Is there a grace period?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton, longtooth

Is there a grace period?

Postby Venus Pax » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:47 pm

My license expires this year. If I don't renew it before my birthday, is there a grace period for taking the five hour course and just paying for renewal, or would I have to go through the entire process all over again & pay the full fees?
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.
Venus Pax

Re: Is there a grace period?

Postby KFP » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:08 pm

You have one year from the expiration to still be considered a renewal, after that you'd be required to start all over. You can get it done six months prior to your date of expiration. The CHL-100 is valid for six months.
Quality CHL Instruction
Life Member NRA & TSRA
KFP

Postby jagged97 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:35 pm

KFP is correct. it is important to note, however, that you MAY NOT carry on an expired license.
jagged97

Postby OverEasy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:51 pm

A Pennsylvania permit might be the answer.
A copy of you TX drivers license, a copy of your TX CHL, a one page form and a check for $26 and in just a FEW weeks you'll be good for 5 years.
Centre county PA Sheriff Denny Nau: http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/lice ... cation.asp

It was painless and FAST! We have them!

Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?
OverEasy

Postby dubya » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:58 pm

This is interesting. PA? I wonder why a county Sheriff is issuing out of state licenses instead of the state itself?
Any issues with Texas honoring out of state licenses for in state residents that you know of?
Thanks,
JW
Last edited by dubya on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JW, Sons of the Republic of Texas
NRA, TSRA
dubya

Postby E.Marquez » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:28 pm

OverEasy wrote:A Pennsylvania permit might be the answer.
A copy of you TX drivers license, a copy of your TX CHL, a one page form and a check for $26 and in just a FEW weeks you'll be good for 5 years.
Centre county PA Sheriff Denny Nau: http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/lice ... cation.asp

It was painless and FAST! We have them!

Regards, OE

sweet.... filled out, will send on the way home..
No words or opinions I post in this forum are intended to be offensive to any member here. If you feel insulted, offended, or otherwise upset, feel free to PM or email me and we can discuss it like gentlemen. Thanks (PS I reserve the right to insult you in person should the need arise.)
E.Marquez

Postby KFP » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:20 pm

dubya wrote:This is interesting. PA? I wonder why a county Sheriff is issuing out of state licenses instead of the state itself?
JW

$$$
Quality CHL Instruction
Life Member NRA & TSRA
KFP

Postby E.Marquez » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:27 pm

KFP wrote:
dubya wrote:This is interesting. PA? I wonder why a county Sheriff is issuing out of state licenses instead of the state itself?
JW

$$$

He is $26 richer as of 15:10 today
No words or opinions I post in this forum are intended to be offensive to any member here. If you feel insulted, offended, or otherwise upset, feel free to PM or email me and we can discuss it like gentlemen. Thanks (PS I reserve the right to insult you in person should the need arise.)
E.Marquez

Postby dubya » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:40 pm

I understand the Sheriff would want the revenue. Just curious he has the authority to issue non-resident licenses.
Edit: Licenses that are accepted by the state of Texas.
JW, Sons of the Republic of Texas
NRA, TSRA
dubya

Postby E.Marquez » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:44 pm

I've received two CHL now in states where the local sheriff is the issuing authority for the state license.. WA and OR. I doubt this is any different.

AK was a state deal like TX is
My other CHL's from SC and NC… well I don’t really remember who I processed though.
E.Marquez

Postby OverEasy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:02 pm

dubya,
As I understand the process, in PA each county is responsible for issueing CC licenses, not some office in the capital. Each co. has some leeway as to what they do. Centre co. PA has chosen to issue non-resident permits without hassle, some counties won't. I think a number of states let the counties issue permits. The law is standard across the state.
Every county in PA accepts out of state permits that the state has agreed to.

This part is for everybody who reads this post:

I got the information from the May/June 2008 TSRA Sportsman magazine. JOIN the TSRA!!!!!! :txflag:

Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?
OverEasy

Postby Oldgringo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:03 pm

This has sorta' gotten off topic; however:

Texas has some of the more restrictive CHL requirements of any of the "Shall Issue" states. Also note the various 'no guns allowed' notices, vs. Texas' own 30.06 and 51% signs, throughout the other states.

Czech it out http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Oldgringo

Postby seniorshooteress » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:41 pm

PA CHL.... Humm looks pretty easy to get. I have bookmarked the site for future reference. Maybe some day in Texas it will be this easy..........? :mrgreen:
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!
seniorshooteress

Postby E.Marquez » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:30 pm

bronco78 wrote:
KFP wrote:
JW

$$$

He is $26 richer as of 15:10 today

Received the Centre Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms license today. 14 days mail box to mail box :smilelol5:
E.Marquez

Postby Ropin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:52 pm

Isn't the PA license based on you having a valid resident license in your home state?

In other words, if your TX CHL expires (is no longer valid), then the PA license would also be no longer valid, until your RX renewal goes through.

I don't know if there has been a test case on that one or not.
Class 08/08
Packet Sent 08/10
Processing app 08/31
Complete 10/21
Ropin

Next

Return to General Texas CHL Discussion