Is there a grace period?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bowed_Up_Onaspeck
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is there a grace period?

Post by Bowed_Up_Onaspeck »

Here's my $0.02 worth.

Looks like the only additional state you would add would be WV.

In Nevada it is the County Sheriff that issuses their state licn.

Ok .... now I'm broke. :lol:
Nevada CFP
Applied 04/23/10
Plastic 06/22/10
Utah CFP
Applied 04/28/10
Plastis 06/26/10
Texas CHL
Mailed 05/11/10
Plastic 07/06/10
9mm
  • Kahr PM9
    Sig 239
    Glock 34

jester

Post by jester »

Ropin wrote:Isn't the PA license based on you having a valid resident license in your home state?

In other words, if your TX CHL expires (is no longer valid), then the PA license would also be no longer valid, until your RX renewal goes through.
Can you please quote the law on this?

Because my PA license has an expiration date but it's not the same as the expiration date on my TX CHL (nor any other of my firearm licenses.)
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

It is my understanding that...

You have to have a valid (in this case TX) resident license to get the non-resident PA license.

The OP's Texas license is still valid so s/he was able to send off for the PA supplementary license and has since received it back in their very fast turn-around time.

The OP's TX license can expire this year and s/he may continue to carry on the PA license until it expires 5 years from now. Since the OP will only have a non-resident PA permit until the Texas license is renewed, s/he will not be exempt from the federal no-gun school zones law nor will s/he be able to bypass the background check when purchasing a gun from a dealer.

Is this accurate?
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ropin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ropin »

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(e) Issuance of license.--
  (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

As I read it, if your TX CHL has expired, you do not possess a current license. The question of course is whether or not TX law sees it the same way. Of course, IANAL. YMMV.
Class 08/08
Packet Sent 08/10
Processing app 08/31
Complete 10/21

AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

Ropin wrote:18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(e) Issuance of license.--
  (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

As I read it, if your TX CHL has expired, you do not possess a current license. The question of course is whether or not TX law sees it the same way. Of course, IANAL. YMMV.
To me, it sounds like it only affects whether or not it is issued, I don't see anywhere that says a license becomes invalid after it has already been issued.

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

If you're thinking of getting a Pennsylvania license, don't delay too long. Changes are in the works to require applicants to apply in-person. They can still issue non-resident licenses but only in-person in Pennsylvania, like the Texas class must be done in-person in Texas.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”