Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton, longtooth

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby jmorris » Thu May 03, 2012 6:57 am

JJVP wrote:
markmac56 wrote:Looking at the signs at my post office, I can carry concealed inside...unless, of course there is something that I am unaware of, such as school and courthouses, etc. ..


You are in violation of Federal law and will go to jail if caught. No signs are required in a federal facility. :rules:
You should hope that a fed does not read this thread. You just confessed to a federal crime. Expect a visit by the FBI soon. :smilelol5:


What about:
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be
posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal
facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted
conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court
facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under
subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such
notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had
actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.
User avatar
jmorris
Senior Member
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: San Antonio - Northeast

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby one eyed fatman » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:48 pm

What about:
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be
posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal
facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted
conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court
facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under
subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such
notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had
actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.


Nobody who wrote that knows what it means. It's just :rules: more blaberations (law with no meaning or purpose).
one eyed fatman
Banned
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Tx

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby Iunnrais » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 pm

S'ok. Try going to the post office that's in the old Customs Building in downtown Houston. It also houses the local MEPS center and once you step through the door, you are required to empty your pockets into the x-ray bin, go through the metal detector, get wanded just as if you were going through airport security.

Our oldest swore into the Army monday and while we were waiting for her to come down after the ceremony, I took some of the younger kids outside. Poked my head back inside about 10 mins later to see if the wife knew when the oldest was coming down and the nice officers told me that I was required to be searched again before I could step back outside (just stepped right inside the door). They were quite insistent that once you cross the threshold of the building, you _will_ submit to a search and not be allowed to turn around and go back outside.
4-11-11 Packet Mailed
5-27-11 Plastic in hand (Postmark was 5-25-11)
46 Days Mailbox to Mailbox
User avatar
Iunnrais
Senior Member
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:32 am
Location: Houston

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby C-dub » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:12 am

Iunnrais wrote:S'ok. Try going to the post office that's in the old Customs Building in downtown Houston. It also houses the local MEPS center and once you step through the door, you are required to empty your pockets into the x-ray bin, go through the metal detector, get wanded just as if you were going through airport security.

Our oldest swore into the Army monday and while we were waiting for her to come down after the ceremony, I took some of the younger kids outside. Poked my head back inside about 10 mins later to see if the wife knew when the oldest was coming down and the nice officers told me that I was required to be searched again before I could step back outside (just stepped right inside the door). They were quite insistent that once you cross the threshold of the building, you _will_ submit to a search and not be allowed to turn around and go back outside.

Interesting. Who is exactly is doing the insisting here? I'm up near Dallas and don't know this building.
"Immediate necessity makes many things convenient, which if continued would grow into oppressions." Thomas Paine, 1776
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan, January 20, 1981, Inaugural Address
User avatar
C-dub
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8527
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby Jumping Frog » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:31 am

C-dub wrote:Interesting. Who is exactly is doing the insisting here?

MEPS – Military Entrance Processing Station
-Bob . . . NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, TFC member, JFPO member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots.
User avatar
Jumping Frog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4955
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:13 am
Location: Klein, TX (Houston NW suburb)

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby chasfm11 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:42 am

Mirage wrote:I always cover the post office problem in the CHL classes I teach.
Is it a Federal Property? Are there Federal Employees? Can you carry or not?
I usually boil it to down to: I don't want to be the "test case" to find out for sure.
Just like the restaurants having 51% signs AND the blue unlicensed sign,
I know they can't have both, but I leave my gun locked in my Truck when I go inside
just to be sure I am not breaking the law.


To stretch this just a little further, it was my understanding that the parking lot of a Post Office is also Federal property and that you may be in violation of the the Federal requirements if you drive onto it from the street. If this is accurate, just stopping by the drop box is a problem.

For me, the solution is pretty easy. There is a dry cleaner near my house that has a postal window inside their store. There is no way that the parking lot or building is Federal property. It turns out that the dry cleaner can do everything that the Post Office can for me except give me held mail. I haven't been in a real Post Office in a couple of years. Additionally, the staff at the dry cleaner is exceptionally friendly and easy to do business with.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero
chasfm11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby C-dub » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:27 am

Jumping Frog wrote:
C-dub wrote:Interesting. Who is exactly is doing the insisting here?

