How many CHL's in my county?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mlane300
Posts in topic: 5

How many CHL's in my county?

Post by mlane300 »

Here's what I need to know: How many CURRENT CHL holders are there in a specific county. I'll use Denton County as an example....I realize the data may only be as recent as 2008, so that is fine. When I checked DPS website it shows it issued 2,610 license applications in calander year 2008 for Denton County. So is that the total number of CHL holders in Denton County or just the ones issued their licenses in 2008?

Do you guys know of a website that will list how many people have their CHL in a particular county? I've heard you could look this up by ZIP code but I haven't found it. I am not needing names of who is a CHL licensee, just how many in a certain area.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

ntexaschl
Posts in topic: 3

Re: How many CHL's in my county?

Post by ntexaschl »

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... aphics.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above link will take you to "Demographical and Statistical Information." Once at that page, click on "Demographic Reports for Fiscal Year 2008." It's about mid-page. Then look for "CHLB Reports Sorted by County."
Last edited by ntexaschl on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
mlane300

Post by mlane300 »

Thanks for the link, however, that is where I got the data in the example in my original post. If you click on let's say Denton county for calendar year 2008, is that the total number of CHL holders for Denton County or just the number of CHL's issued in Denton County during that time frame?

I do appreciate you help!

Topic author
mlane300

Post by mlane300 »

Ok, I just clicked on the "Active CHL licensees and insructors for 2008" tab and it only show the total number statewide. I am needing the numbers for a particular county.
Thanks again.

ntexaschl

Post by ntexaschl »

mlane300 wrote:Thanks for the link, however, that is where I got the data in the example in my original post. If you click on let's say Denton county for calendar year 2008, is that the total number of CHL holders for Denton County or just the number of CHL's issued in Denton County during that time frame?

I do appreciate you help!
I modified the link....try again. Sorry for the goof up earlier

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mlane300 wrote: So is that the total number of CHL holders in Denton County or just the ones issued their licenses in 2008?
It is the number of licenses issued in 2008. There is not a breakdown publicly available that I am aware of which shows currently licensed CHL holders by a county, city or zip.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
mlane300

Post by mlane300 »

Are you talking about that PDF file? If so, it is only showing the total number of licensees (314,574) as of December 31, 2008. Where can I find this information broken down by county or ZIP code?
Thanks again, I hope I am not being a pain!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mlane300 wrote:Are you talking about that PDF file? If so, it is only showing the total number of licensees (314,574) as of December 31, 2008. Where can I find this information broken down by county or ZIP code?
Thanks again, I hope I am not being a pain!
Like my post says, I don't believe there is a publicly available document that shows a breakdown by county, city or zip.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Topic author
mlane300

Post by mlane300 »

Yep, sorry about that Keith. I hadn't seen your reply yet about this information not being available. I was still responding to the other fellow. I do appreciate you guys helping me out.
Thanks

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mlane300 wrote:Yep, sorry about that Keith. I hadn't seen your reply yet about this information not being available. I was still responding to the other fellow. I do appreciate you guys helping me out.
Thanks
No problem, and welcome to the forum. Enjoy it!!! :tiphat:
Keith

ntexaschl

Post by ntexaschl »

I guess that's true. It lists only the CHL licenses issued for the preceeding year. It does list them by county, though. Denton county had 2,160 CHL licenses issued during that time.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by seamusTX »

It's probably a safe guess that each county has about five times the number of CHLs that are issued every year. Some are new licences and some are renewals. Some people don't renew for various reasons.

The past year is an anomaly. Many more people than normal applied for the first time. I expect that to level out.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Well, DPS DOES make such statistics available, by month. The problem is that you have to specifically request, and it will cost you money, and only in your zip code:

Sec. GC 411.193. STATISTICAL REPORT. The department shall make available, on request and payment of a reasonable fee to cover costs of copying, a statistical report that includes the number of licenses issued, denied, revoked, or suspended by the department during the preceding month, listed by age, gender, race, and zip code of the applicant or license holder.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

It's a crying shame they don't provide this free of charge for data the ENTIRE State(since they already have compiled monthly statistics), like they do on the annual report, and simply publish it on their website.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

pdubyoo

Post by pdubyoo »

In the CHLB report, sorted by county, it shows the number of applicants within that fiscal year. But there is a % next to the number of applicants...what does the % mean??

For example...Harris County in 2008:
# Applicants - 10,959
% - 14.99%

Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist (no disrespect NASA folks) to figure out that this % is not a correlation to population. So, what is it?

EDIT: Inserted link to report: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... Issued.pdf
Nov. 2010...Check!
Nov. 2012...Don't Give Up!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

lrb111
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lrb111 »

For example...Harris County in 2008:
# Applicants - 10,959
% - 14.99%
That 10,959 was 14.99% of the total of applications in Texas for 2008. :tiphat:
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”