our rights.
Steve Rothstein

agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

I like how the shape lends itself to becoming a cane very easily.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Not thrilled about the single shot, though. Couldn't it be at least a horizontal double-barrel? Someone who has very limited mobility but finds themselves needing to shoot shouldn't have only a single round to call on.

Oh, well...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Weg

Post by Weg »

It sure looks strange.

subsonic

Post by subsonic »

Weg wrote:It sure looks strange.
There are earlier palm pistols.

My concern is it looks a little like an Advair Diskus.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

TEX

Post by TEX »

How long before someone calls this an assassination tool? If the muzzle were pressed hard against the target, there would be virtually no report. If the device was painted flesh colored, it would go unnoticed. Does this guy really think it will get approved as a medical device? I would be very surprised if he did. All it takes is one anti-gunner in the chain of approval and …
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

TEX wrote:Does this guy really think it will get approved as a medical device?
Yes. They say it will be listed as a Class I Medical Device by the FDA.

I don't see it in the FDA database yet but the database is only current to 11/10/2008.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Might the ATF consider the shape of this pistol as disguising its nature as a firearm, and therefore make it an AOW under the National Firearms Act?

atxgun

Post by atxgun »

"rlol" I want a prescription gun.

I can see the commercials now, "Why don't you ask your doctor about Bangotrex"

Pinkycatcher

Post by Pinkycatcher »

boomerang wrote:
TEX wrote:Does this guy really think it will get approved as a medical device?
Yes. They say it will be listed as a Class I Medical Device by the FDA.

I don't see it in the FDA database yet but the database is only current to 11/10/2008.
The FDA canceled that I read somewhere.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

FDA nixes proposed 'prescription pistol'
By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR – 1 day ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — It could have been the world's first prescription pistol. The single-bullet Palm Pistol set the Internet abuzz with speculation that Medicare might even pay for the elderly and disabled to pack heat.

But Monday the Food and Drug Administration said the Palm Pistol doesn't have a shot of being listed as a medical device, and revoked the registration issued to its inventor only last week.

"The FDA has determined the product is not a medical device," the agency said in a statement.

The inventor is crying foul. "I would assume it's due to political pressure," said Matthew M. Carmel, from Maplewood, N.J. He said he's researching a possible appeal.

Medicare, the giant health care program for seniors and the disabled, would have never covered guns for grandmas anyway. "Medicare will not cover it because there is no approved category for weapons," said spokesman Peter Ashkenaz. "So it would not be viewed as reasonable and necessary."

Carmel said the elderly and disabled are easy targets for criminals, and the Palm Pistol could be an equalizer. Shaped like an oval, it fits in your palm. The barrel sticks out through your fingers. And instead of pulling a trigger, you push down on a button with your thumb. No working models exist yet, Carmel added.

But he said he wanted to start advertising to seniors, so he called the FDA and was advised to register his company, Constitution Arms, as a medical device facility and list the Palm Pistol as a "recreational adaptor." The registration seemed to go through without any problems.

FDA spokeswoman Siobhan DeLancey said Carmel apparently got some bad advice from an FDA representative.

And maybe he should have paid more attention to the fine print on the registration notice. It said: "Registering ... does not, in any way, constitute FDA approval of your facility or your devices."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD94UQUEG1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree that this is not a medical device.
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

WildBill wrote: I agree that this is not a medical device.
However, it could cause someone to need immediate medical attention! :biggrinjester:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:
WildBill wrote: I agree that this is not a medical device.
However, it could cause someone to need immediate medical attention! :biggrinjester:
A medical device is supposed to help with a medical condition, not cause one. :mrgreen:

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

anyone else get a chuckle out of the title saying the exact phrase: "Pistol Aimed at Elderly?"
maybe a better choice of words could have been found....

I know, I know..... :leaving
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”