had to wait on NCIS check with texas CCW

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bayouhazard
Posts in topic: 1

Re: had to wait on NCIS check with texas CCW

Post by bayouhazard »

AEA wrote:How do you think they would like it if you said......
"Please give me a copy of your FFL license so that I can check the validity of it before I commit to a purchase from you" ?----- "just to be safe".
That's a great idea!

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

waffenmacht wrote:"How can you trust a man that wears a belt and suspenders? You can't even trust his pants."
ROFL!!! A bunch of years ago now, as a Technical Support Engineer at the phone company, I was dealing with a major international company that had built a power co-generation plant and put the switching station right on top of one of my telephone cables.

The possibility of a power event causing a "Ground Potential Rise" (GPR) and injuring people is admittedly low, but the possibility exists, and that possibility is increased by proximity with places where GPRs are expected to occur.

We approached the company before the station was complete and asked that they reconsider the location of the station due to the telephone cable being directly under it, which was a violation of the phone company's right of way to begin with.

They refused and thus began a series of talks between our experst and their experts, and I was one of those experts.

During one of the last meeings I was able to get their expert to agree with me that he could not reasonable or rationally predict what would happen in the event of a GPR and that thousands of volts of electricity could be expressed on the telephone cable and that people would likely be killed if that happened.

At that point our attorney declared victory and pretty much told them to move the station, which was now nearing completion, or pay us to move the cable, which would cost upwards of a million dollars plus right of way fees and property acquisition. Their VP objected to this, stating that such an event was rare and all this litigation and expense was really kind of overdoing things, "after all" the way he saw it this was nothing more than "a belt and suspenders approach to the safety issue involved."

At that point I stood up and unbuttoned my jacket, revealing my belt and suspenders, and asked those assembled if anyone thought that a belt and suspenders approach to protecting peoples' lives was a bad idea.

Even the VP didn't answer that one.

They paid us close to 1.5 mil to move the cable.

Belt and suspenders can work, sometimes.

BTW, I wasn't wearing suspenders, I was wearing braces, and they were as much for decoration as for utility, I have some really fancy ones - and the belt carried my pager, radio, knife, utility tool, etc. In Texas it would also carry my holster.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

bdhawk wrote:when i bought my last handgun, last month i had to wait around for a NCIS check even though i presented my CCW to the clerk and manager. it was at 'big r stores'. in dumas, texas.
i asked the clerk why, since i did have my current and valid CCW. he said it was ' a belt and suspenders deal'. just in case my CCW had been revoked and i had not had my CCW physically removed or i had not turned it in. the CCW was/is a third time renewal and the new renewal license was 'bout two months old. i was in the very first CCW class in my county, and was one of the first to receive texas CCW in my county after texas' inception of the law.

it only took a few minutes, and i choose not to make a big deal over it. i did not want to make it look like i had something to hide and arise their suspicions. it was the first time this happened since i received my CCW, and i really didn't like it. i liked the idea of the 'perk' of not having to go through the wait with a CCW. BTW, this was my second purchase of a handgun through 'big r', but this time they did the NCIS, too.

am i being a bit too thin skinned on this? has this happened to anyone else?

Unless you are in the Navy, I don't know why the NCIS (Navy Criminal Investigative Service) would be involved in you gun purchase. Maybe you mean the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) :)
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

bubba1876

Post by bubba1876 »

bdhawk wrote:when i bought my last handgun, last month i had to wait around for a NCIS check even though i presented my CCW to the clerk and manager.
I would think if you presented your CCW to the clerk and manager, they would probably present THEIR CCW to you! Bang Bang!! :lol:

Don't you mean your CHL ??? A CCW is a Concealed Carry Weapon. :lol::
Glock 19

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DoubleJ »

JJVP wrote:Unless you are in the Navy, I don't know why the NCIS (Navy Criminal Investigative Service) would be involved
in you gun purchase. Maybe you mean the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) :)
Subject: had to wait on NCIS check with texas CCW
DoubleJ wrote:
bdhawk wrote:when i bought my last handgun, last month i had to wait around for a NCIS check even though i presented my CCW to the clerk and manager.
/approves
page 1...
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Topic author
bdhawk

