Minimum age for MPA?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Blitzcraig
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Minimum age for MPA?

Post by Blitzcraig »

seamusTX wrote:Thanks. A couple of other thoughts on this:

A minor who is mature enough to pilot a 3,000-pound car that could kill or injure a dozen people in one stoke, ought to be mature enough to keep a handgun in the glove box.

Unfortunately, with boys in particular, the macho factor can cloud judgment.

You also have to worry about friends who may be in the car. Some of my teen friends or acquaintances were pretty irresponsible and impulsive, and they would have been just the type to play with a weapon if they found one.

Perhaps a quick-opening lock box would be a good investment.

- Jim
A little OT, but.... Our son just turned 16 and now drives my old pickup. He's what I would consider mature and responsible for his age (having only my actions as a 16yo to judge him by, which sets the bar pretty low). We're not ready to let him carry a firearm in his vehicle, legal or not at this point. In fact, the thought never even crossed my mind. We did, however, have him sign this agreement http://sites.google.com/site/parentingt ... r-contract (with some modifications) before handing over the keys. It's something I think every responsible parent should consider. It is NOT a legal document, nor is it meant to be. It's purpose is to get their attention as to the enormous responsiblity it is to operate a motor vehicle and the consequences for not doing so responsibly. They want to be grown up, they need to understand grown up responsiblities. I know we all want to protect our children, especially when we can't be there to do it ourselves. However, I personally think it would take an extraordiary individual to be able to accept the responsiblity of having possesion of a firearm in their vehicle at this age. I don't feel someone this young has the capability to make the judgement calls associated with the myriad of situations that could arise.

Blitz

boomerang
Posts in topic: 2

Post by boomerang »

seamusTX wrote:A minor who is mature enough to pilot a 3,000-pound car that could kill or injure a dozen people in one stoke, ought to be mature enough to keep a handgun in the glove box.
Amen!
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Topic author
SlowDave
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SlowDave »

Appreciate all the feedback. It is an extraordinary young man who is ready for this much responsibility, and at the same time, I agree that piloting a 3000 lb instrument of death requires at least as much responsbility. My son does not have much of the "macho factor," which is usually a good thing. The vehicle he'll be driving is unique in that it would be very difficult for someone else to stumble into the weapon, but not impossible, so a valid concern.

My thoughts are really that if he took an out-of-town trip, we might load him up with a handgun in the car for the trip so that if he broke down, he would not be completely at the mercy of whoever stopped to "help." I personally feel there are too many risks for him carrying a weapon in the car in-town and around with other young people and such.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”