New online CHL application & procedures

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Re: New online CHL application & procedures

Post by jmra »

alrobjr wrote:My wife has her CHL packet that we applied for online 3yrs. ago and paid $140.00 . My question is she wasn't ready to get her CHL at that time but she now has her pistol and is ready to procede with the test , can she use the same application pack or do we have to apply and pay for a new one ? :patriot:
It doesn't hurt to call DPS and ask. You may get lucky and the app is still in the system.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

txpilot
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txpilot »

I seem to be having a problem with the DPS site to upload application documents. When I applied, I ended up sending them by snail-mail, as I had tried 4 times to upload and I always received error messages back from the server (they were all .PDF's, so that wasn't the problem).

Now my wife is applying, and we are having the same problem. After we fill out all required fields and select the documents, we then hit the upload button, and after about 2-3 minutes, we get a "Web page could not be displayed" error message. We are going to send her documents by snail-mail tomorrow, but does anyone know why this could be happening?

Not that it makes any difference, but I had 4 documents and she only has 2 documents to upload.

Seems to me like their web site needs some work. (By the way, I tried it with Internet Explorer 10 and also with Chrome - same results).

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 11

Post by sjfcontrol »

Well, I would suggest you scan them in monochrome, and at reduced resolution. So the file sizes are minimized. No guaranties, but it might help.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pawpaw »

sjfcontrol wrote:Well, I would suggest you scan them in monochrome, and at reduced resolution. So the file sizes are minimized. No guaranties, but it might help.
:iagree: When I submitted my renewal, I had to re-scan one of my documents to reduce the file size. Once I did that, it went right through.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

txpilot

Post by txpilot »

Thanks for the tips.

My scanner wouldn't let me choose a resolution for the scan to PDF, so I scanned her documents as .jpg and then they uploaded successfully.

It's amazing that the web site won't accept the 1MB .pdf files we originally tried.

houserco
Posts in topic: 1

Post by houserco »

Just as an FYI - I applied Oct 23rd. Used to live in TX until I was 21 and moved to another state for 15 years. Moved back in May. Went and applied for a new license beginning of October. While waiting took my CHL class on the 16th of Oct. Received my DL in the mail (needed audit number before CHL app). Applied 23rd uploading all supporting documentation. Received a letter dated Oct 24th stating they needed my fingerprints (even though I had already uploaded all supporting docs). I called that day (Fri 31st) and they said no worries already manufactured. Received today. 9 days from applying. Not bad at all. :)

atticus

Post by atticus »

I renewed my license online recently. It could not have been easier. They even used my same photo they had on file from my first CHL five years ago. It seems that the DPS is treating renewal in a very gun friendly manner. ;-)

dartsinsa

Post by dartsinsa »

While the process is quite easy (assuming I did things correctly) they are not clear about some supporting documents.
What are "Born out of Country Documents"?
I assumed Report of Consular Birth and scanned that old doc and attached, I guess we shall see.
Lucky I still have that ancient scroll.......

rentz

Post by rentz »

atticus wrote:I renewed my license online recently. It could not have been easier. They even used my same photo they had on file from my first CHL five years ago. It seems that the DPS is treating renewal in a very gun friendly manner. ;-)
just did mine online hope they can use all those old docs , etc.

Rebel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rebel »

dartsinsa wrote:While the process is quite easy (assuming I did things correctly) they are not clear about some supporting documents.
What are "Born out of Country Documents"?
I assumed Report of Consular Birth and scanned that old doc and attached, I guess we shall see.
Lucky I still have that ancient scroll.......
I was born in Mexico, while my Parents were on vacation, so for me the paperwork is a "Certificate of Citizenship", that I had to scan and make a copy of on my original application in 2010. Luckily I have kept my CHL file on my computer and still have all my documents digitally. So I sent that in vis the websites secure mail program.

What had messed me up though, is that I forgot about the requirement to call in or send a copy of the bar code, so I have seen no updates on my renewal. After coming on here last night and seeing that I needed to do that, I again make a jpeg copy and sent it in last night via the secure system. So hopefully in the next few days, I'll actually see an update page instead of the
"CHL APPLICATION STATUS: If you have a pending CHL application, please allow sufficient time for processing. If you have not already done so, please submit all of the items listed on the checklist you received. DPS will notify you by mail if further information or additional documents are required.
" page I've been staring at for a week, wondering what I did wrong.

Good thing though, is my CHL is still good till March, I just decided to renew both my DL and CHL at the same time, and give me a few month buffer incase there were any unforeseen issues.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

At https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it says returning users can check the status of an application, but I never see a page that lets me check status, just that verbage that says I should give the system enough time to process the application.

It would be nice to know the application is actually submitted.

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

treadlightly wrote:At https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it says returning users can check the status of an application, but I never see a page that lets me check status, just that verbage that says I should give the system enough time to process the application.

It would be nice to know the application is actually submitted.
Didi you send in the bar code?

After almost a week and a half, I'm still just getting the "verbiage" page, so I called today and they told me they just inputed my system in yesterday, so I should see an update page in a few days.

dartsinsa

Post by dartsinsa »

FWIW, I had checked the website a few times, most recently this Monday, and always got the same "give it time" message as the above posters.
I was pleasantly surprised to get the license yesterday. One day shy of three weeks since fingerprinting, and over the holidays to boot.
Have to give Texas major kudos for that kind of service.

adaboy5

Post by adaboy5 »

I just got my license in the mail today as it was still showing the same " wait for enough time to process page" so I think something must be wrong with the online system. One thing I did notice the links to change address, report lost card were there one day as it was not before. I called the week prior and the lady told me my application was being processed. i was totally shocked to get it in the mail today!

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Just an update got my renewed CHL, shipped out join the 16th, so wasn't even 3 weeks from online renewal till new card issued.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”