Post by seamusTX »

Oh no! Not another alcohol thread!
:deadhorse:

- Jim

thankGod
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Christmas Party Carry

Post by thankGod »

Fortunately, more and more employers now will not give any personal information about former employees.
This is true prior to hire, due to lawsuits. However, after hire, then former HR's can freely give requested information to the new company. As I understand it anyway.
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 8

Post by seamusTX »

I had not heard that the former employer could disclose information after hire, but it is possible.

Most job applications also ask for the reason you left your last job, and they can fire you if you lie.

- Jim

tarkus
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tarkus »

seamusTX wrote:Oh no! Not another alcohol thread!

- Jim
If they're driving to the party there's no reason not to carry.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

tarkus wrote:

- Jim
If they're driving to the party there's no reason not to carry.
:anamatedbanana Drinking and driving AND carrying a gun??? :woohoo

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

- Jim
:iagree:

I went to a company Christmas party about a week ago. I had one beer. I carried. I drove home. I was within the law and there was absolutely nothing wrong with what I did.

If any of you plan on getting drunk, the choice is obvious. As for me, I do not get drunk, and I carry everywhere it is legal.

As for the Christmas party and company policy, I'm at somewhat of an indecision of opinion there. Will alcohol be served? Surely it is against policy to drink while you're working or on company property. If that's the case, then I'd say a party off-site doesn't really draw rules from company policy.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 8

Post by seamusTX »

Company policy is whatever the company says it is.

My employer allows alcoholic beverages at functions with the approval of a certain level of management. They specifically prohibit carrying weapons on company property or at company-sponsored activities wherever they may be held.

BTW, getting drunk at a company function is a bad idea. You might tell someone what you really think of him, or maybe commit sexual harassment.

- Jim

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

WildBill wrote:My company has an anti-weapon policy for work so carry is out of the question during working hours. Every year they rent a large venue [not posted 30.06] for the annual Christmas Party. Even though it isn't on company property, would you carry to the party? There will be an free open bar, so I guess 51% postings don't apply. I was just wondering since there will be eating, drinking, dancing and a lot of "Merry Christmas hugging" going on.
Bill,

I personally do not see why you shouldn't carry as you would outside of work as long as you are comfortable with the possibility of getting 'Christmas hugs'. I guess it helps you hone the 'one armed, while the other is draped over your holster' hug. I'm not sure if you are one to get your groove on the dance floor but that may be a challenge if you are dancing close with anyone not....uhm, acquainted with your 'yule-tide gear'. :mrgreen:

Aside from this particular occasion of the party, it's not much different than one's boss inviting his/her employees to, say, a restaurant after work and picking up the bill. As long as you are not at work, not expected to conduct business, and not in an area that is pre-excluded due to CHL restrictions, I say go for it.

:txflag:
Rok
NRA Benefactor Member

oldboyshooter

Post by oldboyshooter »

If it is against company policy to carry at work, I would not carry at the company Christmas party (in the car is ok).

Also, probably the quickest way to loose your CHL is to get stopped for suspision of a DUI with a gun in the car. Remember, the CHL license is most likely going to show up on the LEO's computer, so if you had too many and are stopped, you are dead meat if the gun is with you.

Best bet, drink sensibily and obey the companies rules where you work or work elsewhere.

amber

Post by amber »

If they have secure parking I might leave it in the car.

lagomorph

Post by lagomorph »

I carried in a similar situation at our company Christmas party and felt great about doing so. I have a feeling that several other co-workers were doing the same--this was definitely considered an outside-of-work gathering.
Class Taken: 3/8/08
Hand Delivered: 3/25/08
PIN Recieved: Somewhere around 5/1/08
Plastic in Hand: 6/19/08
Total Time: 87 days

jeeperbryan

Post by jeeperbryan »

in this economy i wouldn't do anything that might jeopardize my job. that's just me though.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”