neck knives

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
05kas05
Posts in topic: 2

neck knives

Post by 05kas05 »

i was wondering if wearing a neck knife is legal in texas if anyone could chime in and let me know it would be appreciated.also if you have a recomendation for a particular one let me hear it thanks in advance-sorry spelling is off today

boomerang

Re: neck knives

Post by boomerang »

There's no legal difference in Texas between carrying in a belt sheath, in a neck sheath, in your pocket or in your boot.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

fm2
Posts in topic: 5

Post by fm2 »

I am a big fan of the small fixed blade knife. If you choose neck carry, remember the knife can swing on the end of the chain and move around if you end up on the ground/wrestling or someone gets neck control on ya. I have seen them move around to the back or come out above the neckline of a shirt.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jbirds1210 »

Here is the Texas penal code on knives:

"Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.
(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily
injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.

I have a little hideaway knife that I get creative with.....it is rarely hung around my neck because I just can't get to it fast enough. I like having a small (very sharp) fixed blade knife around.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Seburiel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Seburiel »

By way of hijacking this thread, has there ever been a definitive legal interpretation as to what the Texas legislature means when they use the term 'dagger' (Stilleto, dirk and poiniard I have a grasp of) I know most people that I have asked simply state that it means any double-edged knife.
-S.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

I'm not aware of any case law that defines "dagger," but "double-edged blade" is a definition that is commonly referred to.

FWIW, the dictionary defines it as "a sharp pointed knife for stabbing"--i.e. a knife that is designed primarily for stabbing rather than cutting.

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

mikejarhead wrote:Does that mean that is illegal to carry on your body?
Generally yes. Safer legally to carry a single edge < 5.5" blade.
mikejarhead wrote:What about in a vechicle?
It depends who you ask.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jbirds1210 »

mikejarhead wrote:Does that mean that is illegal to carry on your body?
What about in a vechicle?

Sec. 46.02. Unlawful. Carrying Weapons.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on
or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly enroute to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under
the person's control.
<SNIP>

In your car would not be illegal according to chaper 46 of the penal code. I realize that everyone is responsible for their own decisions, but I would not test this. Isn't it funny that it never mentions any exception for being enroute from a motor vehicle :nono:

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Topic author
05kas05

Post by 05kas05 »

ok so its legal but not recommended to carry a neck knife.alot of you recommend a small fix blade knife could you tell me which one you choose pics would be great but not necassery.i carry a swiss army knife with a nonlockable blade for general duty.i want to get a new knife and like the self assisted openers but i am affraid some cop will say its a switchblade or something and i dont want that trouble.i recently got my chl and dont want to loose it because i bought the wrong knife.i was looking at a kershaw leek or a fixed blade like this one do you think i would be ok with either of these.
Attachments
31EWPBEJ16L__SL500_AA280_.jpg
31EWPBEJ16L__SL500_AA280_.jpg (5.03 KiB) Viewed 3843 times

fm2
Posts in topic: 5

Post by fm2 »

The pictured FB knife looks fine. Think about carry methods you'll be using. The OAL is important, depending on your planned carry method, 5" - 6.5" OAL is a good length for a defensive blade carried horizontal. You can get away with a little longer for IWB carry etc...

Here's some to start your search off with.
ShivWorks Clinchpick
Benchmade 211 Activator
Benchmade 220 fixed resistor
BENCHMADE 155 FIXED PRESIDIO
Benchmade tether
CRKT FIXED FALCON KNIFE
CRKT Folts Minimalist
CRK-2010, CRKT, Crawford Kasper Dragon,
CRK-2030CW, CRKT, Crawford Triumph N.E.C.K. Knife

The sheath is usually the weakest part of the knife "package". So for all but the first one I'd plan on spending money on a custom sheath. They can be had for $30-$50 IIRC, and they are worth it!
Last edited by fm2 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

jbirds1210 wrote:Here is the Texas penal code on knives:

"Illegal knife" means a:
(D) bowie knife;
Sad day when a Bowie Knife is illegal in Texas. :txflag:
TANSTAAFL

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

fm2 wrote: 5" - 6.5" is a good length
Might want to rethink that advice, given that ""Illegal knife" means a: (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;".
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

SlowDave

Post by SlowDave »

gmckinl wrote:
fm2 wrote: 5" - 6.5" is a good length
Might want to rethink that advice, given that ""Illegal knife" means a: (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;".
I think his 5-6.5" recommendation is relative to overall length (fixed blade), of which ~1/2 would be blade.

How does this go with another thread I was just reading that a lockblade knife of under 5.5" blade length is illegal? Yeah, the NIOSA thread.

So, do I conclude from that that legal knives are:
a) fixed blades < 5.5"
b) no lockblade folders at all (lockblades have to be >5.5, but blades over 5.5 are illegal anyway)?
c) non-locking folders < 5.5"
??????? :grumble

[edit: oh, I think I just got the other poster's comment. Since lockblades under 5.5" are illegal and knives with blades over 5.5 are illegal, you need a lockblade that is exactly 5.5". Now I need to know how that's measured, exactly, and I need to get a pocket extension.]

Also, agreed on the Bowie knife. Sad day indeed.
Last edited by SlowDave on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B3XD

Post by B3XD »

Look at HideAway Knives. http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There are other ways of carrying them that work well.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”