CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
shh83
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Stephenville, Texas (one more week) and Rowlett, Texas

Just wondering...

Post by shh83 »

This question just popped into my head today…
If a person were unlucky enough to run into a situation that required to draw their weapon but not fire, would it be legal/wise/ethical to contain the BG with some sort of restraint? I am thinking about a simple zip tie style handcuff, and just thought that would be easy to carry if someone was willing. Something less obvious as a premeditated restraint would be, of course, a shoelace, etc.

To tell the honest truth, I would never consider this, regardless of the responses, I was just curious as to what others thought about the subject as well as the legality. I would be more than happy to be alive and would immensely enjoy the sight of the BG running full speed in the opposite direction from me!

Please, PLEASE, do not tell me I am an idiot for wanting to do this, because like I stated above, I would never. Just a simple question!!

Scott :patriot:

AEA

Re: Just wondering...

Post by AEA »

Are you trained in applying handcuffs, plastic or otherwise? Do you know body pressure points to get a person to follow your commands?

Even if the answer is yes to both above,.......are you sure the perp is the only one there that is a threat to you? Even if he/she is, do you think it is wise to get close enough and use your guard hand to try and apply handcuffs to them?

How about just handing the handcuffs to them and ordering them to put them on? What are you going to do when they tell you where to go and start running?

See my point?

Stop the threat, call the Police & report. Forget about any handcuffs and leave that to the Police.

NOTICE: And this comes from someone who is in fact trained in the use of handcuffs!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Stop the threat, call the Police & report. Forget about any handcuffs and leave that to the Police.
:iagree:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

If you are physically close enough to apply restraints of some sort to the subject, then you are too close for safety. Stand off; keep your gun on him; wait for the police.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

Because of the laws I don't plan to detain anyone. If I pull my gun it is because I am going to fire it...that is the plan anyway. That criminal’s decision to run away is their own but they will not be doing it with a weapon or obviously I didn't "stop" them from further aggression against me or some other innocent. The difference, in my own mind anyway, is that my gun will be at low-ready and I will be shouting suggestions for them to not move because a LEO and ambulance is on the way. If they misinterpret my loud suggestions as orders I can only guess that LOUD = AUTHORITY in their thought process. I am not and do not care to even suggest I am a LEO. I am only concerned they will make their situation worse if they run.

It is the same if they don't have a weapon. Stop the crime if it is violent, with limitations, and/or against a child but let the criminal run if they want. Be a good witness and let law enforcement do their job. That is my plan anyway.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DoubleActionCHL

Post by DoubleActionCHL »

Once you've disarmed your assailant, you've effectively taken him into custody. At this point, you've assumed responsibility for his well being. If he trips and falls, has a seizure or maybe a heart attack, you can be held liable. Do you want this liability and responsibility? I don't! Sometimes it's best to simply let them go.

In addition, if you can avoid it, you never want to get close enough to actually make contact with the assailant, even if he appears compliant. You're putting your life at risk when you do this. Also, how do you hold your gun, apply handcuffs or zip-ties and call 911 all at the same time?

http://www.doubleactionchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Houston, Texas

"Excuses are for tombstones. Get back in the fight."
--Me

karder

Post by karder »

IMO, it's way too dangerous to attempt to apply restraints. I have a black belt in two martial art forms and teach self-defense, and no, I am not a peace officer. My feeling is that once you get close enough to apply the restraints, a whole world of possible counter attacks open up to the BG who you had previously subdued via the threat of your firearm. I have never known a cop who would not wait for backup when dealing with a potentially dangerous suspect if he had any option. My advice is be safe, protect yourself and your family and never put yourself in a more dangerous position than necessary to achieve that purpose. It seems to me, that if you have subdued an assailant through striking, punching or kicking, he is likely to offer little resistance if you were to cuff him due to the physical fear/pain you have instilled in him. If you have subdued him with a firearm, and he feels that the firearm is momentarily no longer a threat, such as when you make contact with him to restrain him, the fight may very likely be back on. He has no fear of you, only your weapon which he may deem to be safely pointed away. Just my thoughts.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

karder wrote:IMO, it's way too dangerous to attempt to apply restraints. I have a black belt in two martial art forms and teach self-defense, and no, I am not a peace officer. My feeling is that once you get close enough to apply the restraints, a whole world of possible counter attacks open up to the BG who you had previously subdued via the threat of your firearm. I have never known a cop who would not wait for backup when dealing with a potentially dangerous suspect if he had any option. My advice is be safe, protect yourself and your family and never put yourself in a more dangerous position than necessary to achieve that purpose. It seems to me, that if you have subdued an assailant through striking, punching or kicking, he is likely to offer little resistance if you were to cuff him due to the physical fear/pain you have instilled in him. If you have subdued him with a firearm, and he feels that the firearm is momentarily no longer a threat, such as when you make contact with him to restrain him, the fight may very likely be back on. He has no fear of you, only your weapon which he may deem to be safely pointed away. Just my thoughts.
Welcome to the forum karder! And IMO very wise advice from our new member.

Most individuals will not cooperate like you see in the movies where they just give up and go peacefully. I have seen many 'mean' drunks that just want to fight anyone when they have had a few too many. While they may be sober enough to realize they are not 'bullet proof' against an armed individual, as karder stated, they may still feel '10 feet tall' and will be ready to go again after the firearm threat is down. As a LEO, the only ones I ever really had to fight were either drunk or high. Chances are great that the one you end up facing in a self defense situation may be of a similar inebriated condition and mindset.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jguzman75

Post by jguzman75 »

joe817 wrote:
:iagree:
:iagree: 100%

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”