4 Hour CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

AdioSS
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 4 Hour CHL?

Post by AdioSS »

These threads kinda make me laugh. My Texas CHL class was only 4 hours long, & I did not have to do any shooting specifically for that class.

Now before anybody says anything, this particular establishment has permission from TXDPS to offer this for people who take & pass their Level 3 Security Officer class. That class is 30 hours & the range quals are a little tougher than the CHL quals. I did have to take the same CHL test as everybody else. :txflag:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

AdioSS wrote:These threads kinda make me laugh. My Texas CHL class was only 4 hours long, & I did not have to do any shooting specifically for that class.

Now before anybody says anything, this particular establishment has permission from TXDPS to offer this for people who take & pass their Level 3 Security Officer class. That class is 30 hours & the range quals are a little tougher than the CHL quals. I did have to take the same CHL test as everybody else. :txflag:
Please identify this establishment. DPS cannot and will not deviate from the requirements of the Government Code for obtaining a CHL. There are some persons exempt from certain portions of the training requirements, but I know of none that would be as you described. I would love to be wrong, so please let us know who did the training and cite the Code authorizing this deviation.

Thanks,
Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

AdioSS wrote:These threads kinda make me laugh. My Texas CHL class was only 4 hours long, & I did not have to do any shooting specifically for that class.

I just confirmed with a DPS Captain that no such approval has been granted to any company to combine any Security Officer training with a CHL course, or to give any credit towards a CHL.

Chas.

Rebel
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rebel »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

I just confirmed with a DPS Captain that no such approval has been granted to any company to combine any Security Officer training with a CHL course, or to give any credit towards a CHL.

Chas.
Hmm, the plot thickens.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

PM sent

Topic author
R_Comstock

Post by R_Comstock »

So, in the time I was out running the border I see there has been a lot of talk and it basically comes down to the guy is full of crap! :lol:

As for the Utah thing...I don't care to carry a license issued by any state other than the one I call home...certainly not to circumvent the procedures that my state felt necessary to put into place. :txflag:
The name's Ross! :)
---
9/20/09 CHL Class
9/21/09 Application mailed
9/23/09 Application received
10/26/09 Letter from DPS: Missing copy of military orders
10/30/09 PIN Received by mail
11/26/09 Application completed
12/03/09 Plastic in hand
Glock 23, Ruger LCP
NRA Life/TSRA Member

Topic author
R_Comstock

Post by R_Comstock »

AdioSS wrote:PM sent
Can't share with the group? :confused5
The name's Ross! :)
---
9/20/09 CHL Class
9/21/09 Application mailed
9/23/09 Application received
10/26/09 Letter from DPS: Missing copy of military orders
10/30/09 PIN Received by mail
11/26/09 Application completed
12/03/09 Plastic in hand
Glock 23, Ruger LCP
NRA Life/TSRA Member

Grog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grog »

I have been told the same info, take and pass the Level III class (armed security), then take a discounted (and shortened) CHL class that would be the classroom work as the range work would cover both.

It actually does make sense, a tougher course of fire SHOULD be good enough but rarely have I seen many things lately that make sense.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Grog wrote:I have been told the same info, take and pass the Level III class (armed security), then take a discounted (and shortened) CHL class that would be the classroom work as the range work would cover both.

It actually does make sense, a tougher course of fire SHOULD be good enough but rarely have I seen many things lately that make sense.
I reconfirmed with DPS that short CHL classes are not authorized. A combined Level III and CHL class would be okay, but only if the applicants received the full 10 hrs. of CHL, so there would be no advantage unless you get a discount.

Be careful folks.
Chas.

blue

Post by blue »

Some folks have a Utah to have some license when DPS takes 100+ days to process.

Does the new rule cancel the Utah if DPS drags it out beyond your TX expires date?

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

blue wrote:Some folks have a Utah to have some license when DPS takes 100+ days to process.

Does the new rule cancel the Utah if DPS drags it out beyond your TX expires date?
Of course not. But then DPS is currently running MUCH faster than their allotted 60 day limit.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

The Level3 class covers most of the same stuff as the CHL class plus a LOT more. There are a few parts that are specific to the CHL stuff, but that part is covered early on during the CHL class if the instructor knows that some Level3 grads are in their class.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”