MEPS – Military Entrance Processing Station

So, the military, local police, or some other hired security personnel? I understand the MEPS thing, but since they are not the only one's in the building I wasn't sure who was providing the "security."
"Immediate necessity makes many things convenient, which if continued would grow into oppressions." Thomas Paine, 1776
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan, January 20, 1981, Inaugural Address
User avatar
C-dub
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8527
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby Iunnrais » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Well, I'm not sure which agency these guys worked for. They wern't MPs, HPD or Harris County though.

Last year when we were there for her swearing into the DEP program (delayed enlistment), it was an old county deputy who didn't make me take off my belt or boots and just wanded me down after the belt buckle & steel shanks in the boot soles set off the walk through detector. These guys on Monday were much more serious and no nonsense.
4-11-11 Packet Mailed
5-27-11 Plastic in hand (Postmark was 5-25-11)
46 Days Mailbox to Mailbox
User avatar
Iunnrais
Senior Member
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:32 am
Location: Houston

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby rootcanals » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:53 am

I have personally gave up on the USPS years ago. I pay extra to use UPS or FedEx. Online bill pay for everything.
rootcanals
Junior Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:17 am

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby AdioSS » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:26 pm

What sucks is when you buy gun parts or even guns online & the seller wants a postal money order. And of course in order to get one of those, you have to pay cash. So you have to disarm to go up to the window in the PO with a substantial amount of cash on you.
User avatar
AdioSS
Senior Member
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:02 am
Location: 75707

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby Jumping Frog » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:17 am

AdioSS wrote:What sucks is when you buy gun parts or even guns online & the seller wants a postal money order. And of course in order to get one of those, you have to pay cash. So you have to disarm to go up to the window in the PO with a substantial amount of cash on you.

You can use a debit card to get a USPS Money Order. The USPS will accept cash, debit card, or traveler's check for payment.

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm

Still doesn't mean I like to be unarmed, but . . . .
-Bob . . . NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, TFC member, JFPO member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots.
User avatar
Jumping Frog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4955
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:13 am
Location: Klein, TX (Houston NW suburb)

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby bikerbill » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Here's my issue ... tho it would be nice to be able to carry inside the PO, you can't even have a gun in your car in the PO parking lot. That means I can't take my EDC out of my pocket or off my belt and lock it in my glovebox; I have to leave it home or park my car in the Dollar Store lot and walk ... THAT's stupid and needs to be changed ...
"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." Robert Heinlein

"The difference between a welfare state and a totalitarian state is a matter of time." Ayn Rand
bikerbill
Junior Member
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:05 am
Location: Lago Vista

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby Morgan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:57 pm

chasfm11 wrote:
For me, the solution is pretty easy. There is a dry cleaner near my house that has a postal window inside their store. There is no way that the parking lot or building is Federal property. It turns out that the dry cleaner can do everything that the Post Office can for me except give me held mail. I haven't been in a real Post Office in a couple of years. Additionally, the staff at the dry cleaner is exceptionally friendly and easy to do business with.



I wonder if you live in my neighborhood... Main and Garden Ridge in Lewisville, this dry cleaner? :)
Morgan
Senior Member
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:55 am
Location: DFW

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby geoelectro » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:35 pm

Dang, I've been carrying n my PO recently since I didn't see any 30.06 signs or any others for that matter. I figured that had changed... No?

Geo
Glock 19
Taurus PT 917c

NRA Member
CHL Holder
User avatar
geoelectro
Member
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:34 pm
Location: Pasadena, TX

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Postby Keith B » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:50 am

geoelectro wrote:Dang, I've been carrying n my PO recently since I didn't see any 30.06 signs or any others for that matter. I figured that had changed... No?

Geo


The Post Office is a federal facility and you can't carry per federal rules. 30.06 is a state law and has no relevence for federal property.
Keith
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Life Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and RSO

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, you're drunk; Ducks don't talk.
User avatar
Keith B
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15522
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Plano, TX

PreviousNext

Return to General Texas CHL Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MrEsco and 10 guests