Can i Carry into the DMV?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can i Carry into the DMV?

Post by srothstein »

To get old rules (Texas Administrative Code) you need to look in the Texas Register as published on the Secretary of State's web site (http://www.sos.state.tx.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I did a quick search and found that rule 6.47 was repealed in 2001.

So, with the law saying that 30.06 does not apply to government property, you can carry in a DPS office with your CHL. Be careful of the secured area and signs that place it off-limits, but then they need to provide lockers also.
Steve Rothstein

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Collin County's tax/registration office in Plano has an nonenforceable 30.06 sign as of last Monday.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

nitrogen wrote:Collin County's tax/registration office in Plano has an nonenforceable 30.06 sign as of last Monday.
What is it about Plano? Something in the water? :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Keith B wrote:
sgerry wrote:Brain is fried....
anyone remember?
Yes you can as long as it is not in a facility that is otherwise off-limits (i.e. courthouse). It is a state agency and they cannot post it off limits per the statutes.
But they (a state agency) apparently CAN prohibit their employees from carrying via their personnel manual. At least mine does. What sense does that make?

ricor

Post by ricor »

When looking at a few Dallas County Tax Offices I see a Justice of the Peace in the same building. I think that would qualify as a courtroom. What say y'all?

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

ricor wrote:When looking at a few Dallas County Tax Offices I see a Justice of the Peace in the same building. I think that would qualify as a courtroom. What say y'all?
"contains offices 'utilized by' a Court" (even for storage of boxes of old files?)

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/d ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;

yup, if you have a JP in there ... off limits IMHO, that's exactly what Burnet city and Burnet County did.
The CITY utility offices where you pay your bills are in same building as Municipal Court and cashiers for both side-by-side in those "Municipal Offices"
The COUNTY and STATE offices ... and DPS/driver license and county tax office/DMV are in the County Courthouse annex building
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Cstanford

Post by Cstanford »

A bump for someone who stumbles across this anytime after 8/4/2016:

At the Dallas county DMV on Marsh and walnut hill there IS a JP Courtroom in the same building. However, I spoke with 2 DPD officers outside who said that you CAN conceal carry as long as you don't enter the courtroom or JP offices.

Take that as you will.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Cstanford wrote:A bump for someone who stumbles across this anytime after 8/4/2016:

At the Dallas county DMV on Marsh and walnut hill there IS a JP Courtroom in the same building. However, I spoke with 2 DPD officers outside who said that you CAN conceal carry as long as you don't enter the courtroom or JP offices.

Take that as you will.
Ha! Austin City Hall won't like hearing about that. ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Cstanford wrote:A bump for someone who stumbles across this anytime after 8/4/2016:

Take that as you will.

If you can CC you can OC. I have been to my county tax assessor office several time while OC, the only area posted is a separate office for the JP. No issues encountered. They do have another area that was used as a polling place that they had proper signage posted while voting was being held there, but they were temporary signs that were taken down after the elections.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I just renewed my sticker and plates. Waited too long and had to go to the DMW in Tomball (yes, still harris count). No problem at all! In and out in 15 min also!! :thumbs2:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

FYI, for all of you immigrants, here in Texas it is the DPS, not DMV. :evil2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

eyet

Post by eyet »

C-dub wrote:FYI, for all of you immigrants, here in Texas it is the DPS, not DMV. :evil2:
Actually, there is a DMV since 2009. See http://www.txdmv.gov/about-us.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

eyet wrote:
C-dub wrote:FYI, for all of you immigrants, here in Texas it is the DPS, not DMV. :evil2:
:shock: I've been here for almost 30 years and never realized there were two different departments. I think the ones I've been to are both and didn't notice the different name for one area or the other inside.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

C-dub wrote:
eyet wrote:
:shock: I've been here for almost 30 years and never realized there were two different departments. I think the ones I've been to are both and didn't notice the different name for one area or the other inside.

The DMV is a separate entity. The DPS deals with Drivers Licensing, LTC etc.. and is State wide, meaning you can get your Driver's License from any DPS office
The DMV deals with vehicles only, and is administered by the Tax Assessor in each county, meaning you can only register vehicles in the county in which you reside.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”