Preachers Church carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Preachers Church carry

Post by powerboatr »

RPB wrote:The friend who thinks Pastors shouldn't carry ... ask why Shepherds carried a rod and a staff.
and .... Why should a sheep be comforted by knowing a Shepherd HAS a rod and a staff?
(Psalm 23)(1 Sam 17:34-35)

(I can't work a slingshot)

that is a great argument.
i am lacking in being well versed
thanks
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dave2 »

longtooth wrote:I have been asked, "what about when you baptize?"
Answer! That is what waders are for.
I thought that's what Glock 17s with the maritime spring cups were for... :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

SecedeTX wrote:Out of my three priests, none carry, but one has a .22 rifle to get small game. Two of them do go on range days with us, and they enjoy shooting.
Since you said "priest", I guess you're RC, unless you're one of the eastern orthodox churches.

You might already know about St. Gabriel Possenti, but if not, he's good to use in an argument.

http://www.gunsaint.com/history.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

RPB wrote: and several in Lubbock ..

"Several" is an understatement. We are more worried about the crossfire in our congregation than the gunman. :shock:

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPB »

troglodyte wrote:
RPB wrote: and several in Lubbock ..

"Several" is an understatement. We are more worried about the crossfire in our congregation than the gunman. :shock:
We choose strategic seating, but yeah, if EVERYONE carries, pews full ... :lol:
The Deacon who sits next to me is overweight and can't get to the floor as fast as others, I tell him no problem, I prefer cover over concealment anyway and offered to buy him ice cream after church .... he started dieting today ... ;-)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Fallsraider

Post by Fallsraider »

not to hijack the thread but it seemed appropriate place to put this here. . .I FINALLY got busted while carrying at church! I'm always careful of the "huggers" and have felt very confident but yesterday as church let out, a friend and his wife came up from behind me and he reached out to poke me in the back to get my attention. . . well he poked me right on the .40 IWB at 4:30. It did kind of startle me and when I turned around he was looking pretty big eyed as well. . .

we just started walking and talking and he said, 'whatcha packin' there?" (I really don't think he thought it was a gun) and I leaned over and quietly told him. . . . . . "insulin pump"!!! He said, "oh my gosh, I had no idea". I just patted him on the back and kept walking and talking to his wife! hahaha Should have seen the look on his face.

I've been just about everywhere I can legally go and I had prepared myself in advance with this answer should I ever get busted unexpectedly. . . and just like training it came right out without even having to think about it. I know there are folks packing in the congregation as we have quite a few LEOs.

SecedeTX

Post by SecedeTX »

Bullwhip wrote:
SecedeTX wrote:Out of my three priests, none carry, but one has a .22 rifle to get small game. Two of them do go on range days with us, and they enjoy shooting.
Since you said "priest", I guess you're RC, unless you're one of the eastern orthodox churches.

You might already know about St. Gabriel Possenti, but if not, he's good to use in an argument.

http://www.gunsaint.com/history.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maronite actually, and I now have a new patron saint :) Thanks for the link

I wonder how much it would cost to get custom "gun saint" grips? Hmmmm.
"Do or Do Not, there is no try" -- Yoda

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

I always like to ask them to explain away Luke 22:36.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

PhilC50

Post by PhilC50 »

I work at a church as well as attend on Sundays and many meetings.
I thought that it was illegal to carry in a place of worship in Texas. Am I wrong? Did I misread the statutes?
PhilC
SR9c with CT Laser
P89

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

PhilC50 wrote:I work at a church as well as attend on Sundays and many meetings.
I thought that it was illegal to carry in a place of worship in Texas. Am I wrong? Did I misread the statutes?
You may have read:

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
HOLDER. (a) ...
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally,
knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority
of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of
whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's
person:
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established
place of religious worship.

BUT YOU HAVE TO KEEP READING...

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor
was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

my partner said his pastor carries....along with about 4 mother members in his church.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

TXlaw1

Post by TXlaw1 »

Dragonfighter wrote:I always like to ask them to explain away Luke 22:36.
:iagree: See below for the instructions from my leader.
Jesus said, "And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 NET) Also, Jesus said, "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own homestead, his possessions are undisturbed"(Luke 11:21 NAS)

ELB

Post by ELB »

As a historical point, in early America, it was once mandatory to bring your weapons to church, and you could be fined if you did not or if the weapon did not function. Clayton Cramer used to have a lot of the early laws on this on his website, but after the copyright troll attack, he took a lot of stuff down, even his own. Dunno if it is still there.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Thanks guys. I knew a goodly percentage of preachers/church staff/members carry to services, but wanted something to actually show a couple of people. Then it went from "No they don't" to "it is wrong." Of course typical arguments of "DOn't you trust God?" to "Turn the other cheek." Of course they lock their cars and doors and have no problem calling 911.One preacher who argued with me about it had actually been arrested one time for being in a fist fight, but chastized me for carrying a gun... lol.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPB »

ELB wrote:As a historical point, in early America, it was once mandatory to bring your weapons to church, and you could be fined if you did not or if the weapon did not function. Clayton Cramer used to have a lot of the early laws on this on his website, but after the copyright troll attack, he took a lot of stuff down, even his own. Dunno if it is still there.
correct.

One could Google something like

"american history" law church gun required

and find these type sites
http://americanvision.org/2342/%E2%80%9 ... 9D-sunday/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and others relating that fact.

At some of the churches I've visited in Texas, they wouldn't care if you "intentionally" "fail" to conceal and people often show their new purchases to each other.... they, the church, consisting of the members/body own the property anyway.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”