[Pre-paid legal service]

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Badger531
Posts in topic: 1

[Pre-paid legal service]

Post by The Badger531 »

Does Anyone belong to the [Pre-paid legal service] and if so it is reeally worth the $$ we went to the gunshow in Pasadena this weekend and signed up for it it seems like a good deal BUT what do you Think?? http://www.[Pre-paid legal service].com
Sincerly,

The Badger531
CHL Class Taken On 1/03/08
Sent in Application On 04/13/08
PIN Received on 06/03/08
Chl app Approved License issued 9/2/08
Plastic in Hand 9/4/08

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Re: [Pre-paid legal service]

Post by ELB »

Links to previous discussions of this here:

FAQ: Lawyers, PrePaid Legal, CHL Insurance

I know one guy who has this type of pre-paid legal service (i.e. for SD shootings); he likes it a lot because he has used prepaid legal services in his business and thinks it saved him a bundle. To my knowledge, he has never had to use the SD version. I don't know which company he went with.
USAF 1982-2005

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Excellent service. Well worth the money.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Justin Franklin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Justin Franklin »

edit: removed by user
Last edited by Justin Franklin on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help support the Second Amendment by joining the NRA! We would not have a CHL program without them!

Southeast Texas CHL
Concealed Handgun Classes in League City
http://www.setxchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Justin Franklin

edit: removed by user
Last edited by Justin Franklin on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help support the Second Amendment by joining the NRA! We would not have a CHL program without them!

Southeast Texas CHL

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

is there a legal-instance out there. I mean is there any insurance that will pay your legal bills (civil/criminal) no matter what is the cost? Is is affordable?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Justin Franklin

Beiruty wrote:is there a legal-instance out there. I mean is there any insurance that will pay your legal bills (civil/criminal) no matter what is the cost? Is is affordable?
Here's a link to the NRA Endorsed Self Defense Insurance Coverage. They provide reimbursement if you are acquitted of the charges and they will also reimburse civil costs up to the limit of your policy.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/defense.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$100,000 Limit - $165.00
Excess Personal Liability & Self-Defense
$250,000 Limit - $254.00
Excess Personal Liability & Self-Defense

Southeast Texas CHL

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Beiruty wrote:is there a legal-instance out there. I mean is there any insurance that will pay your legal bills (civil/criminal) no matter what is the cost? Is is affordable?
The NRA coverage is a reimbursement policy for criminal charges, meaning you have to win, then get reimbursed up to the amount of the coverage. I think $50,000 is the coverage limit. The civil coverage is a regular liability policy, meaning the insurance company will hire defense counsel for you and will cover damages up to the policy limit. I do not recall if there is a limit to defense costs, what we call an "eroding policy."

Chas.

pcgizzmo

Post by pcgizzmo »

Charles,

Being an attorney do you recommend this type of insurance? Also, I'm not familiar with your area of practice but do you defend self defense shootings? Thanks....

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

pcgizzmo wrote:Charles,

Being an attorney do you recommend this type of insurance? Also, I'm not familiar with your area of practice but do you defend self defense shootings? Thanks....
I would never suggest that someone get or not get insurance or other protection; it's purely a personal decision. Just make sure you know precisely what you are getting and are not getting.

I'm a civil trial lawyer, so I could represent anyone sued for a self-defense shooting, but that's highly unlikely. I know criminal law because of my 30 years of work on this issue, but I don't practice in the criminal courts.

Chas.

LOLWUT
Banned

Post by LOLWUT »

I've been considering this for a few weeks now. I think after christmas I'll ante up. :patriot:

thatguy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thatguy »

I would like to qualify the fact that I am involved with [pre-paid legal] as they discuss part of the Texas penal code in my CHL classes. I have been working with them for a little over a year now and have watched thier client base grow.There are two things that I have decided about them. First and foremost I have mad a consciense decision to use deadly force in a given situation (God forbid that happens) regardless of my "legal coverage". Second, it is a service where if I need them I call one of ther attorneys who are on stand by 24/7. It is not a pre-paid legal service, it is truly a retainer for a lawyer. The fact is if anyone is involved in a shooting the police will show up and we will need an attorney. This is not the time to have to find one.

God Bless and Be Safe,

Brian Mobley

CHL Instructor
CHL Holder for 13 years
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Brian Mobley wrote:I would like to qualify the fact that I am involved with [pre-paid legal] as they discuss part of the Texas penal code in my CHL classes. I have been working with them for a little over a year now and have watched thier client base grow.There are two things that I have decided about them. First and foremost I have mad a consciense decision to use deadly force in a given situation (God forbid that happens) regardless of my "legal coverage". Second, it is a service where if I need them I call one of their attorneys who are on stand by 24/7. It is not a pre-paid legal service, it is truly a retainer for a lawyer. The fact is if anyone is involved in a shooting the police will show up and we will need an attorney. This is not the time to have to find one.

God Bless and Be Safe,

Brian Mobley

CHL Instructor
CHL Holder for 13 years
Why do you say it's not pre-paid legal? It is my understanding that the fee paid to [Pre-paid legal service] is a flat fee annually. It's not a retainer unless it's a deposit against future billings.

If you are involved with [pre-paid legal], please let TexasCHLforum Members know what is not covered; i.e. what will a defendant have to pay for himself or do without at trial. It has also been reported that one of these programs has a clause that allows them to cancel the agreement at any time. Is that [pre-paid legal]?

Again, I'm not recommending to buy or not buy such coverage, but if people are going to pitch these programs here on TexasCHLforum, I want to make sure our Members are thoroughly informed.

Chas.

juggernaut

Post by juggernaut »

:iagree:

If it's not "pre paid legal" regulated by TDLR then what is it?

Is it a retainer, and the client has to pay the balance himself for actual legal fees less the retainer?

Is it insurance, and the company (and salesmen) are licensed by the TDI where necessary?

What is covered, and what Texas agency regulates the product or service?

Much obliged. :tiphat:

ELB

Post by ELB »

juggernaut wrote::iagree:

If it's not "pre paid legal" regulated by TDLR then what is it?

Interestingly enough, the link provided goes to "For-Profit Legal Service Contracts," which per the FAQs do NOT include "pre-paid legal services." However according to the FAQs at the link, both For-Profit Legal Service Contracts and pre-paid legal services are regulated (in Texas) by the Occupations Code. For whatever that is worth.

I wonder if the reason there seems to be an effort to not be labeled "pre-paid legal" has anything to do with the history of the company known as "Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.". Per the Wikipedia entry (caveat as necessary), this company pioneered pre-paid legal services, but has also had some trouble with various attorney generals and the SEC. I could understand not wanting to be mistaken for a particular company.

Mr. Cotton has provided some pretty clear cut definitions. Retainer = attorney works until the money runs out. Pre-paid = attorney takes flat fee per time period, works as required (and per what's in the contract.)

So which is [pre-paid legal]? Certainly sounds pre-paid-ish. I am interested to see how this comes out.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”