Amusing - CHL for I.D.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 4

Amusing - CHL for I.D.

Post by Dragonfighter »

This tickled me. I went to the bank today to take out my two weeks' budget in cash. As is routine I was asked for a picture I.D. I pulled out my license and he noted it had expired (I had renewed it and either never received the new one or the house ate it) and asked if I had a current I.D.
I got the impression that he was fairly new or the DL would have done it. So I said' "Sure, here's my CHL." He had that momentary RCA puppy look and then decided to check the "list" of approved I.D.'s I stood there with a bemused look as he flitted from one list to another mumbling, "It has to be on one of these." He finally signaled his supervisor and she came out. He showed her the card and said he couldn't find it on the list.

She kind of smirked and asked, "What does this say?" She was patient in tone as she pointed to the list.

"Drivers License, military and state/government issued I.D."

She asked, "What's this across the top here?"

He started, "Texas Department of...oh, state issued."

She nodded, smiled at me and returned to her office. I had to chuckle. I have to admire the way she took the opportunity to exploit a teaching moment.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

hheremtp
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Amusing - CHL for I.D.

Post by hheremtp »

"rlol" now that's funny
Steve

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

:biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

Oh! That IS funny! :lol:

I had a similar occurrence a month ago. I applied for a Post Office job back in November & they responded back in late April. When it was time for me to go in for a face to face interview(everything prior to that was done on the internet), they had me fill out ANOTHER application. And I had to supply 2 forms of "official ID". NATURALLY I forgot my birth certificate, or voter registration card, OR my Social Security card. So, guess what? The ONLY 2 forms of ID I had with me at the time, were my D.L. & my CHL. So I gave them my CHL, as it's "another state or federal government issued ID". It was accepted with not a question asked. The guy fingerprinted me right then & there(really neat scan method), and everything went through without a hitch.

:txflag:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

joe817 wrote:Oh! That IS funny! :lol:

I had a similar occurrence a month ago. I applied for a Post Office job back in November & they responded back in late April. When it was time for me to go in for a face to face interview(everything prior to that was done on the internet), they had me fill out ANOTHER application. And I had to supply 2 forms of "official ID". NATURALLY I forgot my birth certificate, or voter registration card, OR my Social Security card. So, guess what? The ONLY 2 forms of ID I had with me at the time, were my D.L. & my CHL. So I gave them my CHL, as it's "another state or federal government issued ID". It was accepted with not a question asked. The guy fingerprinted me right then & there(really neat scan method), and everything went through without a hitch.

:txflag:
A similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago when I went to renew my NASA badge. I asked if I could use my CHL as my second ID. Without hesitation, she said "as long as it's not expired."
NRA Endowment Member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Outstanding that it was handled in such a calm and positive way.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

Last time I bought ammo at Wal-Mart, I used my CHL as ID.
I did this because I thought he might see "Concealed Handgun License" and automatically know that I'm old enough to buy the ammo without actually having to stand there for a while and do the math in his head, which is usually what happens.
Things actually did seem to go little faster that time.

hoot

Post by hoot »

I had a similar experience. I needed a birth certificate for one of my grand children
so that we could apply for his passport. The lady behind that counter was observant.
My driver's license was expired. I had to return with a sheet of paper and my
expired license. ... not the first time I have committed a fox pass. :roll:
Hoot
NRA Member
U.S.Army Veteran
9mm Kimber Tac Pro
plastic received on 911 (9/11/09)
WE are AT&T. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

4copas

Post by 4copas »

Similar occurrence for me also. Went to a new post office to change our PO Box and they wanted two forms of ID. DL and CHL went through without hesitation and I was on my way. I just knew I was going to be asked if I was armed (which I wasn't, left it in the truck), but the dude never even missed a beat getting my buisiness done and me out of there. :cheers2:
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

tamc9395

Post by tamc9395 »

I bought a new Mule for a sports league recently and the Kawaski dealer needed to forms of ID. When I asked him about what he needed, he commented that most people have a CHL - without missing a beat I used mine and we all had a chuckle.

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

Different run in.

I tried to withdraw some money from the bank and the teller needed my driver's license. So I handed to her and she looked at and said:"It's not the license."

I was like:"What do you mean? It is the license!"

We went back and forth like three times and then she handed my license back. Well, the new driver license and the new CHL look almost identical and I accidentally handed her my CHL.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AEA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AEA »

Nobody going to post that if your DL is expired then technically your CHL is invalid? :tiphat:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dragonfighter »

AEA wrote:Nobody going to post that if your DL is expired then technically your CHL is invalid? :tiphat:
Technically it wasn't expired, I either threw the wrong one away or the house ate it. It was the $10.00 replacement fee.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 6

Post by sjfcontrol »

AEA wrote:Nobody going to post that if your DL is expired then technically your CHL is invalid? :tiphat:
Statute?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”