Support for banning handguns continues to fall in America

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Kythas
Posts in topic: 1

Support for banning handguns continues to fall in America

Post by Kythas »

From The Economist, a British publication.

http://www.economist.com/daily/news/dis ... d=14632169

DESPITE electing an unusually liberal president, on at least one measure Americans are more conservative than at any time before. Public support for a ban on handguns has fallen to 28%, the lowest level in nearly 50 years, according to a new poll from Gallup. When Americans were first asked the question in 1959, 60% were in favour of introducing a law to ban handguns, but support has declined steadily. Enthusiasm for stricter laws relating to the sale of firearms is also ebbing, falling from 78% in 1990 to 44% today. Polls suggest that 43% believe laws should not be made tougher.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

joe817

Re: Support for banning handguns continues to fall in America

Post by joe817 »

And now for something completely different, from the other side of the fence:

From The Economist, a British publication(with proper perspectives).

DESPITE electing an unusually liberal president, on at least one measure Americans are more conservative than at any time before. Public support for allowing handguns has risen to 72%, the highest level in nearly 50 years, according to a new poll from Gallup. When Americans were first asked the question in 1959, only 40% were in favour of introducing a law to lower handgun restrictions, but support has climbed steadily. Enthusiasm for less restrictive laws relating to the sale of firearms is also climbing, rising from 32% in 1990 to 56% today. Polls suggest that 57% believe laws should be made more relaxed.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Finally, I'm in a majority. :lol:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

It's good to see that our side is winning the hearts and minds of the American people. :anamatedbanana
Charlie

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

TxRVer wrote:It's good to see that our side is winning the hearts and minds of the American people. :anamatedbanana
TxRVer,

I hate to be the rain on your awning, but please be reminded that the present administration DID NOT come from America's heartland but rather from the the left coast and the liberal cities in the east and elsewhere; e.g., Austin, TX.

Remain ever vigilant, the battle is a long way from won.

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I would also point to Congresspersons statements on health care: That they're going to pass it despite what the people want.

Politicians are notorious for loosing sight of the mainstream.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

shawn

Post by shawn »

I'm starting to think that Obama may be the best thing thats happened to gun rights/awareness in a long time. When have seen gun owners more impationed and organized. Gun ownership is at a high.... representatives have sent letters to the president saying they will oppose new gun legislation... pro-gun bills such as the Montana bill have come to be on the Obama backlash... we'll see what else is in store..but so far, nothing bad... except I can't find .380ammo anywhere :biggrinjester:

goinincircles

Post by goinincircles »

shawn wrote:... except I can't find .380ammo anywhere :biggrinjester:
i think i may have met you thru another fishing board related to a local lake. if u r in desperate need of some 380 ammo,i could let you have a box of winchester 95gr fmj for the same price i picked it up for last week. with tax it was 37 to 38 bucks for a box of 100. not the greatest price but far better than the close to a dollar a round that people have been paying. walmart on redbud had 5 100 round boxes and the guy let me buy all 5 of them. 380 is the only round in short supply anymore and even it's starting to show up more and more.

nils

Post by nils »

YEAHHHHHHHHH :anamatedbanana
Sent Packet 7/27
DPS Received 8/11
Plastic in Hand 11/07/2008!!!!

Nils F.
Colt Defender
Springfield Armory Operator-Full Rail
Galco IWB Holster

Crapshoot

Post by Crapshoot »

Kythas wrote:From The Economist, a British publication.

http://www.economist.com/daily/news/dis ... d=14632169

DESPITE electing an unusually liberal president, on at least one measure Americans are more conservative than at any time before. Public support for a ban on handguns has fallen to 28%, the lowest level in nearly 50 years, according to a new poll from Gallup. When Americans were first asked the question in 1959, 60% were in favour of introducing a law to ban handguns, but support has declined steadily. Enthusiasm for stricter laws relating to the sale of firearms is also ebbing, falling from 78% in 1990 to 44% today. Polls suggest that 43% believe laws should not be made tougher.
Unfortunatley the back swing of this sort of shift typically brings and an intensified reclaimation from the he-man gunhaters club. Brady Center and Co. will see this as a sincere threat to their trade and issue an onslaught of anti-gun propaganda that is likely to rekindle the fearful concerns of ignorant Americans.

Ever heard the phrase "don't poke at a bear you can't kill"? God willing, I'm wrong and this becomes another mark in the win column for 2a supporters and Amercian's in general. But if I'm right, this could be the calm before the storm.
‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln
CHL
NRA
Conservative American
Die Hard Texan

txbirddog

Post by txbirddog »

People are starting to realize that they will have to protect themselves. With our economy continuing to deteriorate, they realize what can happen.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”