Delayed processing times for CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
DEADEYE1964
Posts in topic: 1

Delayed processing times for CHL

Post by DEADEYE1964 »

I was not sure if this is the correct place to post so please move it if needed. My question is does the processing time get delayed if you have lived out of Texas in the last 5 years? In other words, will a license get issued faster if you have lived in Texas for the last 5 years than if you have lived out of state during that stretch ? I did not know if the background checks are immediate like when you buy a gun or do they have to wait for someone to get back with them and they are at the mercy of the urgency of that person ?

I lived out of state ( Arizona) and have my concealed carry license there, I know I have no issues ( legally anyway) but I was hoping I do not have to wait for communication between 2 government agencies, I could be waiting for years.

Thanks,
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

seamusTX

Re: Delayed processing times for CHL

Post by seamusTX »

No one who knows how the application process works has revealed it.

My understanding is that at some point, a request for a background check is sent simultaneously to each place where the applicant (you) lived or worked. Then the background check that takes longest determines when the application can proceed further.

I have not heard anything about out-of-state background checks affecting the processing time.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

DEADEYE1964 wrote:My question is does the processing time get delayed if you have lived out of Texas in the last 5 years? In other words, will a license get issued faster if you have lived in Texas for the last 5 years than if you have lived out of state during that stretch?
It didn't delay processing my license.
NRA Endowment Member

texasag93

Post by texasag93 »

I lived in Ohio for 6 years and it did not affect my waiting time. I am glad I applied for my CHL before DPS started disreguarding the "60 days" part of the law. :grumble

I applied for my Ohio CHL and it took 3 weeks to get. If you live there for over 5 years, the license can be issued next day (depending on the county).

texasag
Last edited by texasag93 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texasag93

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

I was living in North Carolina when I applied for my Texas CHL and it didn't seem to delay my application.

09-24-07: Mailed my completed application to DPS
10-04-07: DPS deposited my check for the application fee
11-15-07: Received CHL

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Didn't delay mine significantly. I moved here from California in late '05, and had an AZ license. I had lived in Texas for barely 5 months and got my CHL in 61 days.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”