New online CHL application & procedures

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 3

Re: New online CHL application & procedures

Post by Mike1951 »

I realize I was jumping the gun by a year but wanted to know what to expect next year.

Besides, it might apply to someone sooner.

The email and reply should explain.
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 7:22 PM
To: CHLS
Subject: Question about senior citizen rate

This actually won't apply until 2011, but wanted to clarify.

My license expires on my 60th birthday. If I renew in the prior six months, I will still be 59 and would not qualify for the reduced rate.

Yet, the new license would take effect the day after my 60th birthday.

Also, this will be my fifth class, so I will qualify for a pass on taking the course.

Once my 6 month window arrives next year, what may I expect?

License #xxxxxxxxx

Sincerely,

Mike xxxxx
If you apply online prior to your 60th birthday you will pay standard amount. If you mail in your application process you can submit the discounted rate for senior citizens.

Simone
Customer Service II
Texas Department of Public Safety
Austin, Texas 78773
So, we are all supposed to apply online, but if I apply online I don’t get the discounted fee.

But if I mail the application, I can get the discounted fee.

But this being my fifth renewal, I don’t have to take the class so I won’t be getting an application.

What am I overlooking? Or is it Catch-22?
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Good new Mike! DPS has already had their system upgraded to apply the discount regardless whether you apply online or with a "paper" renewal forum. If the discount would be available on the date your CHL would have expired (your birthday) it is calculated properly when you apply online prior to expiration.

How's that for a fast response time?

Chas.
Mike1951 wrote:I realize I was jumping the gun by a year but wanted to know what to expect next year.

Besides, it might apply to someone sooner.

The email and reply should explain.
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 7:22 PM
To: CHLS
Subject: Question about senior citizen rate

This actually won't apply until 2011, but wanted to clarify.

My license expires on my 60th birthday. If I renew in the prior six months, I will still be 59 and would not qualify for the reduced rate.

Yet, the new license would take effect the day after my 60th birthday.

Also, this will be my fifth class, so I will qualify for a pass on taking the course.

Once my 6 month window arrives next year, what may I expect?

License #xxxxxxxxx

Sincerely,

Mike xxxxx
If you apply online prior to your 60th birthday you will pay standard amount. If you mail in your application process you can submit the discounted rate for senior citizens.

Simone
Customer Service II
Texas Department of Public Safety
Austin, Texas 78773
So, we are all supposed to apply online, but if I apply online I don’t get the discounted fee.

But if I mail the application, I can get the discounted fee.

But this being my fifth renewal, I don’t have to take the class so I won’t be getting an application.

What am I overlooking? Or is it Catch-22?

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike1951 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Good new Mike! DPS has already had their system upgraded to apply the discount regardless whether you apply online or with a "paper" renewal forum. If the discount would be available on the date your CHL would have expired (your birthday) it is calculated properly when you apply online prior to expiration.

How's that for a fast response time?

Chas.
Pretty amazing! I get a answer from Simone on June 14th. Issue resolved by June 15th.

Many thanks, Charles!
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

W42
Posts in topic: 1

Post by W42 »

is it possible to drop off the packet if you live in austin rather than mail it?
Online Application Submitted 6/5/2010
Class Taken 6/29/2010
FAST Prints Taken 7/1/2010
Packet dropped off to Licensing office on 7/1/2010
Plastic in hand 7/30/2010

AnthonyTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AnthonyTX »

So whats the best process for this? Can I apply online first then take the class? Or take the class then apply online?

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pawpaw »

AnthonyTX wrote:So whats the best process for this? Can I apply online first then take the class? Or take the class then apply online?
Makes no difference. I took the class back in October, but didn't do the online application until the end of May. DPS received my packet May 27th and I got my plastic on July 6th - exactly 40 days.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

AnthonyTX

Post by AnthonyTX »

Pawpaw wrote: Makes no difference. I took the class back in October, but didn't do the online application until the end of May. DPS received my packet May 27th and I got my plastic on July 6th - exactly 40 days.
Thanks for the response Pawpaw I actually meant more along the lines of which way would yield the speediest return of the plastic. :)

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pawpaw »

AnthonyTX wrote:
Pawpaw wrote: Makes no difference. I took the class back in October, but didn't do the online application until the end of May. DPS received my packet May 27th and I got my plastic on July 6th - exactly 40 days.
Thanks for the response Pawpaw I actually meant more along the lines of which way would yield the speediest return of the plastic. :)
That's what I took you to mean. It makes no difference. Then I gave you my personal example.

Do it whichever way you feel comfortable with and good luck!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Post by troglodyte »

It was previously reported that some FAST locations were not doing fingerprints for CHL applicants. This has changed and every FAST/L-1 location is doing prints for CHL's
I may have been the one reporting that but I just checked with the Lubbock L-1 and they verified they are now doing CHL fingerprints. As of our July instructor's class the DPS (at least in the class) were not sure if all locations were doing them.

:hurry:

The online application is a great improvement.

I do wish I could fill out a sample online app. (or at least look at the form) so I could let my students know what to expect. I'll have to look over one of their shoulders. Maybe the DPS could put up dummy pages under the instructor's information page.

TaildraggerJ3

Post by TaildraggerJ3 »

Does anyone know what the "evidence of handgun proficiency, in the form and manner required by the department" will be? I've renewed my CHL 4 times and the last one (January a year ago) did not require the renewal class or shooting qualification. I'm now 60, so my next one will be at a reduced rate. By the time it comes up again they'll probably have re-revised the laws 2-3 times, but just wondering what the new "evidence of handgun proficiency" will entail.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 11

Post by sjfcontrol »

"Evidence of handgun proficiency" is the shooting test. (Not required on the third renewal, as you've noted.)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

TaildraggerJ3

Post by TaildraggerJ3 »

I guess my question should have been, "will it be the same shooting test we've been taking?" My guess is yes, but I didn't find an answer in the statutes.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

There is only one shooting test. Except for instructors, who get to take the test twice (once semi-auto and once revolver) and must pass at 90% instead of 70%. Yes, the same test as always.
Never Forget. Image

Van

Post by Van »

I applied online and received a checklist that stated that I need to submit (2) sets of fingerprints.
Then, I attended the CHL Class where the instructor took passport (2) photos and (1) set of fingerprints. When asked, the instructor said no, that they only require (1) set of fingerprints.
It hasn't been very long since I mailed the package of documents, prints and photos but I have received confirmation that the package was delivered two weeks ago. Yet the status of my application still shows that they are waiting for required documents.

Should I be concerned that I only submitted 1 print set as provided by the instructor instead of the 2 sets of prints as stated on the check list?

Thanks,
Van

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Nope -- only one set of FP needed now. :woohoo
Never Forget. Image

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”