New online CHL application & procedures

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

eureka40
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New online CHL application & procedures

Post by eureka40 »

You must go to the contact page.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Select concealed handgun from the drop down menu.

Fill out all the fields.

Then upload your confirmation email as a file using the browse button. Only DOCs, PDFs, JPEGs, GIFs files are allowed.

Then click submit.

Then your done.
TSRA Life Memeber

05kas05
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 05kas05 »

well as long as i did everything right it is now just a waiting game only time will tell.

** eureka40 thanks for the help it is appreciated**

Tall Man

Post by Tall Man »

Charles- Perhaps you can help with an interesting situation I have with my online application. Everything has been completed and I am ready to mail everything in. However, the Online Application Checklist says that I need to submit a CHL-6 Form along with 2 passport photos. I printed off the form and it specifically states that this is only for applicants that do not have a TX drivers license. I have had a TX drivers license since 1977 and am not sure if I should just note that on the application and send it in (w/o the CHL-6) or if there will be a problem with TX DPS if I do not send in specifically what is mentioned on the check list. Sorry for the long question but everyone I have talked to says they have never heard of this happening before.

Thanks........Tall Man

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 11

Post by sjfcontrol »

Tall Man wrote:Charles- Perhaps you can help with an interesting situation I have with my online application. Everything has been completed and I am ready to mail everything in. However, the Online Application Checklist says that I need to submit a CHL-6 Form along with 2 passport photos. I printed off the form and it specifically states that this is only for applicants that do not have a TX drivers license. I have had a TX drivers license since 1977 and am not sure if I should just note that on the application and send it in (w/o the CHL-6) or if there will be a problem with TX DPS if I do not send in specifically what is mentioned on the check list. Sorry for the long question but everyone I have talked to says they have never heard of this happening before.

Thanks........Tall Man
They haven't updated the software yet. The photos are not needed provided you have a Texas DL.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Tall Man

Post by Tall Man »

Thank you, I was gettng a little nervous. I sat on hold for 20 minutes with TX DPS in Austin and the lady that answered the phone said not to even worry about noting the checklist page that I had a TX DL. She said if I was the initial applicant it defaults to that every time, interesting.....

DaveT
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DaveT »

05kas05 wrote:i just renewed my chl online and my checklist does say to mail or email it with all other items listed my checklist does not have any other items listed on it so i was going to just email the checklist to dps as it states but there is no email address. so i guess i will just send it in if needed can anyone confirm that we actually have to send in the checklist in order for the process to start?

Any updates to report?

I completed all the online renewal stuff, paid the fee online with CC, then mailed in the checklist by itself as no supporting documents were indicated on the checklist as needed. That was on October 30, website status every day just shows that they are awaiting required documents.

I was under the impression that going to an online procedure for renewal would speed up the process....... :banghead:

Is anyone else willing to share information on their renewal process under the new online system? How long it took, or is taking?

Thanks.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

DaveT wrote:
05kas05 wrote:i just renewed my chl online and my checklist does say to mail or email it with all other items listed my checklist does not have any other items listed on it so i was going to just email the checklist to dps as it states but there is no email address. so i guess i will just send it in if needed can anyone confirm that we actually have to send in the checklist in order for the process to start?

Any updates to report?

I completed all the online renewal stuff, paid the fee online with CC, then mailed in the checklist by itself as no supporting documents were indicated on the checklist as needed. That was on October 30, website status every day just shows that they are awaiting required documents.

I was under the impression that going to an online procedure for renewal would speed up the process....... :banghead:

Is anyone else willing to share information on their renewal process under the new online system? How long it took, or is taking?

Thanks.
If you mailed it on Oct. 30th, DPS probably didn't get it until Monday, Nov. 4th. (USPS 1st Class Mail has slowed.) That means DPS has had it only 7 full workdays and only 8 workdays even if they got it on Friday. The website is rarely up to date because they are using everyone they can to process applications. My instructor renewal states the background check is still in process and that's wrong because I've already been to a renewal class and that can't happen until you pass the background check.

Online applications for new and renewal are much faster and uploading documents is faster yet. I wouldn't worry at this point.

Chas.

DaveT
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DaveT »

Thank you Mr. Cotton, I appreciate your reply and information. :cheers2:

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

eureka40 wrote:You must go to the contact page.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Select concealed handgun from the drop down menu.

Fill out all the fields.

Then upload your confirmation email as a file using the browse button. Only DOCs, PDFs, JPEGs, GIFs files are allowed.

Then click submit.

Then your done.

Did all of that and backed it up with a USPS letter 3 weeks ago and still the DPS site states they have not received my info... Aggravating to say the least...

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Bozz48

Post by Bozz48 »

Max, you probably won't see an update on the web site for at least 2 months. I was beginning to think all my stuff had been lost in the mail, but then on day 63, the web site updated and the the next day it went to pending manufacturing. That is the last step before being mailed.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

It took mine 7 weeks. I was unarmed from 12/13 till today.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Jnsey

Post by Jnsey »

After starting the online application, how long do you have to submit it? I'm taking my class in the next few weeks but won't be able to submit my app till the 14th of March due to that's when my 10 years will be up. I want to get everything ready to go so that all I will have to do is hit submit. Also when submitting a certified court document, will I still need to mail it or can I scan and upload to the online application?

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Jnsey wrote:After starting the online application, how long do you have to submit it? I'm taking my class in the next few weeks but won't be able to submit my app till the 14th of March due to that's when my 10 years will be up. I want to get everything ready to go so that all I will have to do is hit submit. Also when submitting a certified court document, will I still need to mail it or can I scan and upload to the online application?
My recent experience suggests that it is NOT GOOD to have things separate--the DPS may have trouble assembling the information.

We applied one day, submitting online docs another (less the FAST), and then got fingerprinted on another occasion using FAST which transmits the data to the DPS directly. Almost four months later I still do not have my CHL.

So it would be my opinion, particularly because you have a certified document to submit, that you provide everything at one time, except possibly for the FAST process, via USPS.

alrobjr

Post by alrobjr »

My wife has her CHL packet that we applied for online 3yrs. ago and paid $140.00 . My question is she wasn't ready to get her CHL at that time but she now has her pistol and is ready to procede with the test , can she use the same application pack or do we have to apply and pay for a new one ? :patriot:

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 11

Post by sjfcontrol »

alrobjr wrote:My wife has her CHL packet that we applied for online 3yrs. ago and paid $140.00 . My question is she wasn't ready to get her CHL at that time but she now has her pistol and is ready to procede with the test , can she use the same application pack or do we have to apply and pay for a new one ? :patriot:
Payments are only valid for one year. Sorry, start over. However, if you're referring to a paper application "packet", it can all be done online now.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”