30.06 AMC Theaters

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Texas Size 11
Posts in topic: 2

30.06 AMC Theaters

Post by Texas Size 11 »

I saw on Texas 30.06 that AMC theaters are posted with 30.06 signage, so I opted to leave my gun in the car when I took my oldest daughter to the movie on her last day of summer (hallelujah!). When I walked up to the theater, I did not see the signage on the door until I looked way down in the bottom right corner of the door. Second, I do not think the lettering is 1 inch (although I got down to see it, I did not bust out the tape measure). Here is what the law states:

Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(B) further states that a sign must meet the following requirements:

i.includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
ii.appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
iii.is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Let's say the letter are one inch in height and the sign meets that requirement. Would a sign in the bottom right corner of a large door be considered "in a conspicuous manner?"

I'll post photos if I can figure it out.

Just curious what the consensus is.

And they are not compliant at AMC in Garland..

Never pet a burning dog...

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 30.06 AMC Theaters

Post by drjoker »

Dude, that's very compliant. It is conspicuous and looks like proper size b/w lettering, too. As long as it's on or reasonably near the door, then it's compliant. Now, if it's obscured by bushes or something, then it wouldn't be conspicuous and therefore non-compliant. Conspicuous doesn't necessarily mean eye-level, but it just means clearly visible.

Besides, if they're CHL and 2nd A hostile, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.... (compliant or not).
Last edited by drjoker on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

There is no way that is a proper sized sign.

A compliant sign, with 1" letters, and all the correct language, will be about 3 feet by 3 feet in size.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Compliant or not (it isn't), if they don't want my gun in there I'll spend my money elsewhere.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

jester

Post by jester »

Texas Size 11 wrote:Let's say the letter are one inch in height and the sign meets that requirement. Would a sign in the bottom right corner of a large door be considered "in a conspicuous manner?"
Setting aside the issue of size, I think a sign posted on the door and visible from outside is conspicuous.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

You may wish to read the previous discussions about AMC.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28376" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Texas Size 11

Post by Texas Size 11 »

jester wrote:
Texas Size 11 wrote:Let's say the letter are one inch in height and the sign meets that requirement. Would a sign in the bottom right corner of a large door be considered "in a conspicuous manner?"
Setting aside the issue of size, I think a sign posted on the door and visible from outside is conspicuous.
Funny thing is I would have never noticed if I did not go looking from them based on the info on Texas 30.06 and this site.
Never pet a burning dog...

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I would say the lettering is not 1" high. The metal bar at the bottom of the door is 4" high for comparison.

To me 1" capitals with smaller lower case lettering does not meet the requirements of the law.

I don't think the capitals are 1" either.

But I'm not on a jury.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Purplehood »

drjoker wrote:Dude, that's very compliant. It is conspicuous and looks like proper size b/w lettering, too. As long as it's on or reasonably near the door, then it's compliant. Now, if it's obscured by bushes or something, then it wouldn't be conspicuous and therefore non-compliant. Conspicuous doesn't necessarily mean eye-level, but it just means clearly visible.

Besides, if they're CHL and 2nd A hostile, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.... (compliant or not).
How do you define it as compliant when it is no where near the specified 1 inch letters? A quarter is just shy an 1/8th of an inch in diameter.
Do you define compliant as pretty-much near what is required by law?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Mike from Texas

Post by Mike from Texas »

Every sign I have seen at AMC is not compliant, but does show intent. I will do my best to take my business elsewhere. And I am sure not about to tell them the sign is not complaint.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

About the last place I'd ever give my money to is an anti-gun movie theater. These days with DVDs and home theaters there is nothing I need less than a movie ticket.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

garcia946
Posts in topic: 5

Post by garcia946 »

That AMC is right by my home , they had different ones up before , in the last couple of months they have changed them and added more signs at doors. Before they had only one , now I think they have 4 I believe.
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

VMI77 wrote:About the last place I'd ever give my money to is an anti-gun movie theater. These days with DVDs and home theaters there is nothing I need less than a movie ticket.
+1.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

garcia946 wrote:That AMC is right by my home , they had different ones up before , in the last couple of months they have changed them and added more signs at doors. Before they had only one , now I think they have 4 I believe.
I'm pretty sure that four signs with quarter inch letters don't equal one sign with one inch letters.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”