How to check if a premise is 51%?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

Post by RossA »

I once walked into a restaurant and sat down to eat lunch, carrying as always. After finishing lunch, I walked out and only then saw the red sign on an inside wall where it was only visible as you were either leaving or looking out the entry door, which I didn't do while I was there. I'm certain that I was in violation, and I'm certain that it wasn't my fault, but I wouldn't want to have to explain it to a jury.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 4

Post by warnmar10 »

RossA wrote:I once walked into a restaurant and sat down to eat lunch, carrying as always. After finishing lunch, I walked out and only then saw the red sign on an inside wall where it was only visible as you were either leaving or looking out the entry door, which I didn't do while I was there. I'm certain that I was in violation, and I'm certain that it wasn't my fault, but I wouldn't want to have to explain it to a jury.
There is a 51% chance they were displaying the wrong signage. I've reported 2 restaurants for displaying red when they were licensed blue. Both were corrected within days of reporting to TABC and neither put up 30.06 afterward.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

There's also a TABC APP for iPhones.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

If it is posted, I abide by it. If not, I carry on. I carry concealed anyway. I don't go looking for reasons not to carry.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

warnmar10 wrote:
RossA wrote:I once walked into a restaurant and sat down to eat lunch, carrying as always. After finishing lunch, I walked out and only then saw the red sign on an inside wall where it was only visible as you were either leaving or looking out the entry door, which I didn't do while I was there. I'm certain that I was in violation, and I'm certain that it wasn't my fault, but I wouldn't want to have to explain it to a jury.
There is a 51% chance they were displaying the wrong signage. I've reported 2 restaurants for displaying red when they were licensed blue. Both were corrected within days of reporting to TABC and neither put up 30.06 afterward.
:iagree: I have also seen two different restaurants take down a 51% sign after I filed a complaint on the TABC website. Both of those were supposed to have the blue sign according to their license. Neither of them put up a 30.0X either.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 4

Post by warnmar10 »

Lynyrd wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:There is a 51% chance they were displaying the wrong signage. I've reported 2 restaurants for displaying red when they were licensed blue. Both were corrected within days of reporting to TABC and neither put up 30.06 afterward.
:iagree: I have also seen two different restaurants take down a 51% sign after I filed a complaint on the TABC website. Both of those were supposed to have the blue sign according to their license. Neither of them put up a 30.0X either.
If only the TX attorney general's office was as efficient in addressing invalid signage issues as the TABC is...

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

However, it's my understanding that you are in violation if the place is 51%, even if a sign is not posted. IOW, you are responsible for knowing the law/restriction. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

oohrah wrote:
However, it's my understanding that you are in violation if the place is 51%, even if a sign is not posted. IOW, you are responsible for knowing the law/restriction. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
You are mostly correct. A violation has occurred, but there is a defense to prosecution if the sign is not posted or not posted correctly.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

C-dub wrote:There's also a TABC APP for iPhones.
This is what I came here to mention. I don't know if there is an android version, but there probably is. The iphone version works really well for me. You can even submit a complaint right through the app if a business has the wrong sign up. It's really convenient. We were at the Melting Pot in the Arlington Highlands a while back, and they had a photocopy of a red sign up behind the bar. I doubted it was correct, but disarmed and had our meal. Looked them up later and it was listed as a blue sign location. Submitted a complaint through the app, but haven't been back to see if they changed signs.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

LucasMcCain wrote:
This is what I came here to mention. I don't know if there is an android version, but there probably is. The iphone version works really well for me. You can even submit a complaint right through the app if a business has the wrong sign up. It's really convenient. We were at the Melting Pot in the Arlington Highlands a while back, and they had a photocopy of a red sign up behind the bar. I doubted it was correct, but disarmed and had our meal. Looked them up later and it was listed as a blue sign location. Submitted a complaint through the app, but haven't been back to see if they changed signs.

Same for me, back around Christmas, I stopped in a the Lone Star Oyster bar, on Bryant Irvin Road. At the front door they had a sign that said both licensed and unlicensed carry were prohibited. I opened the door without going in, and saw two red 51% signs above the bar area. I did not go in, but looked it up later, and saw that it was listed as a blue gun sign premise. I filed a complaint, but circumstances, have not put me back in that area, to see if it was changed. I would like to be able to find out through the TABC app, exactly what, if any, action was taken.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

LucasMcCain wrote:
Yep. It's available for both.

http://www.tabc.texas.gov/mobile/index.asp
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

I don't understand some of the requirements. Dirty Jobs Brewery in Downtown Mansfield, Texas is a new Brewery but sells for onsite consumption. I went in there unarmed because I was positive it was a 51% location as they serve no food only beer they brew. When I looked at the TABC app they show a no on red gun sign. How can this be? My receipt for beer purchased there shows Dirty Job Brewery. I didn't look for a blue or red sign as I was positive it was 51%.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

1911 10MM wrote:I don't understand some of the requirements. Dirty Jobs Brewery in Downtown Mansfield, Texas is a new Brewery but sells for onsite consumption. I went in there unarmed because I was positive it was a 51% location as they serve no food only beer they brew. When I looked at the TABC app they show a no on red gun sign. How can this be? My receipt for beer purchased there shows Dirty Job Brewery. I didn't look for a blue or red sign as I was positive it was 51%.
As a brewery, they probably make more than 51% of there sales for off-site consumption. The on-site is not where they make there money apparently.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

Keith B wrote:
1911 10MM wrote:I don't understand some of the requirements. Dirty Jobs Brewery in Downtown Mansfield, Texas is a new Brewery but sells for onsite consumption. I went in there unarmed because I was positive it was a 51% location as they serve no food only beer they brew. When I looked at the TABC app they show a no on red gun sign. How can this be? My receipt for beer purchased there shows Dirty Job Brewery. I didn't look for a blue or red sign as I was positive it was 51%.
As a brewery, they probably make more than 51% of there sales for off-site consumption. The on-site is not where they make there money apparently.
Interesting. I guess I won't disarm next time I visit. Looks like a win win!

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

I've found almost no places that have tables to serve food to be 51%. LIterally, over the last 12 years of carrying, I look all the time and if they serve food as a restaurant, they're not 51%. Even a lot of places that you'd think would bel because they focus on alcohol like BJ's Brewery, etc.

One exception is The Flying Saucer. They have tables and serve food, but are 51%.

The iPhone App is very handy.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”