Juvenile stuff

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mactex
Posts in topic: 4

Juvenile stuff

Post by mactex »

Ok. I screwed up when I was about 14 in '77 or '78. Honestly, I stole my mom's car and ran away from home. When the law caught up with me, I was kept in juvie for a week in the Austin area and then sent home to San Antonio where I saw a judge and was ordered to see a psychologist. I don't have a clue what I what I was actually charged with or what the disposition of the case was. Where should I start on this? Who do I need to contact for information? How should I fill out the application? Thoughts? Comments? Criticism?

Oldgringo

Re: Juvenile stuff

Post by Oldgringo »

Inasmuch as you were a juvenile when this crime was committed 30 years ago there may not even be a record remaining of your dastardly deed. How's that for criticism? :mrgreen:

There are those on this forum far more knowledgable than I who will be along to offer thoughts and comments. This will get your question back to the top so that those learned folk may see it and offer their counsel.

Good luck.

Topic author
mactex

Post by mactex »

Those some of my wife's and my thoughts as well. However, I tend to err on the side of caution in maters where the law is involved. I do recall something about it all going away, but I don't really know.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

mactex wrote:Those some of my wife's and my thoughts as well. However, I tend to err on the side of caution in maters where the law is involved. I do recall something about it all going away, but I don't really know.
Keep your post up here. There are some very informed folk on this forum who can and will share their knowledge and provide guidance.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

Mactex - What you have discribed is not a disqualifier for CHL, but unfortunately, it doesn't really "go away". Although your juvenile records are sealed when you become an adult, the DPS can still access them. The problem will be that you might have a hard time accessing them. You need to disclose the arrest on the application, and you need to do your best to come up with paperwork for it.

Start with the county criminal court clerk in San Antonio, as that is where you saw the judge. They can point you in the right direction. BTW, DPS knows how hard it is to come up with juvenile records, and they will cut you some slack on that. Do the best you can with dates and places. Attach a letter of explanation to your application if you can't get the paperwork.

Good luck to you!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Oldgringo wrote:Inasmuch as you were a juvenile when this crime was committed 30 years ago there may not even be a record remaining of your dastardly deed. How's that for criticism? :mrgreen:

There are those on this forum far more knowledgable than I who will be along to offer thoughts and comments. This will get your question back to the top so that those learned folk may see it and offer their counsel.

Good luck.
I agree....heck...this was pre-computers. Great story though. I did the same crime when I was 15, but me and my bud ran away to Galveston. We parked my moms car behind the Pasadena police station so it wouldn't get messed up or stolen...then hitch hiked to Galveston. ...Oh the care free days of childhood. I bet there isn't even a record of your misdeed.....or mine.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Inasmuch as you were a juvenile when this crime was committed 30 years ago there may not even be a record remaining of your dastardly deed. How's that for criticism? :mrgreen:

Good luck.
I agree....heck...this was pre-computers. Great story though. I did the same crime when I was 15, but me and my bud ran away to Galveston. We parked my moms car behind the Pasadena police station so it wouldn't get messed up or stolen...then hitch hiked to Galveston. ...Oh the care free days of childhood. I bet there isn't even a record of your misdeed.....or mine.
"Your chickens come home to roost"...somebody said that.

Topic author
mactex

Post by mactex »

You know,I like chickens. They give us eggs and chicken strips! :lol::

Thanks for everyones input.

Topic author
mactex

Post by mactex »

Alright! I was able to find the records and it was simple listed a run-away. I'm glad that none of the other stuff was on there even if it would not have hurt my chances at a CHL.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

mactex wrote:Alright! I was able to find the records and it was simple listed a run-away. I'm glad that none of the other stuff was on there even if it would not have hurt my chances at a CHL.
Congrats to you!
:woohoo
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

mactex wrote:Alright! I was able to find the records and it was simple listed a run-away. I'm glad that none of the other stuff was on there even if it would not have hurt my chances at a CHL.
Share this with your kids.

Good luck.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”