State Fair

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Keith
Posts in topic: 7

State Fair

Post by Keith »

Ive read we can carry but that it had to be checked at the entrance. You still carry just the CHL has to be confirmed. Info was not found at this sight. So do I have to do this at the entrance? If yes how do I do it? Thanks for any replies.
When the bullet leaves
You can't bring it back

shawn
Posts in topic: 1

Re: State Fair

Post by shawn »

I think the theory is that your gun would probably be detected by the metal detector, at that point you would tell them you are licensed to conceal.... The past 3 years I have been there (not a CHL holder at the time), they wand me, it goes off due to something in my pockets, and they just wave me in without asking me to empty my pockets. Its been pretty much a joke.

Topic author
Keith

Post by Keith »

That helps. I didnt want to just walk up and just hand them my license if the person at the entrance had no clue what I just handed them. Ill wait and see who else pipes in thanks again. :cheers2:
When the bullet leaves
You can't bring it back

mikeintexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mikeintexas »

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... state+fair

Check this link,Keith. It was started last week. It has more information for you. :txflag:

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

They are probably all used to seeing the CHL, but if there's more than one look for the person that appears in charge. If there's an LEO at or near the gate show your CHL to him or her.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

shawn wrote:I think the theory is that your gun would probably be detected by the metal detector, at that point you would tell them you are licensed to conceal.... The past 3 years I have been there (not a CHL holder at the time), they wand me, it goes off due to something in my pockets, and they just wave me in without asking me to empty my pockets. Its been pretty much a joke.
The first time I carried there, with a full size .45ACP 1911 at 3 o'clock on my hip, the guy that wanded me completely missed my gun and waved me through before I could show him my CHL. Then of course I made the mistake of actually telling him I was carrying and we waited for about a half hour before we got the rest of the way in.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

Keith wrote:Ive read we can carry but that it had to be checked at the entrance. You still carry just the CHL has to be confirmed. Info was not found at this sight. So do I have to do this at the entrance? If yes how do I do it? Thanks for any replies.
Just approach an officer near the gate or discreetly mention it to the "detector guy". I've done it, and it's no hassle. We typically enter the gate near the midway. Looks like it will be warm this weekend, but then cooler! Should be fun... yum fried butter...
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

winkydo

Post by winkydo »

yup, you can even show the wand person your chl and they will just wave you though to talk to the leo. make sure you tell them the secret pass phrase...

thank you for your time.
:thumbs2:
Criminals don't buy retail. - TLE2

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Headed to the Fair tomorrow. I'll let you know how it went.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mikeintexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mikeintexas »

jimlongley wrote:
shawn wrote:I think the theory is that your gun would probably be detected by the metal detector, at that point you would tell them you are licensed to conceal.... The past 3 years I have been there (not a CHL holder at the time), they wand me, it goes off due to something in my pockets, and they just wave me in without asking me to empty my pockets. Its been pretty much a joke.
The first time I carried there, with a full size .45ACP 1911 at 3 o'clock on my hip, the guy that wanded me completely missed my gun and waved me through before I could show him my CHL. Then of course I made the mistake of actually telling him I was carrying and we waited for about a half hour before we got the rest of the way in.
The same thing happened to me last year with my PT145 in my shoulder rig. The lady with the wand stopped on the keys in my pocket and never raised it above my belt. I kept my mouth shut and walked in though. I guess the wife and I will have to load up the grandsons and ride the DART train to the fair this year. :txflag:

Topic author
Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks for all the info
When the bullet leaves
You can't bring it back

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Just back from the Fair. It started off a bit ominously when I approached the gate and the first person with a wand. I showed her my CHL and she said, "Oh. Show that to him." She was wearing a yellow shirt and he was wearing a blue shirt. He asked for my DL and I showed him that and then he got out a pen and note pad. I asked what that was for and he said that he had been told by his supervisor to write the name, address, DL, and CHL license number down so they could verify that they had checked this person if anything were to happen while I was inside. In my most polite, but somewhat socked voice, I said, "You can't do that." He had several other people's information in this little book. I told him couldn't collect this information and could be in violation of the law for doing so. He said we should go ask the police officer and I agreed. We should my DL and CHL to the officer and she asked what the problem was. I told her and said it seemed like the park was collecting information on CHL holders that amounted to registration and that the collection of this information without a warrant could possibly be in violation. She agreed without hesitation and said that I was the first person to challenge this and that she didn't know it was occurring. No one scanned me and we went right on in.

A grand total of $215 later we had a great time. I was disappointed with the auto show. It seemed like there was only 2010 models on display and not as many concept cars as in the past. My daughter did enjoy the Jeep Challenge rock climbing wall, Texas Star ferris wheel, and the boat ride that swings back and forth real high and she wanted the back row. We saw the show in the planetarium about the stars in our sky. She did not want the fried butter. I was surprised. I ate a Philly cheese-steak with shrimp and it was good.

Everything is over priced. Coupons/tickets are $10 for 20 and are only good for rides, food, and drinks. Game cards are the same price, but only good for games. I don't understand why they're on a different system, but whatever. The game cards for everything would be easier. They have barcode that the scanners deduct the number of credits from for each game. That would work great for everything else the coupons are for and we wouldn't be fumbling counting out coupons and trying not to drop any.

I carried my G27 OWB in Blackhawk level 2 at 3 o'clock and two spare hicaps at 9 from 1200-1800 without any problems. I did not go on any rides that turned upside down. The G27 would have been fine, but I'm not sure about the spares.

Tomorrow is going to be warm. Stay cool and drink that expensive water if you go. Indoors is a good respite from the heat and sun. Have fun!

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

Great report C-dub! Thanks for sharing ! :tiphat:

Sorry about the little hickup at the beginning, but good for you for challenging the name taking person!! :thumbs2: :thumbs2: You did a great service for pointing that out to the officer! Heads should roll over that little stunt! :mad5
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Oh, let me tell you, my wife was freaking out. She kept it contained, but she let me know later that she couldn't believe I challenged their policy. It was one of those, here he goes again moments. She told me she told our daughter, while I was discussing the matter with the park employee and the officer, that we might not be going to the fair today when all of a sudden the police officer told me to have a nice day and enjoy the fair.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Now that I've had a couple of days to think about this I have a question for those that know.

Was I correct that the park or anyone else cannot collect this information or did I just run a good bluff? I think I was correct, but if challenged I could not have provided any reference to a statute to back up my assertion.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”