Do you keep your doors locked at home?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JLaw
Posts in topic: 3

Lock 'em, folks...

Post by JLaw »

I'm reviving a thread here. Tonights incident defines why you should lock your doors.

My wife, son and myself were sitting on our couch looking at photos with our neighbor across the street and her baby. Wife and neighbor could see out the window to the street, and commented on a car outside that did not belong to a house in this neighborhood. About a minute later, somebody tried to open our front door, not knock on the door, OPEN THE FRONT DOOR. I jumped up and grabbed the latch to the deadbolt (which was locked, as usual), and held it in the locked position and blocked the door with my body. The young male outside tried a second time to open the locked door as I asked who was there, and he responded "I'm here for Mike". A little confused by the situation, I asked again who was there and his response was the same the second time, and I noticed from the peep hole he was looking at the door, behind him, and at the door again. I responded as firmly as possible that Mike wasn't here, but noticed that he was still standing at the door. As firmly as possible I again said that Mike was not here, and he finally turned and left the neighborhood.

I'm not convinced that this was a home invasion attempt, but this fellow tried to come into MY house without permission, while my family was here, looking for someone who does not live here. I have a feeling this was a young punk, maybe intoxicated, who mistook this house for one of this friends. Maybe I'm jumping the gun on posting this here, but things would have gotten very frightening quickly if my door was unlocked and this fellow came in through my front door.

The good things are that a) the door was locked, b) I was armed (IWB), and c) the young punk left.

Still a little shaken, even though this occured 2 1/2 hours ago. One thing I'm happy about is my wife asked what she should do in a situation like this if I'm not home. I hope my response was correct, I told her to grab our son and run to the bedroom, get her handgun, and call 911 and report a "home invasion in progress". I'd rather let the sheffif's deputy ask the guy why he's trying to come into my house than my wife ask him why he's there.

Keep them locked folks.

JLaw

Diode, I'll probably come by to your shop tommorrow to talk to you.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Good post & reminder. Good instruction for the Wife. I would have tried to get a liscense # & let the Sheriff visit w/ him even if he did not get in.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

TxFire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxFire »

I'll post an embarrasing experience from years ago. My wife and I were newly married and living in a tiny apartment. I had just recently purchased my first firearm, a Rossi .357 revolver. We were going to go out with some friends and everyone was going to meet at our place. Wife was in the bathroom dolling up all pretty and I was in the living room watching TV. This apartment had one small hall that led from the bedroom to living room and had a door to the bathroom directly accross from the front door. Suddenly the front door opens and I assume it is one of our friends. It was NOT! I did not recognize this man. I FROZE trying to figure out how I was going to get past him to the bedroom to get the gun. Now the entrance was accross for the bathroom where dear wife was and she comes out screaming at him to get out now, and he does. Though she used some more colorful language at the time. We later find out it was a drunk friend of a neighbor looking for his apartment.
Leasons learned:
1)LOCK the door.
2) Do something. The gun was out of the question, but was all I could focus on and it all fell apart there.
3) Don't interupt the wife while doing her hair. She may use foul language out of her character. :lol:
Last edited by TxFire on Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

longtooth wrote: I would have tried to get a liscense # & let the Sheriff visit w/ him even if he did not get in.
I tried, by the time I decided it was safe to open the door the car he was in was rounding the corner, all I could make out was it was a small gold car.

JLaw

Diode
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Diode »

Good job Jlaw! Glad it worked out. My wife is the door monitor, she lockes it and checks them constantly. Of course I am the dipstick that keeps forgetting

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Good job all the way around. It is a lot easier for us to Monday QB from here after the fact than for the victims at the time.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

longtooth wrote:Good job all the way around. It is a lot easier for us to Monday QB from here after the fact than for the victims at the time.
:iagree:

The random dunderheads running around these days, poking around our homes, sure do make it exciting doesn't it???
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I hope you still called and reported it. Some LEOs are good at tracking down these characters.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

MarshalMatt

Re: Do you keep your doors locked at home?

Post by MarshalMatt »

I think it's a habit, like putting on your seatbelt. I simply have NEVER not put on my seatbelt in the last 34 years of driving...even going up the street. Locking your doors is really the same thing. I am so security conscious, that I lock everything all the time. Must have been a warden in my last life...LOL.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

I'll be the bad guy. We don't lock the back door until we leave or at night.
We're also completely fenced, gated, with cameras...
Last edited by cb1000rider on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Absolutely yes! And once we leave the house, the alarm is set.

Should someone come to either the house or RV after dark, my .45 caliber loudenboomer is in my right hand behind my hip when I answer the door. Why do you ask?
Last edited by Oldgringo on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

MarshalMatt wrote:I think it's a habit, like putting on your seatbelt. I simply have NEVER not put on my seatbelt in the last 34 years of driving...even going up the street. Locking your doors is really the same thing. I am so security conscious, that I lock everything all the time. Must have been a warden in my last life...LOL.
More likely an inmate. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

03Lightningrocks wrote:[ Image ]
That ain't the only one. Are we runnin' out of new questions/ issues and/or hypothetical CC events?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”