CHL holder traveling to Baton Rouge via Greyhound bus

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton, longtooth

CHL holder traveling to Baton Rouge via Greyhound bus

Postby Rayden » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:48 pm

So I checked Greyhound's site and couldn't find any restrictions against actual firearm carried by CHL holder on board. They just had the genearal zero tolerance of things including weapons.

I did the search function and didn't really find any concrete answer, and most of the discussions were back in 2006 and 2007. So if I am traveling to Baton Rouge LA via Greyhound, can I carry my conceal handgun on board? TIA.
Rayden

Re: CHL holder traveling to Baton Rouge via Greyhound bus

Postby Rayden » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:49 pm

.... it's from Houston TX to Baton Rouge LA.
Rayden

Postby Oldgringo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Rayden wrote:So I checked Greyhound's site and couldn't find any restrictions against actual firearm carried by CHL holder on board. They just had the genearal zero tolerance of things including weapons.

I did the search function and didn't really find any concrete answer, and most of the discussions were back in 2006 and 2007. So if I am traveling to Baton Rouge LA via Greyhound, can I carry my conceal handgun on board? TIA.

If it's concealed, who will know?
Oldgringo

Postby Russell » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:01 pm

Oldgringo wrote:
Rayden wrote:So I checked Greyhound's site and couldn't find any restrictions against actual firearm carried by CHL holder on board. They just had the genearal zero tolerance of things including weapons.

If it's concealed, who will know?

Sorry but that's not really a legitimate answer. I believe the OP is wanting to know if he can *LEGALLY* carry concealed on public transportation from Texas to LA.

In Texas, yes. You will need to check LA's gun laws to see if there is any restriction regarding public transportation:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/LASL.pdf
http://www.Texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 Signage Database.
Russell

Postby Jumping Frog » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Russell wrote:In Texas, yes. You will need to check LA's gun laws to see if there is any restriction regarding public transportation:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/LASL.pdf

I doubt LA has something analogous to the Texas 30.06 prescribed signage. In many states, simply posting anything to the effect of "no guns" or "no weapons" is sufficient. Check that part of LA law as well.
-Bob . . . NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, TFC member, JFPO member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots.
Jumping Frog

Postby NEB » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:58 pm

Greyhound doesn't count as "public transportation" does it? I would think it depend on the company's policy.

--NEB
NEB

Postby TxRVer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:22 pm

NEB wrote:Greyhound doesn't count as "public transportation" does it? I would think it depend on the company's policy.

--NEB

I was wondering the same thing since it's not owned by the government... yet.
Charlie
TxRVer

Postby wheelgun1958 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:42 pm

NEB wrote:Greyhound doesn't count as "public transportation" does it? I would think it depend on the company's policy.

--NEB

Greyhound is no more public transportation that the airlines. It is a publicly traded company owned by the shareholders. At least that's the way it's supposed to work.
wheelgun1958

Postby glocklvr » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:28 am

with the exception of the airlines I tend to assume if it doesn't specificly mention CHL it doesn't apply to CHL and carry accordingly but I have never ridden greyhound as an airline employee it is much cheaper and quicker to fly.
It is easier to get an airport security clearance than a CHL
glocklvr

Postby jamisjockey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Just wait 'till the TSA is using the nudoscopes before you board a bus, cross state lines, or ride on a metrorail..... :bigmouth
jamisjockey

Postby alvins » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:14 pm

personally i wouldnt go anywhere in LA without a gun for any reason.
alvins
Banned

Postby mikejarhead » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:29 pm

I will check with my son who i dropped off at the greyhound station two weeks ago. It looked like they x-rayed your luggage but i am not sure if they have metal detectors to walk through.
I thought i something in the news last week about having to call greyhound 24 hrs in advance to let them know you were transporting a firearm. Then you had to lock it up with them.
mikejarhead

Postby maxlib » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:00 pm

I travelled from East Texas to Pensacola on the ol greydog a year and a half ago. I had to transfer in Houston and upon re-boarding passengers were wanded. I didn't have a permit at the time and was not carrying. I was however carrying a new Case pocket knife that I bought as a retirement present for myself. I had bought some food and slipped the knife in the food bag and set the bag down with my other pocket contents before being wanded. I had no idea if it would have been a problem or not and didn't want to take any chances. As far as the policy and laws concerning this I have no clue.
“No, that is the great fallacy; the wisdom of old men. They do not grow wise. They grow careful”. Count Greffi, A Farewell To Arms, Ernest Hemmingway
maxlib

Return to General Texas CHL Discussion