written part of the chl test

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
05kas05
Posts in topic: 7

written part of the chl test

Post by 05kas05 »

this is probably a dumb question but how hard is the written part of the chl test,has anyone failed it.i am in texas by the way ,i really have no problem with the range part but i suck at taking tests.is this a multiple choice or what.i am hoping to not have a problem i have been studying the texas concealed handgun laws book.i will be taking my test on jan 17 and i am trying to prepare myself as best as i can.any thoughts and information would be highly appreciated thanks again--05kas05--

atxgun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: written part of the chl test

Post by atxgun »

05kas05 wrote:this is probably a dumb question but how hard is the written part of the chl test,has anyone failed it.i am in texas by the way ,i really have no problem with the range part but i suck at taking tests.is this a multiple choice or what.i am hoping to not have a problem i have been studying the texas concealed handgun laws book.i will be taking my test on jan 17 and i am trying to prepare myself as best as i can.any thoughts and information would be highly appreciated thanks again--05kas05--
I think the statement I've used before in answering this question is along the line of "a drunk monkey could pass it". So if you show up sober and are not a monkey you already have an edge. It is multiple choice. The questions are tantamount to

Should you shoot a 5 year old girl?
Yes.
No.
Depends how much lunch money she has.
Last edited by atxgun on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hos

Post by Hos »

My test was multiple choice and T/F. The instructor went over the test before handing it out. He said a few classes ago a 12 year old was in the class with their parent and took the test just for fun and passed it.

Get a good night's sleep, take notes, enjoy it and relax, it'll go fine. I did a quick google search and came up with this sample test:

http://www.talonsite.com/shootsafe/chltest.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
God, Goats, and Guns

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Crossfire »

I have never had anyone fail the written test who could read and understand English.

There are 50 questions. The first 14 are multiple choice, the rest are true/false. You can take the test up to 3 times. 99% of my students pass the first time. And, if they don't, we talk about what they missed and then they take it again.

Trust me - you can do this!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
05kas05
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 05kas05 »

so what is a failing score on the test or should i say how many can you miss and still pass the test,it sounds like its pretty straight forward i will just take my time and use commen sense thanks for the info

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

If you pay attention during the class, you will pass.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

Okay, let me put it this way. I firmly believe that every CHL instructor tries to do the best to ensure EVERYONE passes the test. The two instructors I've used specifically called out areas in the lecture that would be on the test (even to the point say "Now pay attention, because this is a specific question on the test'). Second, your CHL instructor (no DPS) is responsible for grading the test, while you are in the class. The ONLY thing that Texas DPS wants is a signed form from the instructor saying you passed. They don't even care about the grade, and your specific test is never sent to them. All that matters is that your instructor syas you pass for both the shooting and written portion, and sign their name to it. No other infomation is sent (such has what was the score on your shooting test, or what was the score on the written test). So, if your instructor grades the test, and you happen to fail, I can pretty much guarantee you they will set you back down, tell you why your answers were wrong, and give you another chance to correct them. And if you still manage to fail it after that, they may just sit by your side and quide you on every question. Instructors WANT their students to pass, and increase the number CHL licensees out there. They do everything they can to get them to pass.

Heck I'm not even sure my test was graded.There were fifty questions on the test but it took the instructor every bit of 30 seconds to tell me I made a 100. If I had to guess, he was looking at specific answers to key questions. Or he had been teaching the class since is started so he very well could have memorized all of the answer and just quickly scanned the answer sheet. All I know, my walk to hand him my test took longer than him to actually grade it.

Honestly I was quite surprised at the written test. I was EXTREMELY easy, and personally that scares me a bit. When you are apply for a license to carry a gun, I would think that you should have a deep understanding of the laws and consequences for doing so. Honestly, I think if the antis found out how easy it was to get a gun, and how easy the marksman ship test and written tests are, I'm quite sure they would have a con-niption fit. I think getting a driverls license test was harder than getting a CHL. I certainly know I didn't score as well on the dirving portion as I did on the marksman ship portion of the CHL. And I know I fared alot worse on the written portion on the DL test, than I didd on the CHL test.

Locksmith

Post by Locksmith »

No longer valid
Last edited by Locksmith on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Crossfire »

05kas05 wrote:so what is a failing score on the test or should i say how many can you miss and still pass the test,it sounds like its pretty straight forward i will just take my time and use commen sense thanks for the info
You have to miss more than 15 out of 50 questions to fail.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Crossfire wrote:
05kas05 wrote:so what is a failing score on the test or should i say how many can you miss and still pass the test,it sounds like its pretty straight forward i will just take my time and use commen sense thanks for the info
In other words, 70% is passing, just like most "government" tests.

Experienced instructors likely have a template (sheet with holes punched in it, corresponding to the correct answers). They just lay that template over your test and see how many holes don't have check marks in them.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

LarryH wrote:
Crossfire wrote:
In other words, 70% is passing, just like most "government" tests.

Experienced instructors likely have a template (sheet with holes punched in it, corresponding to the correct answers). They just lay that template over your test and see how many holes don't have check marks in them.
That's what my instructor did. It took less than two minutes to grade the test.
NRA Endowment Member

Fangs
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Fangs »

atxgun wrote:
Should you shoot a 5 year old girl?
Yes.
No.
Depends how much lunch money she has.
The answer is... C?

Hehe, but seriously, a bullet from a gun held by a 5-year-old girl is just as lethal as a bullet from a gun held by me... maybe just not as accurate. I'd hate to ever be in that situation.

I took my CHL course Nov. 1st. The day after Halloween. With 3 hours of sleep. I got 1 question wrong, something about, "Should you expect to be cut a little slack by LEOs because you have a CHL?" I said no. I guess I was wrong. :lol:
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

Bily Lovec

Post by Bily Lovec »

if you cant pass it, I dont want you carrying a gun :thumbs2:

dewayneward

Post by dewayneward »

For the posted the mentioned that there was a 12 yr old that took it just for fun, I heard the same story in my 12/7 class out in Grapevine.

I too got the jitters before taking the test. As another poster mentioned, if you cant pass this test, you shouldnt own a gun....AND I really have to question your reasoning skills. All of the questions are extremely straight forward. I would say that common sense along would get you to pass the test because the questions were common sense type questions. Most of the time the wrong answers were so obvious you could get the right answer in the lineup without even looking at the question.

It was almost close to the "can you shoot a 5 year old kid for no reason". I just gained more respect for the damage it does frfom all the pictures that I saw....that and the stuff about gangs and they whackoes out there convinced me to carry 24/7.

I know that you may be nervous about the test (I sure was), but just stay calm and listen and you will do just fine.

Oh y ea, and glad that you are going to soon join the CHL ranks. We need more of you (course I am still waiting on my plastic)....just wait until you are repeatedly checking the site to see the dreaded "application processing" ......
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

Blitzcraig

Post by Blitzcraig »

05kas05,

I too have a fear of tests, be they written, proficiency or everyday tests that life throws my way. I took the CHL class this past Sunday 1/4/09. Our instructor went over all the relevent material, as much as time would allow, being careful to point out things that would show up on the test. I was anxious as I'm not a fast reader. As someone mentioned earlier, the first 14 questions are multiple choice A/B/C/D, the remainder are True/False. This is a scantron type answer sheet. On the T/F portion, you will color in A for True and B for False. It actually took me a second to figure that out as it wasn't explained before the test. As with all written tests, read each question thoughly before you answer and you'll do fine. I made a 100 BTW.

Blitz

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”