Post by bdhawk »

some of you guys can be the south end of a north bound horse. i transpose a couple of letters and some of you become complete jerks. what was sad is how many different times it was pointed out that i transposed a couple of letters. hell's bells, once would have been enough. and the ccw vs. chl, thing....well how petty can you get, mercy!! i just started posting on this forum and you really made a crappy first impression. blowing a simple little mistake into a big deal is childish, and nothing positive was accomplished. instead of giving feedback on my issue, many of you resorted to grade school shenanigans. gee, i bet you are all so proud. makes me wonder if i am wasting my time on this forum. with this kinda mentality, i am beginning to wonder if texas may be a bit too easy handing out concealed handgun licenses to people that exhibit such juvenile behavior.

will381796

Post by will381796 »

It's called playful teasing. All in good fun. Nothing to get your feathers ruffled about.
NRA Life Member
TRSA Life Member

CHL Class:11/22/08
App Submitted : 11/23/08
Received PIN:11/27/08
"Processing Application":12/13/08
Notified of TR100 error by CHL instructor: 12/23/08
Sent updated TR100 to DPS: 12/26/08
"Application Completed": 02/07/09
Plastic in hand:02/13/09

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

JJVP wrote:
bdhawk wrote:when i bought my last handgun, last month i had to wait around for a NCIS check even though i presented my CCW to the clerk and manager. it was at 'big r stores'. in dumas, texas.
i asked the clerk why, since i did have my current and valid CCW. he said it was ' a belt and suspenders deal'. just in case my CCW had been revoked and i had not had my CCW physically removed or i had not turned it in. the CCW was/is a third time renewal and the new renewal license was 'bout two months old. i was in the very first CCW class in my county, and was one of the first to receive texas CCW in my county after texas' inception of the law.

it only took a few minutes, and i choose not to make a big deal over it. i did not want to make it look like i had something to hide and arise their suspicions. it was the first time this happened since i received my CCW, and i really didn't like it. i liked the idea of the 'perk' of not having to go through the wait with a CCW. BTW, this was my second purchase of a handgun through 'big r', but this time they did the NCIS, too.

am i being a bit too thin skinned on this? has this happened to anyone else?

Unless you are in the Navy, I don't know why the NCIS (Navy Criminal Investigative Service) would be involved in you gun purchase. Maybe you mean the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) :)
Or the Marine Corps. :) Call me juvenile and thin-skinned.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

txmatt

Post by txmatt »

bdhawk wrote:some of you guys can be the south end of a north bound horse. i transpose a couple of letters and some of you become complete jerks. what was sad is how many different times it was pointed out that i transposed a couple of letters. heck's bells, once would have been enough. and the ccw vs. chl, thing....well how petty can you get, mercy!! i just started posting on this forum and you really made a crappy first impression. blowing a simple little mistake into a big deal is childish, and nothing positive was accomplished. instead of giving feedback on my issue, many of you resorted to grade school shenanigans. gee, i bet you are all so proud. makes me wonder if i am wasting my time on this forum. with this kinda mentality, i am beginning to wonder if texas may be a bit too easy handing out concealed handgun licenses to people that exhibit such juvenile behavior.
On the whole this is one of the friendliest and most helpful forums you will find. Please don't let a little teasing keep you from sticking around to find this out for yourself.

PS: In one of my first posts I referred to a magazine as a clip and was thoroughly corrected. It's just how these guys roll, don't take it personally.

thankGod

Post by thankGod »

bdhawk wrote:gee, i bet you are all so proud. makes me wonder if i am wasting my time on this forum. with this kinda mentality, i am beginning to wonder if texas may be a bit too easy handing out concealed handgun licenses to people that exhibit such juvenile behavior.
Chill dude! We all make mistakes, and a little ribbing should be as water on a duck's back. Stick around!

I would have waited for the background check. I may be a little perturbed by it, but its no skin off my back if the clerk is unsure of the rules. Besides, I'm already there and ready to make a purchase. It would be doing a disservice to myself if I left and had to go elsewhere. It's a time and money thing.
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

the thing that scares me is there are people running around armed that can't take a joke.....

THAT'S why I carry.... :mrgreen:
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

I have read this thread 3 times and i keep asking myself WHY.
Each time i purchase a firearm, I am never in a hurry, if i am in that big of a hurry that an extra 5 minutes in a store is going to end the world, i will wait til I am not rushed.
i always fill out the form and present my chl.
as far as a clerk doing a nics check, who cares, big deal, I am legal
if they choose to run the check it just gives me more time to inspect my purchase for flaws, or possibly cause an up sale of one more firearm that day :mrgreen:

I agree the chl streamlines a ton of work on the stores part

not trying to irritate anyone, i just have to ask why.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”