The 4-hour gent

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The 4-hour gent

Post by Divided Attention »

kjolly wrote:I was at the range yesterday and did not realize a cease fire had been called in the regular range because a CHL class was qualifying on the private range reserved for them. Half way to the bench a range officer stopped me that I could not carry a gun to the bench. The sound of their gunfire had me thinking the range was hot.
:shock:
Every range I have been to it didn't matter if you were the queen of England, if a ceasefire was called, you finished the course of fire and STOPPED. I wouldn't want to be on a walk to my long range target with a CHL class firing somewhere nearby. JMPHO...
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LikesShinyThings »

Divided Attention wrote:
kjolly wrote:I was at the range yesterday and did not realize a cease fire had been called in the regular range because a CHL class was qualifying on the private range reserved for them. Half way to the bench a range officer stopped me that I could not carry a gun to the bench. The sound of their gunfire had me thinking the range was hot.
:shock:
Every range I have been to it didn't matter if you were the queen of England, if a ceasefire was called, you finished the course of fire and STOPPED. I wouldn't want to be on a walk to my long range target with a CHL class firing somewhere nearby. JMPHO...
"Half way to the bench.... could not carry a gun to the bench" - sounds to me like someone coming onto the line, not going downrange to check target. So I don't think it is an issue of someone being in front of the line while there is live fire, but rather new shooter coming in and setting up, which is usually, I believe, done specifically when the line is hot and not during cease fire.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Divided Attention »

Should have been more clear, jumped from start to end of thought - sorry.

Any range I have been at has had NO activity at the line - all had to step behind the line during ceasefire. Including special classes.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Divided Attention wrote:Should have been more clear, jumped from start to end of thought - sorry.

Any range I have been at has had NO activity at the line - all had to step behind the line during ceasefire. Including special classes.
Some ranges have a LOT of shooting lanes, so they divide the range into "bays". Elm Fork (Dallas) is such a range as you can see in this picture from their website.

(Open the image in a new tab to see the whole picture.)

Every group of 10 or 12 shooting lanes is separated by a solid barrier, from the shooting line to the backstop. This gives each range officer a manageable and well defined portion to control. Each bay is run as a separate "range". Bay 2 can have a cease-fire while Bays 1 & 2 are still "hot".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”