Ban lifted on loaded guns in national parks

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

DONT TREAD ON ME

Re: Ban lifted on loaded guns in national parks

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

For instance, they have a "protest against illegal guns." Uh... WHAT? Who are they protesting AT? Are the picketing the homes of criminals or something? I somehow think not.

thats incredible :banghead:

bdickens
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bdickens »

I can't figure out wheher the BradyBunch is promulgating stupidity or tyranny.
Byron Dickens

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 7

Post by seamusTX »

Why not just take them at their word?

The people who run those organizations want to ban guns. Their talk about "sensible gun control" is simply political cover for ideas that they know would be shot down in the cold light of day. They refuse to acknowledge that banning guns will not reduce crime or have any other positive consequence.

They are also making a good living at it.

They are very much like book banners. Book banners think that by suppressing a book they can extinguish an idea. That has never worked, and in a free market, calling for a ban on a book often makes it a best seller.

- Jim

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

seamusTX wrote:Why not just take them at their word?

The people who run those organizations want to ban guns. Their talk about "sensible gun control" is simply political cover for ideas that they know would be shot down in the cold light of day. They refuse to acknowledge that banning guns will not reduce crime or have any other positive consequence.

They are also making a good living at it.

They are very much like book banners. Book banners think that by suppressing a book they can extinguish an idea. That has never worked, and in a free market, calling for a ban on a book often makes it a best seller.

- Jim
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Jim Brady getting paid (his job) to do what he was doing when an illegal gun used by a convicted felon was used to shoot him? Again, if I'm not mistaken, what happened was against existing and apparently unenforced laws when it happened?

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Not quite. John Hinckley, Jr., could legally purchase and own a firearm. He was mentally ill, but he had never been involuntarily committed.

Someone in his situation today could still legally purchase a firearm, so the Bradys haven't made much progress.

- Jim

mr.72
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr.72 »

seamusTX wrote: Someone in his situation today could still legally purchase a firearm, so the Bradys haven't made much progress.

- Jim
Particularly since the Bradys usually exempt the type of guns that Hinckley used from their efforts to ban. Hinckley used a .22 cal revolver.
non-conformist CHL holder

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Not wishing to appear argumentative, but wasn't the possession of handguns in Washington D.C. illegal in 1981? Truthfully, in my confused state :banghead: , I was thinking the assault came from "Squeaky" Fromm. Thanks for the wake up.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

SeamusTX said:
...and in a free market, calling for a ban on a book often makes it a best seller.
To which I say, Bingo! The way to raise the price and profit on anything is to ban it. Works with books, drugs, worked like a wizard on alcohol - the WCTU and Congress established Organized Crime gangs as major financial players in the American economy with that one.

Ban guns, the prices go up and so do the profits. And there is no tax to pay on illegal sales, so the take is even better.

The Bradys don't want a world without guns, they want a populace without guns and a well-armed criminal class, and the profits derived from arming them. Follow the money. Always.

And if I sound cynical, please point out a counterexample - a case in which something was banned and went away, as opposed to generating burgeoning profits.

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Which parks would still be off-limits to CHLs?
(I know anything in CA, but can't think of others.)
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Everything in Illinois and Wisconsin, which don't have concealed carry. Probably most of the northeastern states from Massachusetts through Maryland.

- Jim

Paddler112

Post by Paddler112 »

The Brady Campaign has an news email notifier I'm subscribed to. Keep your friends close and your enemies ..... :reddevil
I got this note from them on Wednesday:

MORE GUNS IN NATIONAL PARKS PUT VISITORS AT RISK
Dear Scott,

The Bush Administration has given the gun lobby a special last-minute gift — a very expensive one, … one that puts public safety at risk.

The Brady Center is taking action to stop it. We need your help.

The Brady Center has filed a suit asking a federal court to strike down the Administration’s last-minute rule change to allow concealed, loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges.

Please give a tax-deductible gift now to help us stop this unnecessary and dangerous ruling. It will allow guns in rural and urban national park areas around the country ...

... from Wyoming’s Yellowstone and California’s Yosemite to Philadelphia’s Independence National Historical Park, home of the Liberty Bell.

The Brady Center filed the suit on behalf of our Brady Campaign members, including school teachers in the New York and Washington, D.C. areas who are canceling or curtailing school trips to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty and the National Mall in Washington, D.C. now that the Bush Administration will allow guns in these national parks.

Click here to give today to support our efforts to keep our parks and wildlife refuges safe, to stop the gun lobby and the Bush Administration from enacting this last-minute ruling.

Sincerely,

Sarah Brady, Chair
What I find interesting is the part about canceling school trips to NY and WashDC. I don't think you can CCW in either of those locations so the rule change wouldn't apply anyway. Of course, this message is written for consumption by the anti-RKBA faithful who propably don't know that anyway. Sheeple :roll:

SlowDave

Re: Brady organization sues to rescind national park rule change

Post by SlowDave »

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence sued the Bush administration Tuesday in hopes of stopping a new policy that would allow people to carry concealed, loaded guns in most national parks and wildlife refuges.

The lawsuit said members of the Brady Campaign will no longer visit national parks and refuges "out of fear for their personal safety from those who will now be permitted to carry loaded and concealed weapons in such areas."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD95D7ILG0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey, excellent! I had heard about the allowing of concealed weapons in NP's, but I hadn't heard about the removal of ban gunning freaks from the NPs. Two for one! Happy New Year to me! Gotta go line up that trip to Big Bend.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

BobCat wrote: And if I sound cynical, please point out a counterexample - a case in which something was banned and went away, as opposed to generating burgeoning profits.
Absinthe and Viox come to mind. Wel you asked.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Venus Pax wrote:Which parks would still be off-limits to CHLs?
(I know anything in CA, but can't think of others.)
It appears that the entire west (left) coast of the United States is not receptive to Texas CHL holders.

boomerang
Posts in topic: 2

Post by boomerang »

Liberty wrote:
BobCat wrote: And if I sound cynical, please point out a counterexample - a case in which something was banned and went away, as opposed to generating burgeoning profits.
Absinthe and Viox come to mind. Wel you asked.
British beef. Leaded gasoline. Segregated water fountains.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”